• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Lince

Banned
f@luS said:
from every single preview on the final version , the ps3 version seems to be the one stutter free so its weird

links? it's weird indeed, from my experience with both demos TTP's comments are spot-on, the PS3 version of this demo is the one which stutters whereas the 360 counterpart runs flawlessly throughout, I guess we won't know for sure until the retails are out.

near

Gold Member
angelfly said:
How are you supposed to dodge the fire burst from Berial? I can dodge all his attacks except for that one and it ends up taking more than half my life.

Having the same problem. I cant seem to dodge the fire burst :lol Only tried it twice, probably going to give it another go later.

michaeld

Banned
A few pics I took
img0797ma5.jpg

img0799hf4.jpg

img0800cg6.jpg

chapel

Banned
I just checked like 10 mins ago and it was there. I am downloading it now. This will be the first DMC Ill have played. I am kind of excited.

If it's as good as I hope, my expectations aren't super high, then I might actually buy the game.

Holy SHIT. It's fucking incredible, I like it a lot more than the others, even DMC3. And that's saying a lot. I felt like I had a better handle on the controls and the PS3 pad was perfect. Graphics were nice as well. I don't feel so bad about plunking down $80+ for the CE :lol

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
harSon said:
If the Playstation 3 retail version of Devil May Cry 4 does not support 1080i... I'm going to fucking flip.
wrd.

Also this game looks/plays like a dream. For a quick second I'm going to be part of the problem.. does the 360 version have the ice effects in the demo?

cgcg

Psychotext said:
Lacking detail is a good thing now? :lol I'll go play on my CRT instead.

Did I say that? I'm saying you can't make out the details on the 360 because it's a mess, while you can in the PS3 version. Looks like 360 is missing some filter. AF?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMFG

could revving the sword be any more fun? no. no it couldn't.

SO AWESOME. Graphically fucking mindblowing, all games need to be 60 FPS. With customizable controls the 360 version will be excellent. I would move the bumper functions to the triggers. Having any HOLD function on the bumpers is ass. But OMFG!!

-Graphics: some bad textures, but omfg overall!!! Such artistry!! Such stunning vistas and beautiful scenes!!!
-Gameplay: You feel so amazingly in control. You've got so much to do. Revving, grabbing, slashing, building combos, throwing in your guns, jumping and jump cancelling omg.
-Personality: This game has what DMC3 didn't have IMO. The baddies look and behave so cool. They kick so much ass.
-Music: OMFG I can't stop laughing :lol :lol

THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I

AND I HAVE TOO OMFG SO GOOD

DAY 0

TheDuce22

Banned
Kyoufu said:
This is their first PS3 game...

Im pretty sure Dead Rising and Lost Planet use the same engine. They have way more experience on the 360. Plus if you look at all the Lost Planet screenshots its obvious they had to remove some effects and use lower quality textures to get it running on PS3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
just for reference, here are DMC3's standard controls. It's been awhile since I played it, so I really couldn't remember how I'm used to playing it.

X: _ Jump/Roll
Square (|_|): Long-range weapon attack
Triangle (/\): Melee weapon attack
Circle (O): Style Move
L1: Devil Trigger
L2: Switch melee weapons (Vergil)/Switch long-range weapon (Dante)
L3: Change lock-on target
R1: Lock-on
R2: Switch melee weapons
R3: Reset Camera
Left Analog: Move character
Right Analog: Move camera
D-pad Up: Item screen
D-pad Left: File screen
D-pad Right: Equip screen
D-pad Down: Map screen
Start: Subscreen
Select: Taunt

Mrbob

Surprisingly, the game does control very well with the 360 pad. Much better than I anticipated.

I'll check out the PS3 demo when I get my dual shock 3 and decide from there which one to get.

TheDuce22 said:
Im pretty sure Dead Rising and Lost Planet use the same engine. They have way more experience on the 360. Plus if you look at all the Lost Planet screenshots its obvious they had to remove some effects and use lower quality textures to get it running on PS3.
I think this engine is different from the 360's Dead Rising/Lost Planet. Or at least I thought I heard that.

chapel

Banned
cgcg said:
Did I say that? I'm saying you can't make out the details on the 360 because it's a mess, while you can in the PS3 version. Looks like 360 is missing some filter. AF?
Do you even know what AF is?
Anisotropic_compare.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_Filtering

The 360 version suffers from low AA, 2x maybe? The PS3 obviously has a low AF or is using lower quality mipmaps. That can be linked to the difference in available texture memory.

Kyoufu

Just beat Berial without getting hit once. The only times you shouldn't be J-cancelling the flames on his head is when he charges up to blast fire/rocks at you, thats when you simply jump over them. Then the next attack you dodge is the fire from underneath the ground thats locked on to you using a combination of dodge roll for the first and second and a backwards jump for the third.

Very simple, the key part is once his flames are down, you immediately slam him with the Devil Bringer, then after that you do it again for MAXIMUM DAMAGE! Repeat this twice and hes down.

antiloop

Some of those japanese comparisons really shows how close the both versions are. Good job Capcom. Althought the blur is really apparent in the PS3 version. Wonder why it's there. Contrast seems different also.

jett

D-Member
Any high-level vids yet? This is what I'm waiting to come out of this demo.

And eh, going by the comparison pictures, it does indeed seem like the PS3 version has a blur filter going on or something.

Dr_Cogent said:
I can't even hardly see a difference between the two. I think you people are splitting hairs at this point.

Well, yeah. Of course, no less. I mean when you're fighting shit who is really paying attention to minute differences, at best, in textures, filtering, shadows, enemy penis length, etc.? It's ridiculous. Fun, I guess, to see how they stack up but to run it into the ground over like 7 pages of thread is just a waste of time.

edit *looks at thread size* by 7 pages I really meant 15.

newsguy

I enjoyed the demo. I can't wait for the retail version when I can either get rid of the RB lock or simply get the PS3 version.

It's not doing it for me anymore. DMC1 was one of the few games I decided to buy after having rented it, but this time there's nothing. I guess I'm up for something new.

Have fun with the series guys.:)

Oh, the Xbox 360 controller didn't help either.

USD

Playing Nero was a lot harder than I expected, not because of the basic moves (he plays pretty much like Dante, with a few different moves/move properties and a devil arm), but because combining the moves with Exceed. It will be a while before I get timing down perfect. I really wish there was control customization, Exceed mapped to LT worked okay, but not great. I didn't really have any major nickpicks with the 360 controller except for this. But I guess that means in the PS3 version it's mapped to L2 as well. I'll have to try it on PS3 later.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dr_Cogent said:
I can't even hardly see a difference between the two. I think you people are splitting hairs at this point.

Bingo. At best, I notice the 360 doesn't seem as washed-out as the PS3 version and that's not really a big deal at all. Both are 60fps, both are gonna kick ass. End of story.

First demo was kind of lame because it was timed, but second was pretty great.

I only started to like Nero's arm in the boss fight, I think its gonna take some getting used to. Graphics are amazingly good and the fact that it is so smooth just helps.

revving up your sword doesnt seem like it will be that handy in the game, it takes a bit of time to get up to 3.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
ice effects people, i need to know about the damn ice effects >:eek:

edit: the one prob i had with nero was his aerial rave wouldnt work all the time for me. maybe I'm too use to it being mapped to a dif button.

Mamesj

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Is anyone playing the game or are you guys just looking at it.

They don't even own the demos, they're just looking at other people's screenshots. Chances are, they don't even know the title of the game. :lol

love how this thread has devolved into graphics>gameplay

USD

Linkzg said:
First demo was kind of lame because it was timed, but second was pretty great.

I only started to like Nero's arm in the boss fight, I think its gonna take some getting used to. Graphics are amazingly good and the fact that it is so smooth just helps.

revving up your sword doesnt seem like it will be that handy in the game, it takes a bit of time to get up to 3.
Revving up the standard way is useless, but you can charge it up a single level while attacking if you hit the exceed button in the right frame window. With perfect timing, you could have Red Queen permanently in exceed. That's what really separates Nero and Dante.

Dahbomb had a good post on it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9457484&postcount=809

BeeDog

And then people question why today's game developers are so more focused on graphics rather than gameplay... this fucking topic proves the devs' point.

Downloading the demo now, hopefully the game is sexcellent.

Top Bottom