• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, Monster Hunter Bolster Capcom’s Record-High Profits

Helios

Capcom's strong run of form was evident in its full-year financial results, with both revenue and profit on the rise.
In the year ended March 31, 2018, Capcom earned ¥100.03 billion ($904 million) in revenue, up 5.8% year-on-year. Net income for the period was ¥12.55 billion ($113 million), an increase of 14.8% compared to the previous fiscal year.

Capcom's game-focused Digital Contents division was the most lucrative in the company, with revenue increasing 11.9% to ¥82.98 billion ($750 million), and operating income increasing 22% to ¥23.32 billion ($211 million).
That performance was driven by two big launches in this calendar year alone: Resident Evil 2, which had shipped four million units within six weeks, and Devil May Cry 5, which hit two million shipments in two weeks.

However, the single biggest seller in terms of units was Monster Hunter: World, which has now shipped more than 12 million units -- a record for any game in Capcom's history, and more than five million units greater than its shipments at this point last year.
Looking ahead, Capcom stated that it is "redoubling its commitment" to esports, inspired by a larger interest within its native Japanese market.
"Capcom is to making this sector a priority area, and aims to grow the player base worldwide through running leagues that utilize Street Fighter," the company said.
Capcom launched the Street Fighter League in Japan in September, 2018, and announced plans to expand the competition in the United States in January this year.

VertigoOA

Banned
They’re kinda spinning it but for the caliber of title and production quality ... dmcv underperformed. Two million shipped (and it’s probably still somewhere in that ballpark) is poor for a console install base 130+ Million and all the bs online fandom it has an online.

Suck it. Sekiro wipes the floor with that ps2 relic.

I’d love to see some significant monster hunter dlc over a remix. We shall see I guess

Roni

Gold Member
Who would've thought that making perfectly budgeted games targeted with pinpoint accuracy towards that series' core audience would pay off, huh? Glad they're doing more of that now!

who would have thought that giving players what they were asking for would be profitable, eh capcom?

This guy gets it!

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
They’re kinda spinning it but for the caliber of title and production quality ... dmcv underperformed. Two million shipped (and it’s probably still somewhere in that ballpark) is poor for a console install base 130+ Million and all the bs online fandom it has an online.

I’d love to see some significant monster hunter dlc over a remix. We shall see I guess

Bruh moment.

thelastword

Banned
So happy for Capcom, best third party house this gen followed by Ubisoft........I still play SFV every day and their Resident Evil games have all been excellent this gen......Monster Hunter is amazing too.......

Helios

Quality single player and coop games sure made us a loads of money and goodwill from the gaming community, time to focus on ESPORTS. - Capcom.
To be honest, looking at some other articles they said they're looking to focus on both, but since esports are really popular in Japan, they're doubling down on that.

Why do you have to fanboy for one of the games? They both performed well.
Here's the quote from the article
Devil May Cry 5, which hit two million shipments in two weeks.
It hit two million "shipments" in two weeks.
Meanwhile
Activision has sold more than 2 million copies of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice in under 10 days, according to the publisher.
So it seems like both did similarly with Sekiro maybe doing a little bit better. Moreover, they're both big budget releases with a strong fan-base. If anything, From-Soft games are nowadays probably more mainstream than DMC.

Last edited:

Caffeine

"Capcom is to making this sector a priority area, and aims to grow the player base worldwide through running leagues that utilize Street Fighter,"
your gonna have to throw that exclusive deal out the window then and release sfv on xbox and switch to grow the player base.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They’re kinda spinning it but for the caliber of title and production quality ... dmcv underperformed.

I am not sure they spent a huge deal of money making the game... for all the flak DMC4 got, I feel that as great as the game is... DMCV reuses the same environment / environment blocks a lot.

Helios

ESPORTS aren't popular anywhere beside FIFA.
You've got tournaments rivaling or sometimes surpassing mainstream TV numbers. I get the hate for E-Sports, but claiming that it's irrelevant because it doesn't cater to my interests would be just straight up denying the truth. Especially when the market grows each year.

I still haven't gotten into Monster Hunter World. Wanted to dig my toes into it, but the lackluster online infrastructure kept me away.

Despera

Banned
who would have thought that giving players what they were asking for would be profitable, eh capcom?
Japanese devs went through a period of doubt where they didn't trust fans and instead tried to mimic products that catered to a wider western audience.

Capcom, after multiple disappointing releases and mismanaged projects, did the right thing by going back to familiar ground where they feel the most comfortable developing... and there's enough evidence at this point proving Capcom was able to recapture some of that magic.

Just hope that they don't wait too long to release new IPs. A couple more remakes are welcome but by next year I expect at least one major new IP announcement.

iconmaster

Banned
Quality single player and coop games sure made us a loads of money and goodwill from the gaming community, time to focus on ESPORTS. - Capcom.

Yeah, that's a weird statement given that Street Fighter V is definitely not contributing much to Capcom's record-breaking success. I have to think it's just a bone for the investors -- eSports are so hot right now and Capcom wants to convey that they're not missing that boat. They hope to double down on Street Fighter and regain lost ground in that sector.

ghairat

Capcom should restart on fighting games next gen. They need to go towards something close to rival schools

sublimit

Banned
Nice! Now put all those monies behind Dragon's Dogma 2 development!
tenor.gif

GenericUser

I'm glad that capcom is happy with these numbers, although I still wanted RE2 to sell more. It was such an awesome game, I love it.

EDIT: Yeah, the e-sport line is strange. Last time I checked, capcom didn't have a strong esport title in their portfolio or in development.

Last edited:

blackjon24

lol Square Enix JP wish they were that hot right now.

did kh3 sell good?

Kh3 is the best selling game of the year as far I know, square would be doing better than they are now if they were actually releasing games aha

Last edited:

Pejo

Time to combine eSports with giving fans what they want - you know what to do Capcom.

Darkstalkers

Kenji Ramon

Uhhh what. DMCV did not flop in the slightest.

Yeah, that's a weird statement given that Street Fighter V is definitely not contributing much to Capcom's record-breaking success. I have to think it's just a bone for the investors -- eSports are so hot right now and Capcom wants to convey that they're not missing that boat. They hope to double down on Street Fighter and regain lost ground in that sector.

It’s not contributing to record breaking success but the title has been consistent and successful when it’s comes to e-sports. I just want them to release a Super SFV on all consoles with cross-play and upgraded netcode.

Top Bottom