• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

~Kinggi~

Banned
Whats the report when it comes to the ps3 360 differences? Wish digital foundry did something on this.

Ill pick it up eventually.

ScOULaris

Whats the report when it comes to the ps3 360 differences? Wish digital foundry did something on this.

Nobody has mentioned any differences between the PS2 and 360 versions, honestly. I would have to suggest the PS3 version, though, simply because the DualShock controller layout is what these games were originally designed for.

I played both the PS3 version and 360 version at PAX for a couple levels and couldn't see any discernible difference although obviously the location was not a great location for examining things.

Carbonox

Should I worry about using up all my yellow orbs? And is there a way to save before a mission is over?

If you save before a mission is over and then load that save, it will load the start of the mission but with all the items/orbs you collected up to the save point. So if you use all your yellow orbs, you will need to start from the mission's beginning.

Anyway, my DMC2 Platinum trophy adventure is currently sitting on 30% of all achievements done. Beat the game on Normal and going through again to do the odd shite like collectibles, upgrades, blue orbs, etc.

Do I have to finish it on Normal with Lucia as well to unlock Hard mode for both? Cos I beat the game once with Dante and I still can't select Hard...

Himself

Well I beat Mission 3, but then that lion in Mission 4 beat me pretty bad.

Yeah, this'll take some getting used to.

I just played through them for the first time and that is exactly what happened to me. The learning curve is steep and I was initially pretty frustrated, but once everything clicks you'll be destroying shit with ease.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy mother of God, now I really want to play DMC4... should I do it or not!?

Turlast

Banned
Okay, so I'm seriously ready to give DMC a try. I only played a demo of DMC 4 awhile back. I became a huge fan of Dante through MVC3....

Are the controls difficult for the 360 version?

Okay, so I'm seriously ready to give DMC a try. I only played a demo of DMC 4 awhile back. I became a huge fan of Dante through MVC3....

Are the controls difficult for the 360 version?

No. But if you have a PS3 I'd probably choose the dual shock over the 360 controller. But there is nothing wrong with the 360 controller in itself.

Also, finished DMC3...LIKE A BOSS!

lol_by_dantewontdie-d2zec4t.jpg

>.>

=)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got DMC4 on xbox so it might be that I just adjusted, but despite the ps origins I think the older games feel better on the 360. I've never liked the dualshock though.

Turlast

Banned
^Thanks, guys. Definitely going to get into DMC HD now. Can't believe it took me this long to get into the series.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing Vergil in DMVC3 as well. Been playing him more in Ultimate. Trish also. Can't wait to see Dante's 40+ moves from MVC3 and other stylish moves. I'm sure this'll give me the urge to give DMC4 a try as well. Can't wait!

mandas

Neo Member
Am I the only one playing through these slowly and one at a time? I started at DMC and finished on Normal and am slowly working through Hard then plan going on to DMC. I want all trophies before I move on.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For some reason, I kinda like DMC1 for its environments but DMC3 for its overall gameplay.

DMC1 looks so much like RE4 (since I played RE4 first than DMC1), namely the door transitions and castle look.

zero_suit

For some reason, I kinda like DMC1 for its environments but DMC3 for its overall gameplay.

DMC1 looks so much like RE4 (since I played RE4 first than DMC1), namely the door transitions and castle look.

I think many here share that opinion. Oh, and DMC1 was initially supposed to be a RE game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Is it wrong that I want 360 avatar gear for DMC? I told myself I'd never buy avatar gear, but if they offered Ifrit or Beowulf gauntlets, I don't think I'd be able to resist.

Am I the only one playing through these slowly and one at a time? I started at DMC and finished on Normal and am slowly working through Hard then plan going on to DMC. I want all trophies before I move on.

That was my plan, but I've been so ADD when it comes to this collection. I have to keep switching around. I'll make progress in one game, switch to the next... I did "beat" each game in succession, but as far as getting 1000/1000 I'm all over the place, making progress in each one bit by bit.

gunbo13

That was my plan, but I've been so ADD when it comes to this collection. I have to keep switching around. I'll make progress in one game, switch to the next... I did "beat" each game in succession, but as far as getting 1000/1000 I'm all over the place, making progress in each one bit by bit.
Nah man, I do the same. You play DMC enough it doesn't really matter when you play them. Last year I played DMC1 emu on pcsx2, DMC3:SE PC, and DMC4 PC. I'll dig into this collection eventually but I'm currently doing advanced mechanics with Nero in DMC4 again. It is also possible that I get hooked on Dante. But I also want to do some DMC3:SE RG, DMD, and boss runs. Not sure if I'm patient enough to wait for unlocks on HD collection so some/all could be PC.

Carbonox

I've been taking it one game at a time. While I was going through Devil May Cry 1, I never touched the other two games. Now that I got the Platinum for Devil May Cry 1, I'm now working on Devil May Cry 2. Until I get the Platinum in that, I won't be moving on to Devil May Cry 3. :p

Saving the best until last!

Dahbomb

Combo videos in general?

They are great but a lot of players get too uncreative with their style and they just look like any other combo video. I want to see unique set ups or mechanics because otherwise they get stale despite the obviously high execution requirement on them. Stuff like HSID and Combo Mad are classic because it had stuff in it that at the time was unknown to the fanbase at large.

I also enjoy stylish takedowns of bosses or unique ways to bring them down. This was very prevalent in DMC3 but not as much in DMC4.

gunbo13

They are great but a lot of players get too uncreative with their style and they just look like any other combo video.
If you remember, we talked about this quite a bit. That's how LTG and tramp were born. It was my main goal. Whether it was successful is another story.

I guess the combo thing is pretty odd from my standpoint. For example, I do combos in my vids that are more technically difficult then what is seen in many of the popular ones. But I don't think any of its translates. I also don't do the cut-scene or editing thing; just straight combos. I wonder if people prefer the cut-scenes and effects?

The combo vids I did honestly took a huge effort weeding through terabytes of data. And the main one is a 5/3 on UT. I was just curious why that is when it seems people enjoy them.

EDIT:
I'm fishing for criticisms. Stuff sucks for a reason.

Carbonox

Totally forgot how fucking long it takes to upgrade everything in Devil May Cry 2. Currently half way through my second run and I've only upgraded 2 weapons to the max and those were guns with only go to level 3. Swords go to level 5 or some shit.

Also, to be fair, the game actually looks quite brilliant in HD. Especially Dante himself (has a weird cartoony film over him though). I've always liked the animations of him in this game.

Oh shit Gunbo banned? WTF.

EDIT: Seems like it could be because of posts he made in the Manga thread if you look at his post history. I dunno.

Sykotik

Gunbo.. Will he fucking return?

I'd like to see a combo video that has super-fancy button-press overlay technology similar to that of which you see in a fighting game training mode. It'd be a lot of work, but I think it'd take the entertainformation to za next level.

Dahbomb

Gunbo.. Will he fucking return?

I'd like to see a combo video that has super-fancy button-press overlay technology similar to that of which you see in a fighting game training mode. It'd be a lot of work, but I think it'd take the entertainformation to za next level.
Here is a good video for DMC4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALYaSVjyBU Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOIc5m6PwNY&feature=relmfu Part 2

Seems like Gunbo got into a little quarrel with another user over at the manga thread. Didn't seem that harmful but I guess egos were hurt and the ban hammer was brought down. I am pretty sure that the state that I am in the same thing could happen to me in another thread too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Totally forgot how fucking long it takes to upgrade everything in Devil May Cry 2. Currently half way through my second run and I've only upgraded 2 weapons to the max and those were guns with only go to level 3. Swords go to level 5 or some shit.

Also, to be fair, the game actually looks quite brilliant in HD. Especially Dante himself (has a weird cartoony film over him though). I've always liked the animations of him in this game.

Oh shit Gunbo banned? WTF.

EDIT: Seems like it could be because of posts he made in the Manga thread if you look at his post history. I dunno.

Over there someone's blaming his emu comment in this thread.

Hopefully it's not long. :(

Sykotik

I really doubt it was about the emulation, as there are threads dedicated to both pcsx2 and dolphin.

Dahbomb, I've seen those videos before. Very good tutorials. Though, even though I know the inputs he's doing, I'd still like to see some fancy editing with button presses on the screen. I haven't really seen anything like that, and I'm curious how it would end up working and looking. I also think it would be more easier for people that want to learn the advanced stuff. I can imagine someone watching those videos and just saying "Whelp." and being to intimidated to put the effort into trying.

Dahbomb

Given the amount of button presses required in an average combo of DMC4, it would probably take like 5+ minutes of freeze framing just to show the inputs 1 by 1 and in fact would deter people just from watching it ("oh shit that many inputs to do that simple combo? Fuck that I am sticking to God of War"). Also thing is that most people know how to do combos in DMC4... but they just can't do it because they are hard and require insane muscle memory. Best thing to do is to just get the easiest available combo video and start freeze framing yourself, shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what button he is using.

I just came upon this gem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23c_HDPo7Y&feature=related

Insane stuff. We will probably never see something like this in an action game... for a very long time.

ScOULaris

Damnit, this thread is making me want to play DMC4 now. I never picked it up, despite being a long-time fan of the series, because of the ho-hum impressions at time of release and ridiculous 5GB install on PS3.

Ifrit

What did he get banned for?

Something on the manga thread it seems

Damnit, this thread is making me want to play DMC4 now. I never picked it up, despite being a long-time fan of the series, because of the ho-hum impressions at time of release and ridiculous 5GB install on PS3.

Get it on PC or 360?

Anyways, the game is amazing and worthy of the DMC name, you can find it pretty cheap nowadays, it's beautiful to look at and runs at 60 fps like 95% percent of the time, I say go for it

Given the amount of button presses required in an average combo of DMC4, it would probably take like 5+ minutes of freeze framing just to show the inputs 1 by 1 and in fact would deter people just from watching it ("oh shit that many inputs to do that simple combo? Fuck that I am sticking to God of War"). Also thing is that most people know how to do combos in DMC4... but they just can't do it because they are hard and require insane muscle memory. Best thing to do is to just get the easiest available combo video and start freeze framing yourself, shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what button he is using.

I just came upon this gem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23c_HDPo7Y&feature=related

Insane stuff. We will probably never see something like this in an action game... for a very long time.

Especially when some people seem to be serious in thinking that this looka worse than a 30 fps Unreal game and it's just hack and slash

The video is amazing. Looking at it reminds me of Dante's hitbox in UmvC3 lol I'm watching it on my phone so I can't see clearly but whatever he did to counter or evade those projectile blades was amazing

Top Bottom