• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third |OT| A game made of liquor with perfect bald man. He is cool.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Every time I log in there's like one, maybe two other GAF people on. When I select Siege defend, there's nothing happening. Same with mercenary entry. It's a shame this game is so dead, because multi is pretty fun.

It is unfortunate since Siege mode really seems like the main event. I've really only played one on one attacks, which are not that satisfying. I think the biggest game I played was three on three, and the game type does not work well with that few players since the maps can be huge for multi-section bases, and the attackers seem to get slaughtered all the time due to base defenses. The game type really feels like it was balanced for much larger player counts.

In addition to that, none of the team modes in Drill mode seem to be populated either. Everyone seems to go to 5 x XP game mode which is incredibly chaotic. If only the Wii U supported LAN play, some good gaming sessions could at least be organized after the player base moves on :-/

Every time I log in there's like one, maybe two other GAF people on. When I select Siege defend, there's nothing happening. Same with mercenary entry. It's a shame this game is so dead, because multi is pretty fun.

The frame rate and lag make it very dissatisfying, whether I'm winning or losing. I can't tell how I'm doing when I play it, so I gave it up and am hoping for the best for the PC version. It sucks because it clearly would be amazing if it were running well.

Got this game today. Having a blast with it so far. What a pleasant surprise this game has turned out to be, seriously reminds me of a game you would get from the PS2 era. It's not taking itself seriously (in fact, it's off the wall crazy and funny) and it's a fun time. Kinda miss games like this nowadays, honestly.

Kind of glad I didn't give in and buy this. I'll give the steam version a shot for the multiplayer but the single player honestly looks like garbage from what I've watched.

The rarity of this game is definitely blurring some peoples impressions of this game I think.

Kind of glad I didn't give in and buy this. I'll give the steam version a shot for the multiplayer but the single player honestly looks like garbage from what I've watched.

The rarity of this game is definitely blurring some peoples impressions of this game I think.

Kind of glad that I did. Watching a game and playing it are different things entirely sometimes and this is one of those cases. I thought it didn't look good at all either from videos but now I'm actually playing it, it's really good fun, different experience entirely.

Yeah...i feel like a wet blanket with my review above, but im pretty surprised at the complete lack of criticism in the thread lol

I have yet to play it but based on what I see a lot of people playing it say there's also a bit of nostalgia for those b-tier games from the PS2 generation. Nostalgia can also make people over look some major faults with games.

Of course, I may be way off base but when I see most posts praising it also mention it reminding them of some of the PS2 games with Jank that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

I'm glad people are enjoying it though.
It is unfortunate since Siege mode really seems like the main event. I've really only played one on one attacks, which are not that satisfying. I think the biggest game I played was three on three, and the game type does not work well with that few players since the maps can be huge for multi-section bases, and the attackers seem to get slaughtered all the time due to base defenses. The game type really feels like it was balanced for much larger player counts.

In addition to that, none of the team modes in Drill mode seem to be populated either. Everyone seems to go to 5 x XP game mode which is incredibly chaotic. If only the Wii U supported LAN play, some good gaming sessions could at least be organized after the player base moves on :-/

Is that something that home brew could fix? Not something I'm familiar with.

I have yet to play it but based on what I see a lot of people playing it say there's also a bit of nostalgia for those b-tier games from the PS2 generation. Nostalgia can also make people over look some major faults with games.

Of course, I may be way off base but when I see most posts praising it also mention it reminding them of some of the PS2 games with Jank that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

I'm glad people are enjoying it though.

Yeah and that's fine but even those janky ps2 classics are cheap and readily available. This is $60 for digital.

I see the game has charm but charm doesn't get to full AAA price and having to delete almost everything else from my Wii u or buy a hard drive for it.

Coda

The multiplayer offers a certain joy that no other games have really accomplished in the past 4-5 years. I'm not sure if it's quite worth $60 for just that but I'm glad I bought it for the simple fact that the multiplayer is giving me some video game fun when there's really not much else available for my tastes at the moment until next year.

Also I just discovered a new technique while playing Close Quarters. You can hold ZL to aim then you have two options, either press Y when locked on an enemy to do an Aim Lock attack or X to throw your melee weapon. I didn't realize you can do the aim shot attack action and then press X to do the melee throw in one smooth sequence. I was in awe when I first pulled it off by accident. Wish I was recording the gameplay!

G0523

So I'm playing the single-player campaign and I'm stuck at the part near the end where you're facing a LOT of enemies and it's really annoying! I do okay for the most part until the bigger enemies come out (especially the ones with the mobile turrets) and I die so quickly. This is taking way too long for me to complete and I've spent hours trying to complete this damn mission. Does anyone have any tips on how to complete this area?

EDIT: Never mind. I beat it. Lots of cheesing has to be done. Lol.

f640582e4b2f4cbabb150827bdbf58e9.jpg

So you've finally accepted the truth.

komorebi

Nope. Its bad. Janky, horrible performance, unpolished to the point of being unfinished, controls are iffy, etc and so on. But its so bad its good.

Its one of those games. There's downright bad games, and then there's Devil's Third.

NolbertoS

Just bought a copy off amazon today. Lucked out and now will join the legions of DT advocates. So coming from a person who's played BF and COD, is this gsme as challenging?? For the record haven't played a COD game since Modern Warfare, so I'm getting into it again.

TheMoon

Just bought a copy off amazon today. Lucked out and now will join the legions of DT advocates. So coming from a person who's played BF and COD, is this gsme as challenging?? For the record haven't played a COD game since Modern Warfare, so I'm getting into it again.

I hope you're aware that this is no FPS you're getting into so any BF or COD comparisons are kinda pointless.

Coda

Finally beat the campaign. Gotta say, overall it was pretty ass. There were some good moments but most of those moments were overshadowed by boring long shooting sections or tedious boss fights. Overall I'd give the campaign a 5/10, just wasn't really fun to play. Thank god the multiplayer is still really fun though.

For anyone in the NA region who's been trying to get a physical version of the game (like I have), just a heads up: Amazon has it listed as being back in stock as of January 4th and taking orders. I just placed mine!

Hopefully I'm online playing this soon!

jholmes

I beat the game over the weekend and while the final boss is a total dick, I really had fun! I don't know what to tell you guys, the gameplay is fun and the presentation is really stupid but also fun. I just enjoyed it. No self-deception, no rose-coloured glasses, just a good time. It sucks that it's so rare, fans of character action games who don't mind a bit of shooting along for the ride and aren't looking for a graphics powerhouse might also get a kick out of this game.

This is more a character action game than a shooter, so it's probably better to compare it to Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden. But the shooting does feel good. It has its difficult moments but honestly no, I didn't think it was hard. But if you've never played another game in the genre (some of which are very hard) you may struggle.

NolbertoS

This is more a character action game than a shooter, so it's probably better to compare it to Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden. But the shooting does feel good. It has its difficult moments but honestly no, I didn't think it was hard. But if you've never played another game in the genre (some of which are very hard) you may struggle.

I've beaten both NG and Bayonetta. If its more action game oriented then yeah I'll beat it too. Thought it was a FPS based on some fan feedback. Either way, gonna give Itagaki's masterpiece a try.

The frame rate and lag make it very dissatisfying, whether I'm winning or losing. I can't tell how I'm doing when I play it, so I gave it up and am hoping for the best for the PC version. It sucks because it clearly would be amazing if it were running well.

Perhaps this is an issue on your end? My framerate in multiplayer is usually very solid, outside of some stutter after hot-joining or sometimes after loading into a match. There has been some points when melee combat battles aren't particularly smooth, but I also have a bit of a weak Wifi connection to my room.

Either way, I too have great hope for the PC version, it will be awesome to have a larger community, and finally play this on at 60fps, with better image quality.

Perhaps this is an issue on your end? My framerate in multiplayer is usually very solid, outside of some stutter after hot-joining or sometimes after loading into a match. There has been some points when melee combat battles aren't particularly smooth, but I also have a bit of a weak Wifi connection to my room.

Either way, I too have great hope for the PC version, it will be awesome to have a larger community, and finally play this on at 60fps, with better image quality.

100mb connection and my system is working fine. Running around in MP to get from point A to B is usually not bad, once in combat with someone, it seems to drop frames and get awkward. Shooting from a distance was not terrible, I guess. Melee was where it got very strange and what was on screen seemed untrustworthy.

G0523

Finally beat the campaign! It was kind of a slog but it was dumb fun. Got kinda easier near the end actually.

Did anyone read through the credits though? I saw some names I recognized! Seamus Blackley and Yu Suzuki were credited under Special Thanks and Rachel Bilson was the voice of C4? Really? I wonder if it's just someone with the same name as that actress. Lol.

Coda

100mb connection and my system is working fine. Running around in MP to get from point A to B is usually not bad, once in combat with someone, it seems to drop frames and get awkward. Shooting from a distance was not terrible, I guess. Melee was where it got very strange and what was on screen seemed untrustworthy.

Yeah the game seems to stutter like crazy when too much is happening on screen. Noticed it was really insane when playing the new Carnival mode.

Yeah the game seems to stutter like crazy when too much is happening on screen. Noticed it was really insane when playing the new Carnival mode.

I haven't tried Canival yet, and I'm admittedly not overly sensitive to framerate issues, though I do have a very apt eye for when they occur. I can definitely say I've never seen the game 'stutter like crazy' in multiplayer. At the very least, it's been a rare occurance for me (not trying to say it hasnt happened to others, but my experience has been quite good). The biggest discrepency has definitely been from melee combat, where you can see lag on a somewhat regular basis.

It's hard to tell if this is due to the game code, or connection discrepency between users. To my knowledge, most online games operate at about 30fps when communicating between users, so they should work well under ideal conditons, but online will always have the problem of inconsistent ping between certain players.

Coda

I haven't tried Canival yet, and I'm admittedly not overly sensitive to framerate issues, though I do have a very apt eye for when they occur. I can definitely say I've never seen the game 'stutter like crazy' in multiplayer. At the very least, it's been a rare occurance for me (not trying to say it hasnt happebed to others, but my experience has been quite good). The biggest discrepency has definitely been from melee combat, where you can see lag on a sonewhat regular basis.

It's hard to tell if this is due to the game code, or connection discrepency between users. To my knowledge, most online games operate at about 30fps when communicating between users, so rhey shoukd work well under ideal condiions, but online will always have the problem of inconsistent ping between certain players.

Yeah I've had mainly good experiences minus a couple matches. I think because there's a lot happening on screen in Carnival mode and the whole screen shakes and rumbles when new deposit areas open up that makes it a kind of disorienting mode. Plus there are merchants everywhere and you can pick up 3 fruit and they can act as grenades if you throw them. A fun mode but it's tough to play fruit basketball and not get killed at the same time.

Ninja Dom

So I'm playing the single-player campaign and I'm stuck at the part near the end where you're facing a LOT of enemies and it's really annoying! I do okay for the most part until the bigger enemies come out (especially the ones with the mobile turrets) and I die so quickly. This is taking way too long for me to complete and I've spent hours trying to complete this damn mission. Does anyone have any tips on how to complete this area?

EDIT: Never mind. I beat it. Lots of cheesing has to be done. Lol.

Remember here's a very easy tip for dealing with the big black suited heavies. They always try to get as close to you as possible regardless of what weapon they're equipped with (mini gun, chainsaw etc). They can't attack you when you're higher than them. They try but their hits don't connect. Only if you're on ground level do their melee attacks hit you. So climb up onto the nearest high up object (container/vehicle etc)

Finally beat the campaign! It was kind of a slog but it was dumb fun. Got kinda easier near the end actually.

Did anyone read through the credits though? I saw some names I recognized! Seamus Blackley and Yu Suzuki were credited under Special Thanks and Rachel Bilson was the voice of C4? Really? I wonder if it's just someone with the same name as that actress. Lol.

saw Harada in there too and James Mielke (aka "Milky-chan" in his TN game credits.)

not sure what was up with TOMONOBU ITAGAKI GAMES at the beginning of it--why not Valhalla lol

The message at the end was nice. hope he gets paid and gets another shot.

Remember here's a very easy tip for dealing with the big black suited heavies. They always try to get as close to you as possible regardless of what weapon they're equipped with (mini gun, chainsaw etc). They can't attack you when you're higher than them. They try but their hits don't connect. Only if you're on ground level do their melee attacks hit you. So climb up onto the nearest high up object (container/vehicle etc)

weapon throw does good damage to them (and everything) too

kinda wish I knew that before taking on that big gauntlet before the (chapter setting spoiler)
ww2 section
. I was running like an asshole for most of that fight haha

NolbertoS

Alright my fellow Devil Thirdocates. Got the game and will fire it up soonz. Guess i'll have to start adding GAF members to MP soon. Will give the single player campaign a try first.

Coda

Alright my fellow Devil Thirdocates. Got the game and will fire it up soonz. Guess i'll have to start adding GAF members to MP soon. Will give the single player campaign a try first.

Give it a try but don't play it for too long, get into the multiplayer. It's a lot more fun IMO.

Guys, we have a clan and plenty of people in it. Why not just scheduled a few times a week to play siege mode together? We could add it to the OP and probably post it on the clan message board in the game.

Once we get a good number of people we can just play for a few hours. We'll win by either default or taking on a few people. Heck, I started a GAF clan attack against the #2 ranked clan and myself and a merc that joined stomped them in 4 matches in a row (you can thank us for the increased dollen amount:) ).

Just a suggestion.

Ninja Dom

Give it a try but don't play it for too long, get into the multiplayer. It's a lot more fun IMO.

No, I disagree. Play the single player to the end. It's still a really, really good romp through. Great game.

Brofield

I totally forgot to pre-order my copy in Canada, but with my massive backlog it hasn't really been bothering me that I haven't gotten a chance to play it.

So, I'm torn: Do I buy it now digitally while the region locked servers are relatively full, or do I risk waiting for a price drop in a month or three where I only play a 6-8 hour campaign and deserted multiplayer servers?

Some questions.

Can I have and additional female character in additional to my male one?

So what's the best initial melee weapon to buy after the pipe? I have like 900,000 Dollen.

What's the best gun?

Also how do I join the Gaf clan?

Coda

Some questions.

So what's the best initial melee weapon to buy after the pipe? I have like 900,000 Dollen.

What's the best gun?

I don't think you can? You can do multiple loadouts and change you sex but I don't think you can have two separate characters at once.

There is no "best melee weapon" persay, they all have their pros and cons. The Fire Axe is devastating in power and stun if you tag someone but it's also slow and doesn't have a good throw. The Katana is probably the best well-rounded melee weapon in the game.

Best gun is also somewhat subjective. I like having one of the expensive Assault Rifles with the fully automatic shotgun as my secondary weapon.

I think you can join the clan by clicking the clans button in the multiplayer menu and finding us. I think the title is Jmizzal (GAF).

I don't think you can? You can do multiple loadouts and change you sex but I don't think you can have two separate characters at once.

There is no "best melee weapon" persay, they all have their pros and cons. The Fire Axe is devastating in power and stun if you tag someone but it's also slow and doesn't have a good throw. The Katana is probably the best well-rounded melee weapon in the game.

Best gun is also somewhat subjective. I like having one of the expensive Assault Rifles with the fully automatic shotgun as my secondary weapon.

I think you can join the clan by clicking the clans button in the multiplayer menu and finding us. I think the title is Jmizzal (GAF).

Thanks.

Yeah. I just read the his/her post. Location is Southern California but I was forced into an area selection after level 5.

I have to reset but I've only played an hour.

I have always make myself in character creation and the Middle Eastern guy they have is actually really good for a game with only preset options. I feel like I'm playing a dude who could be from where my family is from (India).

Still there's the temptation to play as sword swinging girl. Also maybe her outfits won't look as bad as the guy does.

Also any points on aim sensitivity?

I'm not a big shooter guy and with the aim switching to first-person aim down sights immediately it feels much harder than Black Ops 2 to know what I need for it to feel good.

Coda

Also any points on aim sensitivity?

I'm not a big shooter guy and with the aim switching to first-person aim down sights immediately it feels much harder than Black Ops 2 to know what I need for it to feel good.

The Aim sensitivity is really bad, it's one of the worst aspects of the gameplay unfortunately. The only tip is to use hip fire more and aim down the sights when you need to hit a standing opponent far away or finish a kill.

jmizzal

Some questions.

What's the best gun?

The good thing is you can test out every gun and see which one you like best, you can also test out the melee weapons but its harder to get a feel for those without going up against other players

So I'm part of the clan and level 13 now.

Is there a reason why it seems like other dudes can kill me super quickly with both melee and range weapo6 even without x-weapons. Also is there a reason why I can dump loads of bullets into someone and they won't die?

It it due to the outfits? Does +1 to health/melee have that big of a difference?

What's the best outfits to go for early on?

Do you get more and more golden eggs per level up? I think I got 14 last time.

Where are people getting flame throwers? I can't see any to buy.

It sucks when they keep putting all the high rank guys on one side.

Is hip fire really feasible? I can't seem to kill anybody with it.

Meanwhile

Thanks for any answers.

Well, after waiting a couple weeks for Amazon to ship me the game, I finally got it earlier this week.

And after playing a combination of Single and Multi player for 8 hours or so, the game is pretty terrible.

I might as well of had Amazon ship me a dumpster fire.

The execs at Nintendo should have buried this game.

Rymuth

Ludmilla is such a fucking bullshit of a Boss fight...

• Three-hit kill
  • One hit is enough to lock you into a combo
  • If you dodge one hit, she rubber-bands to your location to continue the combo (yes, it looks that unnatural)
She's such a terrible boss that she's close to wipe away all the goodwill I have for this game. I loved what I played but this is genuinely terrible boss design 101

Ninja Dom

Ludmilla is such a fucking bullshit of a Boss fight...

• Three-hit kill
  • One hit is enough to lock you into a combo
  • If you dodge one hit, she rubber-bands to your location to continue the combo (yes, it looks that unnatural)
She's such a terrible boss that she's close to wipe away all the goodwill I have for this game. I loved what I played but this is genuinely terrible boss design 101

She's not difficult, breh.

She never took me anymore than 30 mins to kill. But then, like Itagaki, I am pro.

Dereck

This game is not bad but it feels ultimately banal and I couldn't play it more than a few hours. I probably missed out on some cool stuff though. I stopped playing after the second boss.

Been wanting to play this some how without spending much money... Gamefly just asked me to come back for a month for $1 with 2 games at once....so I guess this game is worth 50 cents to speed through :D Just shipped today. Can't wait

Finally beat the game today after buying at launch while its a flawed game really needed more polish but damn if i didnt end up enjoying the game. I also loved the credits theme had to goto youtube and find it to listen to it again.

Lagamorph

Just a heads up for UK GAF.

You can buy this from GAME for £14.99 brand new at the moment (Online at least anyway).

I've already played through a friends copy of the game, but for that price I'm grabbing it for posterity before it vanishes forever.

Top Bottom