• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos, Sessions expected to be confirmed in tight votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we have Davos instead of Devos?

Davos_Seaworth-Liam_Cunningham.jpg

I'll even take Davros

davros_dalek_resurrection_terry_malloy_400_400x300.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/debbie-stabenow-betsy-devos-senate-vote/index.html

Some Dems are saying they may have convinced another Repub to vote no. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, we'll find out tomorrow

That's something. I don't know if it'll pan out, but I am pleased with the response of this so far. If she wins this, then there will be some extra resistance coming from educators around the countries. Teachers are constantly being pushed around, and this could likely be the breaking point for educators to take serious action. We're definitely going to see some larger protests out of this, and it's gonna be nuts.

Also, I gotta say that I'm proud of so many dems sticking with the protest on the senate. They're making a point to go through any many letters and messages from people as they can, and it's really making a difference.

If she wins, then it's gonna be tough for the future of the kids in this country. I don't know how quickly her 'proposals' will go into effect, but we won't go down without a fight regardless.

When asked whether she thinks guns have a place in or around schools, DeVos said she would leave that decision up to state and local authorities.

Ahaha, what a hard question to answer for someone in charge of the country's education system.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's funny that Devos literally paid her way to a cabinet spot, and so did Linda McMahon, but Linda is actually qualified for SBA.

Unison

Many of my Facebook "friends" from high school (rural PA) are right-wingers and are actively invested in seeing that DeVos doesn't get confirmed.

On one hand, this is heartening, but I do wonder if this is just another manifestation of the sexism that hit Hillary so hard.

Slacker

Many of my Facebook "friends" from high school (rural PA) are right-wingers and are actively invested in seeing that DeVos doesn't get confirmed.

On one hand, this is heartening, but I do wonder if this is just another manifestation of the sexism that hit Hillary so hard.

Good time to point out that the Republicans in the Senate brazenly don't care what their constituents think on this one. They don't care what their constituents care about any issue for that matter, but take it one at a time.

Laieon

Fuck Murkowski and Collins for allowing DeVos to pass to the senate last week. They both essentially said the didn't support her but were voting her through the committee anyway.

Slacker

Fuck Murkowski and Collins for allowing DeVos to pass to the senate last week. They both essentially said the didn't support her but were voting her through the committee anyway.

Yep their dissent is pure showmanship and they get no credit for standing on principle from me. As I've said elsewhere I'm almost positive if the Dems actually manage to flip someone, either Murkowski or Collins will flip back.

She's most definitely an idiot but it is partially sexism too though. There's a reason so many conservatives think Trump is smart but think Betsy is a bumbling dumbass even though she's probably smarter than him.

She's most definitely an idiot but it is partially sexism too though. There's a reason so many conservatives think Trump is smart but think Betsy is a bumbling dumbass even though she's probably smarter than him.

Did you actually watch her confirmation hearing though? Education is probably the most emotive cabinet post, and one of the last with some residual bipartisan agreement.

Honestly I think Trump would also seriously struggle to be confirmed for any cabinet position; the disclosure and ethics requirements are stricter than that of the president.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Have to wonder how the working class who voted for Trump will feel after he dismantles public education. Still amazed that they would think voting for this guy who has been wealthy his entire life was going to be good for them. Pretty sure any tax cut you get isn't going to pay tuition at a private school for your children.

I never understood people like Devos, she knows she's not qualified, everybody knows she's not qualified. There is a strong opposition towards her, why not just do the right thing and say fuck it and drop the whole thing, she's not hurting for money. How much money can she make by exploiting education? I'm pretty sure that's what she is doing it for, not that she gives a fuck about American children.

I never understood people like Devos, she knows she's not qualified, everybody knows she's not qualified. There is a strong opposition towards her, why not just do the right thing and say fuck it and drop the whole thing, she's not hurting for money. How much money can she make by exploiting education? I'm pretty sure that's what she is doing it for, not that she gives a fuck about American children.

Because she actively wants to destroy the public school system. That's why she wants the job.

Because money.

NewFresh

I think you are missing why she is doing this. It's a call to duty from God. I'm not even joking.

KRod-57

Banned
I'm much more worried about Sessions than I am DeVos.. the position of Attorney General carries a lot more authority.

This absolutely isn't about money for her. Not that she isn't going to make money from it, but there would have been better ways to go about it. She legitimately thinks she's right, and that it's her job to convince everyone else of the same.

I'm much more worried about Sessions than I am DeVos.. the position of Attorney General carries a lot more authority.

Sessions has too many friends in the senate for Dems to have a chance at getting Republicans to flip on him (for them, it wouldn't just be flipping on your president's pick, it'd be flipping on someone you know and work with, and that's ignoring that he may have Dem friends as well). They're focusing on the only battle they actually have a chance at winning (even though they won't win it, the fight looks good to all those people complaining that the Dems don't fight enough).

Jarmel

Banned
Yep their dissent is pure showmanship and they get no credit for standing on principle from me. As I've said elsewhere I'm almost positive if the Dems actually manage to flip someone, either Murkowski or Collins will flip back.
That's what I'm fully expecting at this point too.

I hope every Republican that votes to confirm DeVos likes getting a bunch of shit about it from their constituents at home. Because that's what's going to happen.

RPGCrazied

Warren is going all out over this, they've shifted every effort away from Sessions onto Devos because they likely think there's an actual shot here. We'll see.

I wonder who it is, I hope this is true. And can you imagine the Trump angry tweets if she gets blocked?

Slacker

I hope every Republican that votes to confirm DeVos likes getting a bunch of shit about it from their constituents at home. Because that's what's going to happen.

They are getting tons of shit but they fortunately for them Republicans don't have to serve their constituents. As long as abortion exists they'll keep getting votes.

I've done my part and contacted by of my state's senators, despite knowing full well they won't do anything about it. Inhoffe and Lankford will fight each other to be the first in line to kiss her ass.

What irritates me the most, however, is that I know of a few teachers who are in favor of her appointment. Fucking public school teachers are chomping at the bit to slice their own throats because they have children and want them to have the chance to attend private schools. It's fucking unbelievable.

I've seen this sentiment as well. Does anyone have any experience with school vouchers? I'm dubious that they would come close to paying the full price of tuition at a good private school, but I've never read a study that looks into it.

She's so blantley corrupt and obviously wants to gut the public educational system that she doesn't hide it. How this can get confirmed is beyond ridiculous. Fuck the GOP, these clowns need to be deported.

If Pence has to push through a 50/50 vote, it would be the first time ever that we get a cabinet secretary not approved by the senate.

I guess the only good thing about this is that neither my fiance nor I want children. Every day is another nightmare under this administration.

I love reading the comments on Roy Blunt's facebook post:

I believe Betsy DeVos understands that decisions about education need to be made much closer to where kids are. I look forward to working with her to find ways to get those decisions back to local school boards, and moms and dads. As Chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee for the Department of Education, I will be working hard to ensure that public education continues to be appreciated as the cornerstone of opportunity in America.

Almost 100% of the comments are begging him not to vote her in, many of them republicans. I have no idea how he can truly justify his vote....

The Lamp

Confirm her. Humiliate this country. Let everything get worse before it ever gets better. Let the poor white midwest voters see what they asked for. Hopefully after this worldwide humiliation, the US doesn't allow this shit to happen again for at least another 100 years.

btrboyev

I love reading the comments on Roy Blunt's facebook post:

Almost 100% of the comments are begging him not to vote her in, many of them republicans. I have no idea how he can truly justify his vote....

Because he will be getting a nice pay day behind closed doors from DeVos herself. It's not that hard. She bought her nomination. The thank you checks for campaigns will follow shortly after.

And to think I thought this woman would be Trump's Secretary of Education:

dsc_6565-copy.jpg

She would have easily taken care of our grizzly bear problem. Down with Grizzlies (aka public education)!

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but she had kids in public schools, is basically guaranteed to be aware of the (and the importance of) federal standards for special education for children with learning disabilities, and as far as I know Alaska's public education system wasn't dismantled over her tenure.

Literally far, far more qualified for the job, as sad as that is.

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but she had kids in public schools, is basically guaranteed to be aware of the (and the importance of) federal standards for special education for children with learning disabilities, and as far as I know Alaska's public education system wasn't dismantled over her tenure.

Agreed, she would have been one of Trump's better appointments.

Toxi

Banned

I really respect that you're able to look at a figure as constantly (and rightfully) mocked and charicatured as Sarah Palin and see this. Not sarcasm, it's something I need more of as I become increasingly bitter about politics.

Wilsongt

Confirm her. Humiliate this country. Let everything get worse before it ever gets better. Let the poor white midwest voters see what they asked for. Hopefully after this worldwide humiliation, the US doesn't allow this shit to happen again for at least another 100 years.

You act as if midwest voters care id their education goes to shit. There is becoming a grown number of white Evangelicals who home school their children, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom