• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] “Microsoft seems to be helping on destroying its own credibility” Richard Leadbetter on the latest DF Direct

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah but I’m talking specifically GAF. Did “Xbox tax” originate here or is it some random YT or twitter nonsense? Genuinely curious. I’ve only ever seen it on GAF brought up sarcastically.

None of this originated on GAF. Yeah, it's all YT and twitter nonsense.

S0ULZB0URNE

I was only a lurker back then, but it's true. Keep those blinders on, it's safer in the dark
van9XFy.mp4

giphy.webp

Jesb

Even your biggest supporters can’t keep going with a farce. Microsoft will always be a running joke in the industry. It’s so bad it’s almost looks like they do it on purpose but they just are that incompetent.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I think Hellblade 2 will be perfectly fine for what it is, which is an 8 hour walking sim/crazy woman simulator. It will also look amazing graphically. But most people will be finished with it by Memorial Day and it's not going to move the needle. The shills can shout it from the rooftop but nobody will care.

If Avowed and Indy stink, then it is going to be really bad.
An Actual 8hr Crazy Woman Simulator would be fun as hell !

Oppoi

Depends what their longterm plan looks like. I’d personally be okay if they scrapped console gaming and focused on just PC from now on. Streamline everything to one version, preferrably on Steam, and if they need more players just push that onto the cloud as well through Geforce Now.
You need Microsoft in gaming for you to care at all is that correct?

Radical_3d

No.. I was here too.. this didn't happen
I wouldn’t discard it. GAF before was crazy. Gather around, young ones, uncle Ed is going to tell you a story from long time algo. In the PS360 era, the month of release of MGS4 when PS3 sold buck-loads, Xbox decided to make one of the first banning en masse of consoles of the history of the medium. The result was that that month in the NPD (Circana for the new ones) 360 sold more. Well, if you argue that the sales on 360 were a consequence of the mass banning you’d earn another kind of ban: the NeoGaf one.

Three

I wouldn’t discard it. GAF before was crazy. Gather around, young ones, uncle Ed is going to tell you a story from long time algo. In the PS360 era, the month of release of MGS4 when PS3 sold buck-loads, Xbox decided to make one of the first banning en masse of consoles of the history of the medium. The result was that that month in the NPD (Circana for the new ones) 360 sold more. Well, if you argue that the sales on 360 were a consequence of the mass banning you’d earn another kind of ban: the NeoGaf one.
I mean, maybe but that's probably due to unsubstantiated claims more than anything.

Radical_3d

I mean, maybe but that's probably due to unsubstantiated claims more than anything.
My man. This is a gaming forum. 99% are opinions and speculation. You can or can not know why something is selling better than another thing without asking on per customer basis. That measure was too much.

Last edited:
This is rich considering Digital Foundry were the same clowns gaslighting MS into thinking his dumb decisions with the XB1 and XB Series consoles were smart.

Outside of John, every other person there is a Phil Spencer fan and heavily biased towards Xbox. They constantly damage controlled for Xbox especially leading into this gen and were almost doing professional PR work for MS.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Wasn't here for the 360/ps3... but was through the whole pre ps4/xone gen ... It didn't happen. At least not in a broad way ... cant talk about any specific case though

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah I wondered what happened with DF and this bizarro idea that they are biased for Xbox. I didn’t follow any of the comparisons the last two gens so was never into DF but there seemed to be a switch four or five years ago.
PS4 had better performance, so there was no way around that.

Doesn't make them unbiased.

Fredrik

Kinda weird having a top dog like MS forced to funnel their games through a small company like Valve. How long is that going to last?
It’s what is already happening. And it’ll last as long as we can control them. Goes for all of them. The Helldivers 2 PSN requirement is bigger than people seem to realize. Once traditional consoles are gone and it’s all PC and servers all the biggest publishers are eventually going to have their own ”platform”, through storefronts and launchers and subscription services, and account requirements. And there is nothing we can do about it besides voicing our opinion like with HD2 if they try to raise new walls. More attempt will come. From everyone. And they’re all going to use Steam at first, then when they have a big enough group of customers and a big enough IP they’re going to try to do their own thing. The ”small” company that is Valve is the top dog on PC, they might not do everything right but at this point I want them to stay at the top as they seem to be the only one who can challenge that future.

MacReady13

People are finally starting to wake up about Microsoft

Better late then never I guess
Some of us on here and other places have been saying for years and years that game pass is not the way we should want the industry to go and now, we are seeing the repercussions of it. I’m just amazed it took so many outlets this long to open their mouths instead of bragging about how it was the “best deal in gaming”.

Zathalus

Same bizarro ideas folks have that there is an "Xbox tax" and Sony's games get some magical score bump in reviews. Lots of bizarro takes in the gaming world. That's nothing new.
I think the idea that DF is biased for Xbox is a unique Gaf take. Most of the comments I've seen on Twitter this gen were Xbox players upset against DF because they pointed out all the times PS5 had the superior version of a game. The coping around DF at launch and 2021 was real.

Zathalus

Just do a count over the last five years on the word xbox vs playstation in their Direct videos.
Do you have the numbers? Just looking over the YouTube content from the past few years and the things that stand out to me is that they have way more PlayStation focused videos, way more interviews/features with devs at PlayStation, and way more PlayStation games at the yearly top 10 videos.

But maybe they said the word Xbox more, I don't know.

S0ULZB0URNE

I think the idea that DF is biased for Xbox is a unique Gaf take. Most of the comments I've seen on Twitter this gen were Xbox players upset against DF because they pointed out all the times PS5 had the superior version of a game. The coping around DF at launch and 2021 was real.
You think this?

No way!

Ashamam

But maybe they said the word Xbox more, I don't know.
Their go to comparison, anecdotes, and just general discussion is almost always Xbox focused. You don't hear much about Playstation unless its a very specific talking point. Not talking about their most recent videos, those obviously are going to be Xbox focused, but its something that has stood out to me over the last few years.

Part of it is down to Playstation not being very open, or Xbox being very open, depending on how you look at it, but I still find it stands out. Nintendo also gets the short end, but thats maybe a little more understandable because of the audience.

I was also specifically talking about their freeform direct videos, not analysis pieces etc.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Sorry to hear this.
Regardless...the anti PlayStation and pro Xbox/PC rhetoric from you is wearing thin.
I'm not anti PlayStation not pro Xbox. I would gladly admit I'm pro PC though.

Besides you of all people complaining about biased takes is the height of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I also remember people getting banned en masse for buying xbox ones on this forum, since no one could want a xbox one withouth being a shill (yes this was the reasoning.)

But yeah the topic at hand, MS is totaly fumbling it, and they will be out of the console race in 5 years give or take, they will fumble their ips also, american suits cant get it right
That's some RetardEra level of idiocracy..... Holy shit!

FewRope

I think Hellblade 2 will be perfectly fine for what it is, which is an 8 hour walking sim/crazy woman simulator. It will also look amazing graphically. But most people will be finished with it by Memorial Day and it's not going to move the needle. The shills can shout it from the rooftop but nobody will care.

If Avowed and Indy stink, then it is going to be really bad.
Starfield didnt move the needle, if that doesnt do shit, no game can

Zathalus

Starfield didnt move the needle, if that doesnt do shit, no game can
Yeah, but Starfield was at best above average. For many it was mediocre to outride bad. If it had hit the heights of Oblivion or Morrowind in quality it might have had more impact.

FewRope

Yeah, but Starfield was at best above average. For many it was mediocre to outride bad. If it had hit the heights of Oblivion or Morrowind in quality it might have had more impact.
Sure, but Fallout 4 is also a dogshit of a game and had impact, Bethesda games releasing used to be an event, Starfield being only on Xbox and heavily marketed towards GP killed the momentum imo

Wasn't here for the 360/ps3... but was through the whole pre ps4/xone gen ... It didn't happen. At least not in a broad way ... cant talk about any specific case though
It was specifically in a are you getting a xbox one at launch thread to that effect, its been over 10 years so its hard to remember the name. a bunch of people got banned while he spammed his stupid samuel l jackson gif, of course it got toned down after that because it was ridicilous.

Bish (the mod in question) worked for Adam Boyes at beefy media at the time, he is permed now and the mod team is different. He also got real powerhungry and banned 100s of people en masse for "political" reasons Also a lot of previous bans where reversed when the site "reopened" these types of discussions could not be had before. This has been brought up before so its nothing new.

I mean just google "bish neogaf" and you will get a bunch of results.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bringing Alex into these discussions is always so baffling. He has absolutely nothing to add: "Lol consoles I don't care". For the love of god, bring Oliver instead.
You're talking about a guy who loves to see and hear himself talk. He'll always be a part of these things whenever he can.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It was specifically in a are you getting a xbox one at launch thread to that effect, its been over 10 years so its hard to remember the name. a bunch of people got banned while he spammed his stupid samuel l jackson gif, of course it got toned down after that because it was ridicilous.

Bish (the mod in question) worked for Adam Boyes at beefy media at the time, he is permed now and the mod team is different. He also got real powerhungry and banned 100s of people en masse for "political" reasons Also a lot of previous bans where reversed when the site "reopened" these types of discussions could not be had before. This has been brought up before so its nothing new.

I mean just google "bish neogaf" and you will get a bunch of results.
Again mass ban of people saying they bought xbox ones didnt happen ... but if it did and I'm wrong... no problem ... just post the receipts and Ill eat my crow.. the burden of proof isnt on me. Thats it. Until then I'll stay on topic.

Last edited:

Three

So, on the topic of the video what was the significance of the Gainward 7800 and casio calculator? Was it just some socially awkward banter?

avin

The title is a misquote or a typo. MS is not just helping, they seem hellbent on destroying their own credibility.

avin

I watched the first 15mn but it's really painful to. "seems like they have been mismanaging studios recently" "there were some signs this whole acquisition could not go well in the end" "very surprised to see the difference between recent communication from the bosses and what happened here".

DF have being so incredibly biased with Microsoft along the years that they are suddenly realizing what many of us were saying about Microsoft and Xbox since at least XB1 launch. How naive, how biased they were for so long. Did they have their heads buried into the sand for 15 years? MS executives are a bunch of cars salesperson that are constantly lying to their customers. They are mismanaging and destroying their studios since years ago, it's not new. What happened to Bungie, Rare's and countless others studios was not enough?

And spencer has been bullshiting and spinning statements from the beginning. Non stop lies from him.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I watched the first 15mn but it's really painful to. "seems like they have been mismanaging studios recently" "there were some signs this whole acquisition could not go well in the end" "very surprised to see the difference between recent communication from the bosses and what happened here".

DF have being so incredibly biased with Microsoft along the years that they are suddenly realizing what many of us were saying about Microsoft and Xbox since at least XB1 launch. How naive, how biased they were for so long. Did they have their heads buried into the sand for 15 years? MS executives are a bunch of cars salesperson that are constantly lying to their customers. They are mismanaging and destroying their studios since years ago, it's not new. What happened to Bungie, Rare's and countless others studios was not enough?

And spencer has been bullshiting and spinning statements from the beginning. Non stop lies from him.
I got a PS4 last generation and it was so much better than One that it was almost hard to believe... And as such I went and just got a PS5 this gen and have not thought about getting a XSX once. The Xbox Series X is a much better platform than the One, for sure, and if you bought one and love it, that's great and I can see why. Yet it's impossible to deny that MS' games haven't been good enough. So yea, I agree with you - it's weird to see all these people just out and out saying what everyone has known for years, that they aren't managing these studios properly and aren't delivering the games they said they would.

Tales from the Ass. I was here. That never happened. Previous GAF was censorship-happy around political correctness, but it did not "ban people en masse just for buying an Xbox One." That's ludicrous.
Well I've been online since the early days of the internet and nothing surprises me anymore............

Shin-Ra

From a completely commercial take, I actually don't think it is scandalous that Tango Works is being shutdown by Microsoft, in that a game they pitched(HiFi Rush) for this gen; despite being well loved could have easily released on a 360, X1, too with that art style. and unlike an Angry birds money maker, the game just did as expected AFAIK from what looks like a title filling a Jet set Radio Future slot in a games line-up.

And that's sort of the bigger question IMO. If they thought HiFi rush as a technological last gen looking game would do amazing and standout when they pitched it, to what extent does that studio have the technological makeup and self awareness to make tent pole games, best in class for this gen, for Microsoft Games Studios to publish?

The game may have been everything Xbox wanted originally from OG Xbox devs with that arcade soul they sought to understand and recreate by originally having arcade units for recreation breaks in their HQ, but without HiFi rush having massive commercial success it seems that doesn't register with Microsoft Games, now. It is harsh, but fair IMO.

Steam/Valve at the top, MS as a publisher
Microsoft will always want more. Cut out the middleman, more revenue/profit.

Topher

Gold Member

It really isn't unique to GAF at all. I've been on forums long before I ever came to GAF and that has been a common complaint for many PS fans. This goes back to the 360/PS3 days.

I don't necessarily agree with it myself. I think DF mostly does a good job although I don't always agree with their comparisons.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF is still playing favorites. They still say that Xbox leadership likely didnt want this and this came from microsoft. Once again trying to absolve Phil and Matt of any blame. well, they did criticize them for not stepping up to discuss this publicly but sarah bond did that and there is spinning this nonsense.

They are still craving PR and spin. They dont realize that spin != action. They still buy into the nonsense Phil constantly shoved down their throats. Nah, this can not be spun. If Phil really disagreed with this so much, he would have resigned from xbox. He is likely a multimillionare after 10 years as head of xbox, now microsoft gaming. And he could simply take a stand and say no, whats wrong is wrong. You cannot make more games with fewer studios. He chose not to. He couldve taken a paycut. he chose not to. He couldve done a million other things to save these studios. He didnt.

DF guys, especially richard, scrutinize the shit out of everything cerny personally tells them. Meanwhile, MS is not offered the same courtesy. And despite everything thats happened, they are still blaming satya instead of Phil. Amazing.

Top Bottom