• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Chrono Cross Remaster: PS5/Switch Tested - A Classic Returns... With Worse Performance Than PS1

Fbh

When choosing classic mode, is it more or less the same from the PS1 version?

They said the framerate using classic mode is close to the original. Which still means you'll see drops to 15fps or lower....on a Ps5...running a Ps1 game.
In classic mode you also get the usual visual inconsistency from emulating these games where the static backgrounds will display in their original 240p resolution but the 3D elements will be rendered at a higher res (around 900p they said). So you get this really stark contrast between the background and the 3D elements which can look really jarring.

Last edited:
When is Japan going to get with the times too? Most games other than Resident Evil, dmc, and Kojima's games are pieces of shit often releasing at 1080p at maximum res and/or having severe performance issues. 2022 and we're on 10+ TF "next gen" machines.

There's no excuse for any game in 2022 to release only in 1080p, even if it's a $20 shitty "remaster" like chrono cross or ff7,8,9. Sf5 and tekken 7 on ps5 now and they're still 1080p despite being popular. Nier replicant only 1080p.

PhaseJump

Banned
Greed is a crime.
gordon-gekko-wall-street.gif

Trogdor1123

How is it even possible they sent it out like this? It’s on my wish list but I’m definitely waiting now. Terrible that they would do this to something they talked up

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the game myself. It was less than $20, and there will be more mod support for this version than for the PSX version. Worth it. Do I wish Square would put more effort into their remasters so we don't have to rely on mods? Definitely. But the way they remastered this game makes it super easy to mod, and that's a plus.

Pejo

Once again, emulators do what Square-enixn't.

S-E is quickly becoming one of my most hated publishers. Between NFTs, awful cash grab remasters, paid exclusivity on top of paid exclusivity, etc.

jaysius

Banned
This is why both IGN and Gamespot bitched out on review scores for this one, this sounds like a 2 or a 3 even with their typical padding.

Shame on them and shame on Square for undoubtedly strong arming them and putting out a product in this shape.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm enjoying the game myself. It was less than $20, and there will be more mod support for this version than for the PSX version. Worth it. Do I wish Square would put more effort into their remasters so we don't have to rely on mods? Definitely. But the way they remastered this game makes it super easy to mod, and that's a plus.

Stop defending a ripoff cash grab, you sheep!

PhaseJump

Banned
giphy.gif

This is the worst remaster yet.

A true piece of shit.

I buy anything and generally don't care. I bought the Secret of Mana remake, I buy pixel remasters and mobile ports of Final Fantasy. I generally do not care. This game though, is so bad it's making me consider a Steam refund, even in the throwaway 20-25 dollar price range. I probably won't, I hope it'll be modded and fixed.

Roxkis_ii

I was a big fan of Chrono Trigger, and never gave this game a chance. Seeing the performance, its looks like the tradition will continue.

Kinda sad.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When choosing classic mode, is it more or less the same from the PS1 version?

Backgrounds, yes.
But all 3D elements (character models in traversal, battle arenas etc) render at 963p. So they stick out.

I just checked my game collection and I don't see my Chrono Cross disk anywhere. I must have traded it in way way back. 😞

The new 'touch up' actually dosn't look too bad to me. The FPS is dissapointing however. I might have to get this if I don't first find the original in a used game store.

Last edited:

conpfreak

So I preordered this. I heard the rumblings about the performance...but I kinda didn't care and bought it anyway. I'm two hours or so into it, and it plays pretty much the same as the original version. While this by no means is an acceptable remaster, at least I don't have to bring out my PSP to play this on a portable console anymore. And the new 3D character models do look pretty good. Some of the new in game art work looks good as well.

Square Enix should definitely be prepping a patch to address the issues DF raised, but it's not like you're getting a unplayable experience.

* FFIX Moguri mod is noted as one of the best fan projects.
My question is now that this exists is it possible for someone to do a Moguri like mod for it?

I replayed Final Fantasy 9 twice with this mod cause I loved how the cleaned up backgrounds looked at some points:

I wish Square would just do something similar for these types of 'remasters'. I got this Chrono Cross remaster and haven't even started it, but judging from what im seeing online it just feels like barebones emulation for the most part

I guess it was a good question lol

Saber

Gold Member
Sad that companies sometimes cares so little for their beloved franchises.

Being greedy ass and a cheapstake doing remasters is the new trend nowadays I'm afraid. Sonic Colors went the same route, and I'm sad for it.

Barakov

* First time Chrono Cross has received an official release in EU.
* "Not really a remaster .. more like a 'touch up"
* Original team did not work on this, some of them only contributed to this, including Mitsuda for the OST.
* In game OST is 1 : 1 the same as PS1, only the main menu has a new orchestral track and redrawn art.

* Has Classic backgrounds mode and 'remastered' mode. Original is exactly the same as PS1.
* Remastered mode: Backgrounds are AI Upscaled but to mediocre results, the AI upscaler doesn't handle dithering properly.
* Remastered mode adds what looks like artifacting and rippling effects on the sky etc. The AI is not trained well.

* DF notes there are fan community mods for projects like this that have better results. Results could have been better here.
* FFIX Moguri mod is noted as one of the best fan projects.

* Classic mode is just raw 240p images, which appears incredibly pixelated on high resolution displays.
* In classic mode all 3D elements (battle arenas and models) render at 936p and it's a jarring inconsistency with the 240p backgrounds.
* Remastered 3D elements also run the same resolution for 3D stuff with 1080p HUD (tested PS4 and Switch)
* Battle text gets lower resolution in Original mode.

* The Scars of Time opening CG FMV has been improved with a much better AI upscaling than what was used for the game backgrounds. It looks pretty good now.
* The FMVs in the game itself don't have any such upscaling. They are presented in original resolution.
* The audio behind the CG FMV's is also very low quality and compressed.
* In game music is a little bit more clearer than before, possibly running at a higher bitrate

* "WITHOUT A DOUBT, ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMING GAME ON PS4"
* 30 FPS during traversal. 60 FPS menus. 30 FPS battles.
* Traversal drops frame rate frequently and in battle it can drop to 10 FPS on PS4.
* PS4 version running on PS5 runs worse than original PS1 version across almost all tested areas with hard caps to 20 FPS in many areas.
* Changing to "Classic" visuals improves performance and it runs about the same as PS1
* Switch version runs more or less the same as PS4.
* Notable stutter at the end of each battle victory animation

* Switch version running in handheld mode reduces some performance dips and makes the blending/artifacting issues less of an issue.
Classic visuals it is.

Top Bottom