• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Cyberpunk 2077 PC: What Does Ray Tracing Deliver... And Is It Worth It?

Lethal01

You are starting an argument that you and I shouldn't have the need to discuss anymore - we are both of different tastes.

Lumen is a good dynamic VXGI method like some games that are out. The implementation is still scarce and I doubt it's adoption will be widespread for the majority of games as it's still expensive. I never said we didn't need Nanite. I don't think it's more important or makes more of a difference in the overall render than combined RT.

I was responding to how the thread was going in general, didn't want to make a double post.

But ye, obviously RT is the bigger deal. but RT is the biggest deal

Last edited:
This is one of those things where I almost wish I hadn't seen examples of raytracing. All games look out of date now without it. And it's that point they mention where without raytracing, objects don't look grounded in the space. Like they're floating.

Guys, I use discord alerts and everything. It's so impossible to find a 3070 right now. The second I get a notification, click the link and look at the item, I'ts already gone.

Lethal01

This is one of those things where I almost wish I hadn't seen examples of raytracing. All games look out of date now without it. And it's that point they mention where without raytracing, objects don't look grounded in the space. Like they're floating.

Guys, I use discord alerts and everything. It's so impossible to find a 3070 right now. The second I get a notification, click the link and look at the item, I'ts already gone.
But you've been seen example of it for decades.

Give a game full raytracing and this is the result.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Unfair comparison. The changes in textures, etc.. are dramatic. Make a Minecraft using the standard SSR, transparency, updated textures, GI light probes, etc.. and THEN post a difference. Won't be 2011 vs 2020 version difference anymore.

..wait, did you miss the point, or am I missing a jest..? My post was ironic to make a point about context. I posted two black squares.. And the MC one as the other extreme. You explained my point in text Sherlock, lol

Last edited:

Neo_game

The elevator scene having sky light was obviously noticeable instead of yellow light but they could easily fake it. Reflection, shadows is what make the actual difference. I think old games like quake 2 using path RT is great but newer games RT lighting impact is underwhelming IMO.

Soodanim

Gold Member
unknown.png

Which one has RT?

I notice How shitty the lighting is without raytracing way easier than noticing resolution.
I notice the lighting way more than going from 60fps to 120fps
We agree that the pop in hurts the game immensely though
Finally, a good fucking comparison.

Every other comparison is “LOOK AT MUH REFLECTIONS BRO” when no one gives a shit about reflections. Realistic low light scenarios are much better examples.

Don't care about reflection , this is more impressed .

OpPXsIM.png

oz8mu5q.png
Unfortunately normie gamers probably prefer the top one even though it is less accurate. We’re talking about the type of people who (claim) they can’t tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. (That is until pleb console machines finally have the horsepower to run games at 60 fps, then it’s one of the greatest things ever.)

Last edited:

bbeach123

Unfortunately normie gamers probably prefer the top one even though it is less accurate. We’re talking about the type of people who (claim) they can’t tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. (That is until pleb console machines finally have the horsepower to run games at 60 fps, then it’s one of the greatest things ever.)
1- Even though Im impressed I'm not gonna pay half of my fps for this .
2-100% im gonna turn this off in a multiplayer game even if it cost no fps .

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't see much difference. reflections are better but otherwise i don't see it. i kept turning it off/on trying to see any changes. i just done the monk mission and my GPU was freaking the fuck out cause there was a neon sign there. turned itoff and it looked just the same.

i'm quite happy with how the game looks and runs without RTX. maybe in a few years i'll turn it on when i have a GPU that doesn't shit itself trying to run it. not shitting on RTX it is definitely the future but i don't think any improvements are worth the performance hit right now.

Rikkori

Like I said before, I'm not against RT, quite the opposite, I love it, but I can't be blind to the fact that DF makes very biased content and ignores the trade-offs (to say nothing of people like Alex going around forums defending NV at every chance he gets even when no one asks him to). It's no accident they get multiple Nvidia sponsorships and an exclusive look at the newest GPU and then Nvidia goes around and threatens publications which don't show the same zeal.

I just want a fair discussion, that's all.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Like I said before, I'm not against RT, quite the opposite, I love it, but I can't be blind to the fact that DF makes very biased content and ignores the trade-offs (to say nothing of people like Alex going around forums defending NV at every chance he gets even when no one asks him to). It's no accident they get multiple Nvidia sponsorships and an exclusive look at the newest GPU and then Nvidia goes around and threatens publications which don't show the same zeal.

This is ridiculous. You have to see that.

thuGG_pl

RT is not an Nvidia invention. AMD has it too, and at some point CP2077 will support AMDs tech. So the video will be valid for both companies.
Really dumb argument.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The naysayers of raytracing always pull cherry picked pictures out of their ass of the non raytraced methods in scenes managing to have parity with the raytraced method but can never produce pictures of the non raytraced method looking better. While if somebody wants to they can produce just as many pictures in the same game of the raytraced method being superior. Switching to raytracing will always produce a better looking more visually consistent game whether its lighting, shadows, or reflections.
I think the biggest issue with RT is that it can be a performance killer if you don't have the right hardware.

Also, it sure seems anytime a game studio or Nvidia says check out this RT demo, everything looks super shiny as if every surface turned into water or a mirror.

The next time any one of us goes outside and walks or drives down the street, there's actually very little that reflects like a mirror. Even if it just rained, it doesn't mean every puddle has to reflect moonlight like a mirror. But RT games exaggerate it.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
For me this game is the raytracing showcase. Control was neat, but not as impressive as CP2077.

Running on 3080 at 4K with DLSS, works well.

Control actually sort of annoyed me because I couldn't help feeling it had been gimped in "RTX off" mode in at attempt to make RT look more impressive. I don't get that feeling with Cyberpunk - I think they really did try to make it look as good as possible in conventional rendering mode and then put the RT on top of it. There are some places it looks great - but unfortunately with my setup I have to use DLSS and even then I take a hit to framerate, so I ended up turning it off. My guess is that the RTX4000 cards are going to be the point where you have enough performance that turning RT on becomes the obvious choice. That also fits into the long observed principle that V3 of stuff nVidia does is typically the point where it doesn't suck anymore.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quick and easy RT lighting comparison. RT shadows and reflections, and all other settings remained the same. Just cycling between RT Lighting 'Psycho' and 'Off'. It's harder to see without the flip(i.e.-Just posting the images next to each other).

Source screenshots:
On:
on-jp.jpg

Off:
off-jp.jpg

On:
on2-jp.jpg

Off:
off2-jp.jpg

regawdless

Banned
Quick and easy RT lighting comparison. RT shadows and reflections, and all other settings remained the same. Just cycling between RT Lighting 'Psycho' and 'Off'. It's harder to see without the flip(i.e.-Just posting the images next to each other).

Source screenshots:

Dark scenes are not really great for a comparison of lighting. Alleys, sheds, markets etc. During day time would make more sense, because it uses light bounces. Without a lot of light, it's a bit pointless tbh.

Marlenus

Yeah imagine something like anti-aliasing getting this much resistance when it was invented.

"lol it's not like I zoom in 400% in game to see jaggies, I take performance over it"

It's graphical advancement, and will get cheaper every GPU gen forward.

It was the same argument. Prior to the 9700 pro AF and AA were nice but the hardware was too slow to turn it on and then the 9700 pro happened and AF became a default on feature and AA was a nice bonus for people running lower resolution screens.

JonkyDonk

RT can be nice but it's not worth the cost. It might slowly get there in another generation or a cheaper solution will come along and replace it.

Reckheim

Finally, a good fucking comparison.

Every other comparison is “LOOK AT MUH REFLECTIONS BRO” when no one gives a shit about reflections. Realistic low light scenarios are much better examples.
Yeh, reflections are one thing, but realistic shadow casting is what makes rtx worth it. It makes everything look more real, more grounded.

When you look at the picture on the left, your eyes see a game. Something you know is a game.

But the picture on the right, with how dark his side gets where the character isn't getting light is just infinitely more realistic.

Haemi

About 10 years ago somebody said this about ambient occlussion: "It's a waste of ressources! For something you can almost not see it's too expensive!"
Now we have the same discussions about raytracing.

Instead of complaining, why don't you tell us why it is bothering you that much?

Haemi

I'd rather take 60fps honestly. Ray tracing on consoles adds a little bit, but nothing groundbreaking. People need to chill with all that hyperbole

And on PC (and on consoles with quality and performance modes) you have the option to disable it for higher framerates. But some people act like it's a personal insult when somebody likes raytracing.

I'm fine with a lower resolution. What IG did with Miles Morales is the way to go

I was really happy when they put in the option for raytracing at 1080p60. I have a 55" TV, but sit 4m away from it. So i don't really see the benefits of 4k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom