• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

OverHeat

« generous god »
If he can, why not?

Digital foundry ZOOM 800%

Watching Spy Kids GIF
You are a pervert and I love it 😂

Hugare

I've been spoiled

I just cant play the game without Overdrive anymore. Even Psycho RT looks off.

Every scene now looks flat. I go to a street and I'm like "this shouldnt be glowing like this" lol

But I think due to the low resolution that I'm at, it has a ton of small problems:

* When changing directions fast, you can see the shadows being loaded in, both in characters and environments
* Again, maybe due to low resolution, I see some shimmering in grass/other materials in the environment. Metal fences are particularly terrible.
* Again: it's too dark. And at low resolution when visibility is already not great, being too dark makes everything kinda blur together.

RTX Remix is now open source, people already working on HL2 RTX patches...

the age of pathtracing has begun!

Wow, HL 2 looks nuts. RTX Remix being open source is amazing.

We will see many great games from the past getting the RT treatment soon

And I've heard its getting OpenGL support in the future

It's great but I get what you're saying about the lighting. Keep in mind this game wasn't made with RT as a baseline and had to be catered for the consoles. It's still the best graphical showcase ever.

If we can get a game designed better to accommodate things getting dark but should have to accept that if a scene is dark and at night then you would have little to no visibility. Careful what you ask for because there's no getting around how realistic this game is rendering and if it's too dark, so is real life.

Performance going down is expected running this level of rendering.

This is a great thing to see and pushes even the best hardware but we need to continue to see this and not lose the sense of wonder when we see these new visual benchmarks.

I get that, at night time I like my scenes really dark, just like in Dragons Dogma, for example

But here some cutscenes lose detail, like the eyes of an NPC talking to you getting covered by shadows, so they lose expression. And I doubt that it was what was intended by the animators/designers.

They should compensate, like Deakins does in his movies: burning house in Skyfal and burning church in 1917, to lit a night scene. But that would require some handcrafted work from artists.

And a lot of areas, sometimes even during missions, things get too dark so you can see items, for example.

They should patch a flashlight for the player lol. Theres even a mod.

yamaci17

I've been spoiled

I just cant play the game without Overdrive anymore. Even Psycho RT looks off.

Every scene now looks flat. I go to a street and I'm like "this shouldnt be glowing like this" lol

But I think due to the low resolution that I'm at, it has a ton of small problems:

* When changing directions fast, you can see the shadows being loaded in, both in characters and environments
* Again, maybe due to low resolution, I see some shimmering in grass/other materials in the environment. Metal fences are particularly terrible.
* Again: it's too dark. And at low resolution when visibility is already not great, being too dark makes everything kinda blur together.

Wow, HL 2 looks nuts. RTX Remix being open source is amazing.

We will see many great games from the past getting the RT treatment soon

And I've heard its getting OpenGL support in the future

I get that, at night time I like my scenes really dark, just like in Dragons Dogma, for example

But here some cutscenes lose detail, like the eyes of an NPC talking to you getting covered by shadows, so they lose expression. And I doubt that it was what was intended by the animators/designers.

They should compensate, like Deakins does in his movies: burning house in Skyfal and burning church in 1917, to lit a night scene. But that would require some handcrafted work from artists.

And a lot of areas, sometimes even during missions, things get too dark so you can see items, for example.

They should patch a flashlight for the player lol. Theres even a mod.
what is good that rtx remix on older games will mostly produce playable framerates on anything above 3060ti easily. i've played half life with full path tracing at 60+ fps at native 1080p easily on my 3070. i consider it a win bcoz the visual jump was insane. like path tracing does a lot of thing autonomously so you get advanced rendered "techniques" used in modern games all of a sudden on a freaking 1998 game

some people sleep on these features and act like they do not exist / or irrevelant. I think otherwise..

hollams

Gold Member
Anyone else notice some stuttering at random times when using Path tracing? It will be running fine and I'll go into a menu and come out and it will bring the frame rate down to single digits and its like I'm watching a slideshow for about 5-6 seconds then it's fine. This has happened about 5 times in about 45 minutes of play. I don't always have to be coming out of a menu sometimes just out in the world.

When this first happened I thought it could have been my older SSD drive so I moved it too my fastest NVME and still had the same issue.

I tried it out and my 4080 is getting 70-100fps at 1440p. Not bad!

But I am a bit disappointed. It looks good but not as good as some of the screenshots or videos I've saw. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

hyperbertha

Came to say this.

The lighting technique looks incredible 90% of the time but there are over exposed shots like this that simply do not look natural. Is it mimicking my eyes or a fooking camera exposure? There were a couple other shots I found looked better with rasterization like the alley with the dumpster, that one light bulb looked to be lighting the scene more realistic than the overdrive slides, even though there's a little indirect lighting from outside, it wouldn't light the scene that extremely.

Still, very beautiful.
It will look much better in hdr.

Tunned

I tried it out and my 4080 is getting 70-100fps at 1440p. Not bad!

But I am a bit disappointed. It looks good but not as good as some of the screenshots or videos I've saw. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
Likewise, I actually finally decided to buy the game to give my 4090 a workout. Playing at 4k on an OLED tv with overdrive and DLSS on quality, the sunny areas sometime look overexposed (yes I dialed in the HDR), and I lot of the time can see the image being reconstructed by DLSS.

I have to be honest the graphics are just ok, I'm not wowed. This might sound controversial, but Horizon FW looks better to me. CDPR should have dropped the last gen consoles altogether.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The mouse isn't the issue, the keyboard is with it's lack of nuance regarding moving speed (or driving). It's one thing that is immersion breaking for me, but you do you
And what is so immersive in moving around in first person with a stick and dragging a gun "crosshair" with a stick?

Roni

Gold Member
The mouse isn't the issue, the keyboard is with it's lack of nuance regarding moving speed (or driving). It's one thing that is immersion breaking for me, but you do you
The dream is analog movement and mouse aiming combined in one. Had high hopes for the steam controller... Too bad that fell by the wayside.

zephiross

And what is so immersive in moving around in first person with a stick and dragging a gun "crosshair" with a stick?
It’s not about the shape of your input method of choice, it’s just that I feel controller + gyro gives you the most complete set of control over the game, thus it´s the most immersive for me. I do not play competitive games this way, but for single player games, it’s very good.
Moreover I play from the couch on my tv so it’s much more confortable.

CGNoire

I prefer the rstick as well for camera and yes the keyboard is the deal breaker. Its shit for gaming.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It’s not about the shape of your input method of choice, it’s just that I feel controller + gyro gives you the most complete set of control over the game, thus it´s the most immersive for me. I do not play competitive games this way, but for single player games, it’s very good.
Moreover I play from the couch on my tv so it’s much more confortable.
So it's not about immersion. And more control over the game how if you need weapon wheels and claw grip to use face buttons without losing movement and camera controls? Or it's just about the analog movement?
Analog movement but mostly its the full 360° of immediate direction change instead of being locked to 8 transform directions.
Analog movement doesn't give immediate direction change vs digital movement. WTF? Only more than 8 directions and more level of speeds, which is not significant in first person.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
In real Life Everything Reflects Everything the only difference iss between whether its Specular or Diffuse. Plants can be pretty relfective under extreme fallouff angles shit even concrete can.
this is true. im looking at my black keyboard and its reflecting the monitor light back.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I prefer the rstick as well for camera and yes the keyboard is the deal breaker. Its shit for gaming.
So shitty it gives more buttons avoiding shitty weapon wheels and shitty button placements like L3/R3 and face buttons leading to annoying and uncomfortable claw grip.

Last edited:

Senua

While of course a pad is always best for driving, the cars in cyberpunk are your standard shallow arcadey affair handling wise so you arent missing too much using keys, for something like GTA4 then yes a gamepad is almost a must whilst driving thanks to the depth of the driving physics. In cyberpunk the mouse advantage of thumbsticks is way bigger than the advantage of sticks for driving

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
GTA4 then yes a gamepad is almost a must whilst driving thanks to the depth of the driving physics.
hmm no. I play every GTA with kb and controlling the car is just as ease and effective as with an analog stick because you control the car with "touches".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played some yesterday. It is chunky looking. Very grainy resolve especially on wet road.
The difference is hard to notice without switching it on and off. honestly, it should be a key bind toggle.
only serves to realize how good raster techniques are nowadays.
I feel like a scientist looking around "hmmmm there is a shadow here as there should be"

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Played some yesterday. It is chunky looking. Very grainy resolve especially on wet road.
The difference is hard to notice without switching it on and off. honestly, it should be a key bind toggle.
only serves to realize how good raster techniques are nowadays.
I feel like a scientist looking around "hmmmm there is a shadow here as there should be"

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

giphy.gif

raster

cyberpunk2077screenshjzczi.png

pathtracer

cyberpunk2077screenshrqdt7.png

Senua

hmm no. I play every GTA with kb and controlling the car is just as ease and effective as with an analog stick because you control the car with "touches".
I played GTA 4 with a keyboard too, it's fine of course, but gamepad is definitely better for driving

Last edited:

zephiross

While of course a pad is always best for driving, the cars in cyberpunk are your standard shallow arcadey affair handling wise so you arent missing too much using keys, for something like GTA4 then yes a gamepad is almost a must whilst driving thanks to the depth of the driving physics. In cyberpunk the mouse advantage of thumbsticks is way bigger than the advantage of sticks for driving
That’s where the gyro comes in handy, once you find a settings that suits you and you are used to it, you can have (almost) the best of both world. Of course when I play games like battlefield, I use M+KB, it’s not even a question, but for slower games it’s a really enjoyable experience, you should try it out just out of curiosity.

CGNoire

So it's not about immersion. And more control over the game how if you need weapon wheels and claw grip to use face buttons without losing movement and camera controls? Or it's just about the analog movement?

Analog movement doesn't give immediate direction change vs digital movement. WTF? Only more than 8 directions and more level of speeds, which is not significant in first person.
Sure feels better to a whole bunch of people though.

I meant more immediate when trying to find the "proper angle" Not "digital" immediate since wasd is actualy immediate not analog.

CGNoire

So shitty it gives more buttons avoiding shitty weapon wheels and shitty button placements like L3/R3 and face buttons leading to annoying and uncomfortable claw grip.
Everything you listed I prefer. Ill take a quick shift function on controller anyday over carpaltunnel hand I get fumbling in a dark room for specific keys.L3/R3 are awesome buttons and well used.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Everything you listed I prefer. Ill take a quick shift function on controller anyday over carpaltunnel hand I get fumbling in a dark room for specific keys.L3/R3 are awesome buttons and well used.
If you get carpal tunnel with keyboard you are using it very wrong and you should not need to look at it, just like you don't look for buttons on controllers. L3/R3 pressed when the stick is tilted not only is not awesome as it's also what accelerates stick drift problems. They are clearly made to be pressed only when the stick is in the "rest" position.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Bold statement when Red Dwarf exists, but I will watch it I guess.
Oh no...are you English/European? It's Always Sunny may not be your cup of tea if so. It's very American humor, and it's the best.

Wrestlemania X-Seven Sport GIF by WWE

Just funnin'. If you liked that scene, you'll like the show. So many great dialogues like that. They churn out classic scenes like it's effortless

Last edited:

CGNoire

If you get carpal tunnel with keyboard you are using it very wrong and you should not need to look at it, just like you don't look for buttons on controllers. L3/R3 pressed when the stick is tilted not only is not awesome as it's also what accelerates stick drift problems. They are clearly made to be pressed only when the stick is in the "rest" position.
I do not need to look but the layout of keys isnt really built for muscle memory when your fingers are on wasd and not asdf. Its designed for typing not gaming. I not saying there isnt local MM just that keys farther away require some finger gymnastics thats far from comfy. Still in pain from Jedi Outcast 2002.

When it comes to deadzone issues I guess im lucky then since stick deadzone issue for me dont seem to show up till 3+ years after heavy use. I do know thats not the case for alot of people though and that sucks. Its just never been a problem for me personally.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I do not need to look but the layout of keys isnt really built for muscle memory when your fingers are on wasd and not asdf. Its designed for typing not gaming. I not saying there isnt local MM just that keys farther away require some finger gymnastics thats far from comfy. Still in pain from Jedi Outcast 2002.

When it comes to deadzone issues I guess im lucky then since stick deadzone issue for me dont seem to show up till 3+ years after heavy use. I do know thats not the case for alot of people though and that sucks. Its just never been a problem for me personally.
WASD (or ESDF) is designed for gaming and people build muscle memory just like any controller and you should not use any key too far. 7, Y, H, N (for WASD) are already too far to use.

Last edited:

CGNoire

WASD (or ESDF) is designed for gaming and people build muscle memory just like any controller and you should not use any key too far. 7, Y, H, N (for WASD) are already too far to use.
I agreed in my last post that wasd gaming definatly has "MM" (Mucscle Memory) I know that. My hand hurts even hiting local keys that are more than 1 key over.

And lets be 100% wasd was an adaption of the keyboard for gaming. The keyboards layout was still invented for typing. Too each there own of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom