• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dirt 5: Xbox Series X Hands-On at 4K60 + 120Hz Modes Tested

Senua

Gold Member
I seem to be in the minority here but I think it looks great for an early crossgen racer, nice mud effects and popping colours. It reminds me of a newer Sega Rally Revo. Looking forward to a bit of arcade rally fun!

Sega-Rally-Revo_10.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It looks worse than Forza Horizon 4, which is open world. There is no excuse for that, but it is Codemasters and they have been shit for awhile now.

This is sad to hear... and they were in partnership with MS on this so I do not even dare to look at quality of their PS5 efforts (expecting Dirt 5 to be quite a bit worse on it).

Still how would that assessment match the “Even in this preview build Dirt 5 is shaping up to be a perfect launch title for the system - sporting multiple ways to tap into its horsepower” description by DF’s Tom here? :confused:...

acm2000

framerate mode - dynamic 4k 60fps with a few drops, occasional drop to 1800p in scenes with all cars
image mode - dynamic 4k 60fps with more drops but still mostly 60fps, higher effects level, better shadows etc, occasional drop to 1800p in scenes with all cars
performance mode - dynamic 1440p 120fps full vsync with few drops, down to 1080p in scenes with all cars, effects and scenery dropped and culled

Last edited:
So locked 60fps on Dynamic 4k/Frame Rate mode and mostly 60fps on 4k/Quality mode. Same as GameSpot and Press Start reported.

Sony fans will doubtless keep passing the outlier from Ars Technica around though.

DF saying its 60fps. In both modes. The article in the other thread from Arstechnica was saying it wasnt?

Difference is, DF have actually shown us the flat line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riky

$MSFT
So the 30-40 fps was all a lie as I thought, what a surprise. 120hz with Vsync will mean no screen tearing.

Got to try that mode.

Riky

$MSFT

Overall, this is in line with the analysis of ''arstechnica.com''.

Not at all,

"- 4k mode : 30~60fps (40fps on average).
- Dynamic mode : 1440p~2160p with pop-in. Framerate close to 60fps but not locked.
- 120fps mode : LOD (level of detail) degraded, much less polygons + somes bugs (elements that disappear) at 1080p but sometimes possibly lower."

It never gets near 30fps or even 40 so how can the average be 40fps?

Framerate mode is 1800p plus at all times, mostly 4k, doesn't go to 1440p at all

120hz mode is 1440p and can drop to 1080p minimum, doesn't go lower.

Basically everything they said was wrong, which is why I said wait for DF to do it properly 🤣

its a crossgen game, why are people expecting to be mind blown? its akin to running a older pc game on a newer graphics card with higher settings.

A few Sony fans thought (hoped) it was running poorly on Series X and, now it's confirmed to be locked 60fps at 4k, they've moved the goalposts to "but it looks like shit anyway"

It's a cross-gen Dirt game, nobody legitimately expected Forza Horizon standards here I hope.

Evilms

Banned
Not at all,

- Dynamic mode : 1440p~2160p with pop-in. Framerate close to 60fps but not locked.
- 120fps mode : LOD (level of detail) degraded, much less polygons + somes bugs (elements that disappear) at 1080p but sometimes possibly lower."

Framerate mode is 1800p plus at all times, mostly 4k, doesn't go to 1440p at all

Basically everything they said was wrong, which is why I said wait for DF to do it properly 🤣

visible tearing, no native 4k (60fps, quality or 120fps mode) , not locked framerate...

vlcsnap-2020-10-12-17h10m09s2511.png

it's the same

Last edited:

sinnergy

Seems all is well ! For a steady 60/120 Herz game for launch ! A real looker from the folks of the beloved PS games , evolution studio motor storm and drive club !

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Not at all,

Makes you wonder if they even had proper tools to do benchmarking.

Riky

$MSFT
visible tearing, no native 4k (60fps, quality or 120fps mode) , not locked framerate...

it's the same

It is native 4k most of the time have you even watched the video?

The framerate is nearly always 60fps on unfinished code.......

You said an average of 40 fps, that was total and utter bullshit, just admit it.

120hz mode is Vsynced so no screen tearing.

Your quote is wrong on every level.

it's the same

Watch the video in the thread you're literally posting in?

It's locked 60fps in Dynamic 4k and mostly 60fps in Quality/Native 4k.

Ars said it couldn't get 60 in either and everyone else is showing it gets 60 in both. But "you live in your bubble"

Drops to 30fps, and 1440p drops vs very few drops to mid 50s and occasional 1800p drop is hardly the same. Since Digital Foundry actually showed the frametime graph I know who I believe.

Yep. It's not actually hearsay, it's right there in the video. A flat locked 60fps line.

Stuart360

So both 4k modes are at 4k for the majority of the time, and both 4k modes, including the quality mode, sticks to 60fps the vast majority of the time. The 120fps mode is dynamic 1440p, and again sticks to 120fps the vast majority of the time.
So much for that other site with its 40fps average lol.
And DF confirmed its early code.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
So both 4k modes are at 4k for the majority of the time, and both 4k modes, including the quality mode, sticks to 60fps the vast majority of the time. The 120fps mode is dynamic 1440p, and again sticks to 120fps the vast majority of the time.
So much for that other site with its 40fps average lol.

You do know that this is an early preview Build, Right? The final hame will likely be locked

Stuart360

You do know that this is an early preview Build, Right? The final hame will likely be locked
Yes i know its early code, i had already edited my post.
I wasnt being negative by the way, i was saying its much better than that other site said it was.

Top Bottom