• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: DCHDMI Review - The Ultimate Dreamcast HDMI Upgrade!

Solo Act

I don't think I've ever seen a HDMI mod that requires an alteration to the original hardware. Adding a HDMI port directly to the Dreamcast sounds great for ease of use, but it would probably take a lot (time and money) to get that done. I prefer the GCHD Mk II HDMI solution for Gamecube. It works perfectly, and no hardware alterations are required.

This does look good though. I've been kicking around the idea of re-purchasing a Dreamcast. I was actually reading about various Dreamcast HDMI converters just a few days ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think I've ever seen a HDMI mod that requires an alteration to the original hardware. Adding a HDMI port directly to the Dreamcast sounds great for ease of use, but it would probably take a lot (time and money) to get that done. I prefer the GCHD Mk II HDMI solution for Gamecube. It works perfectly, and no hardware alterations are required.

This does look good though. I've been kicking around the idea of re-purchasing a Dreamcast. I was actually reading about various Dreamcast HDMI converters just a few days ago.
Well, the reason for this comes down to how the Dreamcast works.

GameCube has a digital output already which those other GC mods can utilize.

Dreamcast only has analog output thus, for this project, they had no choice but to tap directly into the GPU lines on the mainboard. That's the only way to get a fully digital signal from the system. It'll be the same for other systems.

GameCube is just an exception and the only system prior to 2006 that had a digital output out of the box.

Fake

Wake up right now. Watching. Wish I could watch RETRO every sunday. Its hard work I know, but damn... So good those videos.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Can we have the Retro Dreamcast video please John, i sure i heard you mention it in the video.

Saber

Gold Member
That was nice to watch. I aways dreaming on having DC back when I was a kid.

Hmm...I wonder if I can do that with my GC.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’ve been happy with my Pound cable. It’s a big improvement over the component cables that came with my DC. I didn’t realize there were better alternatives. Pound doesn’t look nearly as good as the ones in the video.

dolabla

Whoa, that looks amazing. D dark10x will this mod work on any Dreamcast model? Or do you have to have a certain model? I need this in my life.

And great work as usual.

RAIDEN1

Sega missed a trick by not releasing a Dreamcast mini, more so with this year being the 20th year of its release...the genesis mini could have been put on hold...

FeldMonster

FYI, if you check the linked websites, there are a few options for installers. The two that I checked were $65 and $85.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That output is beautiful for an upscaler. I still prefer DC hooked up to a 480p CRT monitor (or projector), but most people don't lug those around any more.

Top Bottom