• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro Hardware - Evercade Review: The Cartridge-Based Retro Handheld That Works

McCheese

Are the carts writable? Seems dumb to put the emulators on them without some way of deploying updates and bug fixes.

angelic

Banned
Why bother when you can emulate on 100 other machines without buying games on carts. Im not going from 10,000 mame roms or whatever on my mini pi to some curated namco museum. 100% pointless machine.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is it possible to play your own roms? DF didn’t mention it, but I figured that could be down to courtesy, given that the manufacturer is trying to legally sell the same games.

In any case, it’s kind of nice to see a different approach. The cartridges and full color mini-manuals with artwork are wicked as well.

I’d argue this is a bit more friendly and appealing to your average consumer too, as dealing with emulation and finding roms isn’t something everyone necessarily wants to mess with. Maybe it could see some niche success? They need to find their way to bigger names than Namco and Interplay, tho.

kingbean

Is it possible to play your own roms? DF didn’t mention it, but I figured that could be down to courtesy, given that the manufacturer is trying to legally sell the same games.

In any case, it’s kind of nice to see a different approach. The cartridges and full color mini-manuals with artwork are wicked as well.

I’d argue this is a bit more friendly and appealing to your average consumer too, as dealing with emulation and finding roms isn’t something everyone necessarily wants to mess with. Maybe it could see some niche success? They need to find their way to bigger names than Namco and Interplay, tho.

Are the games not licensed?

According to their website it is all licensed.

Last edited:

Kazza

Why bother when you can emulate on 100 other machines without buying games on carts. Im not going from 10,000 mame roms or whatever on my mini pi to some curated namco museum. 100% pointless machine.

You mean what's the point of buying games when you can just pirate them?

dacuk

Lovely device, but the fact you cannot change the button layouts for all games keeps me from buying this.

nkarafo

You mean what's the point of buying games when you can just pirate them?
Homebrew emulation exists. That's the reality. Official/legit solutions like this console have to compete with that. Making you feel virtuous for buying it is a good selling point but it's not enough. It needs to offer good value. So if someone feels like there isn't enough value, that's fine.

Plus, there are some of us who already bought most of these games and have them in our collections. Some of these we also bought multiple times already in various forms over the years. So yeah, we did our part and i don't feel guilty in the slightest for not buying a certain title for the 5th time.

McCheese

It’s obviously not for you.

collectors will also have zero interest in this thing. These carts will never increase in value compared to the original games, quite the opposite, the price will just keep falling on this similar to the other mini consoles. It's just creating more electronic waste for the novelty factor of it. You can't even pull the ROMs off the thing which would be neat from a preservation perspective as they've modified them to avoid copyright/trademark infringements.

Kazza

Yes, im really harming the sales of Williams Defender, Sega Outrunners, Atari Tempest and so on, quit your virtue signalling.

Not virtue signalling, just calling a spade a spade.

Homebrew emulation exists. That's the reality. Official/legit solutions like this console have to compete with that.

How can you compete with free?

Making you feel virtuous for buying it is a good selling point but it's not enough. It needs to offer good value. So if someone feels like there isn't enough value, that's fine.

Plus, there are some of us who already bought most of these games and have them in our collections. Some of these we also bought multiple times already in various forms over the years. So yeah, we did our part and i don't feel guilty in the slightest for not buying a certain title for the 5th time.

So, what was the selling point the first 4 times you bought these titles - to feel virtuous?

Saber

Gold Member
The impression I get is that the buttons are kinda hard to press.

But seems like solid to me. Not sure I'm a fan of not changing the button congig though.

angelic

Banned
Not virtue signalling, just calling a spade a spade.

So, what was the selling point the first 4 times you bought these titles - to feel virtuous?

People like you, trawling message boards looking to be offended, there is another forum for you.

nkarafo

Bought OOT 3 times, first time it was the OG N64 cart. No other options. Second time was as a Wind Waker bonus. It was just an extra selling point for me to get the game before this deal was over. Plus it had the master mode. Third time was on the Wii VC. I thought the emulation was going to be better than the homebrew emulators at the time. So i thought the value was good to get it once more.

Harlock

Joe had a ton of problems with sound and brought up the button issues a lot. This is why I like Gamesack, always the most honest. He never kisses a companies ass like so many other channels.

And seems that Evercade was not much compreensive with the review. Bad PR tactic.

radewagon

Okay, I'll bite.

These days, it's incredibly easy to emulate just about anything from the 8bit to 16bit era along with most Arcade games. With a little bit more effort, it becomes possible to emulate all the way up to the Wii. Emulating past that is a bit annoying. For the purposes of my examples, I will focus on the 8-16bit eras and Arcade games. Presumably, anything that is released that targets that wide breadth of gaming has to compete with easy access to free. This is not as hard as it sounds. Value, quality of experience, and convenience can EASILY make competing with free not as large a problem as it seems.

Products (in no particular order) that have succeeded despite having to compete with free:
* Classic game compilations
* Mini-Consoles
* Arcade 1up Cabinets
* Wii Virtual Console
* Arcade Archives Series
* Sega Ages Releases
* Analogue Consoles

All of these products have had to compete with the easy access of both roms and robust emulation. They have done quite well regardless.

Last edited:

Kazza

I'm starting to warm to this device a little. $20 for a case, cartridge and nice colour manual is pretty good value. For older games they seem to pack in around six games, but it was the Xenocrisis/Tanglwood double pack that caught my eye. The are both fairly recent, high quality homebrew games, and $20 for both in a nice physical copy is pretty good.

Mihos

Gold Member

I'm starting to warm to this device a little. $20 for a case, cartridge and nice colour manual is pretty good value. For older games they seem to pack in around six games, but it was the Xenocrisis/Tanglwood double pack that caught my eye. The are both fairly recent, high quality homebrew games, and $20 for both in a nice physical copy is pretty good.

I will pick up that double pack.

Mildudon

4iqqkg.jpg

Agent X

I'm also interested in this system now, especially since they now have actual officially licensed compilations of Atari Lynx games! This is the first time that emulated Lynx games have been represented in any compilation packs since the system went off the market in the mid 1990s.

I honestly thought this would never happen, since Atari rarely licenses out any of their home video games that were on systems other than the Atari 2600. Although, now that we're on this subject, each of the two earlier Atari compilations for the Evercade do have a few Atari 7800 games on them.

AtGames (who produces many Atari-licensed self-contained retro game machines) has done a few portable systems with 2600 games, but apparently has no interest in offering a portable with Lynx games on it. Fans on AtariAge have asked about the possibility of at least tossing in a few Lynx games along with their usual mix of 2600 games, but one of the users there (who does some consulting for AtGames) shot down that idea.

In retrospect, maybe it's OK that it turned out like this. While AtGames has dropped the ball, another company has picked it up. Judging from online reviews, this seems to be a superior product to AtGames' typical fare. If Lynx games are going to reenter the market for the first time in 25 years, then it's better off in the hands of a company that (hopefully) will put in the quality effort that these games deserve.

Agent X

Worms Collection 1 has been announced for Evercade.

According to information found on this site, this cartridge contains the following games:

• Worms (Mega Drive version)
  • Worms Armageddon (PlayStation version)
  • Worms Blast (Game Boy Advance version)

Agent X

Codemasters Collection 1 has been announced for Evercade.

Here's the list of games, again courtesy of Evercade Info Central:

Megadrive / Genesis Games

• Sensible Soccer – International Edition
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Tennis All-Stars
  • Mega-Lo-Mania
  • Cosmic Spacehead
  • Psycho Pinball
  • Super Skidmarks

NES Games

• Big Nose Freaks Out
  • Big Nose the Caveman