• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - A Classic Revisited on PS1/PC/Dreamcast!

Grief.exe

It's unfortunate that the upgrades for the DC version weren't also translated to the PC version, since the timeframe puts those being developed nearly simultaneously.

Would have been an easy way to play the game today.

This is a series I've always meant to get into. I love the aesthetic and was always impressed by how far it pushed the PSX.

I own it on PC, but stopped playing after learning that it runs at a lower framerate on PC (compared to DC) and doesn't have the dynamic soundtrack. I have the DC version kicking around somewhere though. One of these days I'll pick it up!

Also, my god, the warping textures in the PSX version are pretty crazy. As someone that appreciates a consistent presentation (and hates games with poor AF,) this would drive me crazy.

jett

D-Member
Seeing The GIA in there was a serious blast from the past. I think that was probably the only gaming website I've ever really cared about. Those were the early days of the interwebs for me...

Nice vid on Soul Reaver. That was a game that blew me away on the PS1, but for some reason I remember very little about. I guess my brain can only make so much space for too many gaming memories. :p

EctoPrime

Soul Reaver is an outstanding game that I am glad I gave a second chance to after playing the PC demo. The fact that the Playstation version of the fire glyph demo included the intro video won me over. Then again running the game in software rendering mode in 320 x 240 to avoid massive stuttering with a 2MB videocard could of been a factor.

The Playstation 2 version of Soul Reaver 2 includes a special features section that has the original games soundtrack and high quality intro movie.

Watched it. Great guest. Excellent stuff!

Didn't know that the PC version is missing all those Dreamcast improvements. Sad to see that there isn't a proper definitve version. I actually tried Dreamcast emulation 1-2 years ago, but the stuttering was really bad and there are other effects missing.

I think the the original Dreamcast version is still the best way to play it - if you have the hardware.

Dec

I wish someone had succeeded in their Blood Omen sequel. I played that game last year for the first time and really loved it. But then to find out the sequels are character action games really turned me off the series.

The video is still very interesting though.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Also, NeoGAF's own Mama Robotnik is a guest on this episode! Curious to hear if you guys like the idea of guests in future episode! I think his knowledge brought a lot to the table!

I really like the idea of guests but the pacing of the video was impacted in this particular case. The speech patterns between yourself and MR were enough that it was a bit jarring to switch back and forth. I don't know if it comes down to experience in narrating? I think a better way to handle might be to have the guests be interviewed on the podcast or dedicate a separate video to the discussion, like with the Saturn one yourself and Richard did previously.

Garlador

I can listen to Legacy of Kain's dialogue alone for hours on end and be riveted every time.

When you think about how many games even today have sub-standard voice acting that falls into melodrama or anime VA cliches, and then you hear what they were doing at the time with games like Soul Reaver, and it's still incredible. Top-tier voice acting married to top-tier story-crafting.

I could listen to Kain's speech at the pillars for days.

Seeing The GIA in there was a serious blast from the past. I think that was probably the only gaming website I've ever really cared about. Those were the early days of the interwebs for me...

Nice vid on Soul Reaver. That was a game that blew me away on the PS1, but for some reason I remember very little about. I guess my brain can only make so much space for too many gaming memories. :p

Me, too. Pour one out for The GIA.

dark - I enjoyed the video as always, and I also enjoyed the cameo from MR. He does such great work in his posts and it’s nice to see him “rewarded” in this manner with cameos like this.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I loved and hated the series. Specifically for Soul Reaver i just felt visually it was empty and drab, and the gameplay outside of the bosses was just boring.

Soul Reaver 2 I enjoyed much more - mainly because the narrative was next level.

I can listen to Legacy of Kain's dialogue alone for hours on end and be riveted every time.

When you think about how many games even today have sub-standard voice acting that falls into melodrama or anime VA cliches, and then you hear what they were doing at the time with games like Soul Reaver, and it's still incredible. Top-tier voice acting married to top-tier story-crafting.

I could listen to Kain's speech at the pillars for days.

Indeed. Also, Tony Jay really embodied The Elder God. He is sorely missed.

Great episode! Really enjoyed the mama robotnik cameo! One day I hope to get to this game, I've been interested for a while. And yes, Tony Jay was amazing! Him as Frollo is one of my favorite Disney performances.

Parsnip

The abbreviated version of Ozar Midrashim (without all the dialogue nonsense at the beginning) is such a great track fuuuuck.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That intro sequence is just the stuff of legend. The writing. The visuals. The music. The voice acting. I can't.

Zetta

This will be a fun watch but I have to say that everytime I see a LOK thread I die a little inside. I just don't understand why we can get another game in the series.

nkarafo

An episode about Shadowman would also be nice. Great game and now forgotten as well, this one also had a N64 port that was pretty great, so far you have made the console look pretty bad in most DF Retro videos IMO.

Majmun

DIdn't know about the Information Society stuff.

Ozar Midrashim is just perfect for this game and a big part of it.

mdzapeer

@Dark

Will we be getting a DF retro for some J/RPGs in the future? None covered so far as far as I am aware.

Hint:Final Fantasy

Fucking Mama Robotnik...

That was actually cool. I can't think of a better guest, TBH. Given all of Mama's research on this series. Well done episode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gex runs at 30fps with slowdown? Is it like this on other platforms
Nope. It's a rock solid 60fps on Saturn and PS1.

The 3DO was just really weak when handling 2D - it made the jump to a frame-buffer setup rather than using tile based drawing like 16-bit machines but it wasn't really strong enough to do it at high speeds.

Most 2D 3DO games are 30fps or worse. Street Fighter 2 on there is one of the few that runs at a proper 60fps but it's missing lots of parallax.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Was hoping this would help me decide which version to play since I got the GOG version and the PS1 version but doesn't look like there is a no compromise version available.
I guess it's between dynamic music and 60 FPS. lol

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I started playing Soul Reaver several times as a kid and loved every moment of it. I currently have a copy on DC and PC. Now I know that the PC version is a port of the PS1 build, and the DC version has the enhanced graphics, but I'm wondering if there are any mods that put the enhanced DC visuals into the PC version?

Top Bottom