• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: The Panzer Dragoon series!!

RAIDEN1

Another great piece on another Sega great we are unlikely to get a HD reboot of....the Panzer Dragoon series! Really interesting episode detailing what the first game was making use of in the Saturn hardware in terms of VDP1 and 2, and Panzer Dragoon Zwei!! Which took things to another level.....commendable job for the Saturn....but not enough to halt the rise to the top for the PS-1.....

1morerobot

I would love to have a reasonable way to play these. Actually, I have Orta somewhere not even opened. I should play that.

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
A shame that Sega doesn’t have the original code/lost it (Last I heard it discussed it was said Sega didn’t have it anymore). It could have a fighting chance to be ported then. Probably not so much now.

Last edited:
Zwei was one of my favorites on the Saturn. Thanks DF for the nice work on the series, although it would have been better that you had spent more time talking about the sequel's brilliance than the first game's designs and shortcomings. Playing Zwei back in the 90's left me in awe for a long time until Shadow of the Colossus was unleashed on PS2.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Some of the Zwei looks 60fps, must be after watching the 20fps makes the 30fps look super smooth,

cireza

One of the greatest series ever. I replay Zwei very often, it is my favorite. I really hope that we get a proper new game one day.

B_Signal

It's a really good video. Part 2 should be interesting, Saga looked amazing at the time, I think it still plays well, and really needs another way to play it

thelawof4

Those games kind of remind me of games from Team Ico or From Software. The design and general atmosphere seems great.

Pejo

Some of my favorite games all of time. I so badly want to see it remade for VR. Bookmarked the video for later, I'm really interested to see this one.

Wow, the dev team really made the Saturn shine with Zwei. I have both but I've never played them back to back to realise the extra layer of detail and visual fidelity. I'm going to have to unbox my Japanese Saturn this weekend and give them a play through again, I think.

I've been listening to the Panzer Dragoon OST non-stop since I saw this DFR episode yesterday. Yoshitaka Azuma did such an amazing job with the soundtrack. This won't be leaving my playlist for a long time.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The original Panzer Dragoon was a revelation in 1995. It was the videogame that made me get a Sega Saturn during those summer months when Sega had the next-gen field all to itself. Like many gamers, I was very lukewarm on the system, which received nothing but negative press and endless slagging for the past year. Everybody was gunning for Sony Playstation, especially after the E3 show. But Panzer Dragoon was sheer brilliance, and that opening CGI movie alone was worth the trip.

The visual design of the game is pretty simple, when you think about it. Team Andromeda knew when to push the polygons and knew when to back off and let the open landscapes shine. There's a stage that begins above a vast autumnal forest that always gave me chills. It looked so glorious. The first stage with its broken columns, shattered ruins and rolling water was a sight to behold. The pop-up was a bit tacky, but relatively minor (we were already conditioned to believe Saturn "couldn't do 3D" and that pop-up was the worst thing to happen since FMV). I loved the cinematic flair of flying over a flooded city, into a mansion, inside its submerged corrodors, only to have the roof cave in suddenly, revealing an enormous ceramic airship flying above you. The music swells just as you fly inside the building and it's all so glorious. You felt like you were on a great quest, a romantic adventure.

The only real criticism of the game was its high difficulty, but there were only six or seven stages, and you were basically playing a three-dimensional Space Harrier, so that was to be expected. If the game was too easy, we would have felt robbed, and we probably would have put down our controllers and went back to playing Super Mario Kart and NHL 95 on the 16-bit systems.

The Saturn launch period was really quite good, despite all the rough edges. Virtua Fighter (VF Remix was such a rush when it arrived in my mailbox for free), Daytona USA (ugly, schmugly, the gameplay was fantastic and everybody loved it), Worldwide Soccer (killer sports game with excellent graphics and "Sega Rock"), Bug (visually amazing if wildly repetitive), Pebble Beach Golf Links (this was the big surprise, very fun in multiplayer). Panzer Dragoon was the best of the bunch, and it was the only one to really withstand that first atomic blast of the Playstation launch.

After Sega's miraculous Christmas turnaround with Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship and Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon Zwei arrived in early 1996 to prove that Saturn wasn't just a fluke. It still looks amazing today. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. There are so many amazing additions, like the growing dragon who grows and evolves a dozen different ways (and alternating between running and flying), the multiple pathways, the brilliant stage designs, the wonderful sense of scale, the rock-solid 30fps frame rate (it's crazy how Sega never got credit for their high frame rates in that era, when 15-20fps was considered normal).

The best moment: the first stage, where the dragon runs off a cliff and flies for the first time. Another miraculous cinematic moment. Next best moment: running through a dense forest and battling monsters that attack from all sides. Next best moment: walking onto a platform that rises up a cavern, revealing a pathway into a hidden lake with an enormous creature inside.

It's a terrible tragedy that so few developers were able to push the Saturn as effectively as Team Andromeda. I had hoped there would be scores of games that looked as solid and polished as Panzer Zwei. Sadly, that wasn't the case, especially among third-party software. If you were one of the five or six best programmers in the world, you could make Saturn sing like a soprano. If you were everyone else, you bumbled and stumbled about until Playstation's success was large enough to no longer care. Such is the way of things. Nintendo 64 and Sony PSX had vast software libraries, but Sega had a dozen masterpieces that could never be topped. Years later, we're still playing Saturn. I never would have guessed that would happen back in '96.

P.S. This only leaves us with Panzer Dragoon Saga, the towering masterpiece, the greatest Role-Playing Game of the last 20 years. But that's another discussion and that game really deserves its own "official" thread. It's only knocks: the game is too short, and the price tag is too expensive. Massively, criminally, reality-dissolving expensive. What-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you expensive.

Can somebody tell the bosses at Sega-Sammy to kindly wake the eff up? Remake this trilogy. Put them all on Nintendo Switch, whose motion controls would be perfect for aiming. Then apologize for not releasing these games on the Wii a decade ago, like you should have done.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I would love a Panzer Dragoon Remake along with Phantasy Star 2...

Sega could spend the next ten years doing nothing but remaking all their classics from the Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast, and I would be perfectly happy. They have a back catalog that would make anyone jealous. And it's all collecting dust because fools are in charge.

ph33rknot

Banned
just started playing saga. The intro to panzer dragoon 1 is amazing as soon as I heard it all the memories rushed back

The original Panzer Dragoon was a revelation in 1995. It was the videogame that made me get a Sega Saturn during those summer months when Sega had the next-gen field all to itself. Like many gamers, I was very lukewarm on the system, which received nothing but negative press and endless slagging for the past year. Everybody was gunning for Sony Playstation, especially after the E3 show. But Panzer Dragoon was sheer brilliance, and that opening CGI movie alone was worth the trip.

The visual design of the game is pretty simple, when you think about it. Team Andromeda knew when to push the polygons and knew when to back off and let the open landscapes shine. There's a stage that begins above a vast autumnal forest that always gave me chills. It looked so glorious. The first stage with its broken columns, shattered ruins and rolling water was a sight to behold. The pop-up was a bit tacky, but relatively minor (we were already conditioned to believe Saturn "couldn't do 3D" and that pop-up was the worst thing to happen since FMV). I loved the cinematic flair of flying over a flooded city, into a mansion, inside its submerged corrodors, only to have the roof cave in suddenly, revealing an enormous ceramic airship flying above you. The music swells just as you fly inside the building and it's all so glorious. You felt like you were on a great quest, a romantic adventure.

The only real criticism of the game was its high difficulty, but there were only six or seven stages, and you were basically playing a three-dimensional Space Harrier, so that was to be expected. If the game was too easy, we would have felt robbed, and we probably would have put down our controllers and went back to playing Super Mario Kart and NHL 95 on the 16-bit systems.

The Saturn launch period was really quite good, despite all the rough edges. Virtua Fighter (VF Remix was such a rush when it arrived in my mailbox for free), Daytona USA (ugly, schmugly, the gameplay was fantastic and everybody loved it), Worldwide Soccer (killer sports game with excellent graphics and "Sega Rock"), Bug (visually amazing if wildly repetitive), Pebble Beach Golf Links (this was the big surprise, very fun in multiplayer). Panzer Dragoon was the best of the bunch, and it was the only one to really withstand that first atomic blast of the Playstation launch.

After Sega's miraculous Christmas turnaround with Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship and Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon Zwei arrived in early 1996 to prove that Saturn wasn't just a fluke. It still looks amazing today. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. There are so many amazing additions, like the growing dragon who grows and evolves a dozen different ways (and alternating between running and flying), the multiple pathways, the brilliant stage designs, the wonderful sense of scale, the rock-solid 30fps frame rate (it's crazy how Sega never got credit for their high frame rates in that era, when 15-20fps was considered normal).

The best moment: the first stage, where the dragon runs off a cliff and flies for the first time. Another miraculous cinematic moment. Next best moment: running through a dense forest and battling monsters that attack from all sides. Next best moment: walking onto a platform that rises up a cavern, revealing a pathway into a hidden lake with an enormous creature inside.

It's a terrible tragedy that so few developers were able to push the Saturn as effectively as Team Andromeda. I had hoped there would be scores of games that looked as solid and polished as Panzer Zwei. Sadly, that wasn't the case, especially among third-party software. If you were one of the five or six best programmers in the world, you could make Saturn sing like a soprano. If you were everyone else, you bumbled and stumbled about until Playstation's success was large enough to no longer care. Such is the way of things. Nintendo 64 and Sony PSX had vast software libraries, but Sega had a dozen masterpieces that could never be topped. Years later, we're still playing Saturn. I never would have guessed that would happen back in '96.

P.S. This only leaves us with Panzer Dragoon Saga, the towering masterpiece, the greatest Role-Playing Game of the last 20 years. But that's another discussion and that game really deserves its own "official" thread. It's only knocks: the game is too short, and the price tag is too expensive. Massively, criminally, reality-dissolving expensive. What-the-hell-is-wrong-with-you expensive.

Can somebody tell the bosses at Sega-Sammy to kindly wake the eff up? Remake this trilogy. Put them all on Nintendo Switch, whose motion controls would be perfect for aiming. Then apologize for not releasing these games on the Wii a decade ago, like you should have done.

Awesome post mate. I really enjoyed reading that. It deserves its own thread (or a RTTP: Panzer Dragoon Zwei). I was late to the Saturn scene so I missed out on that experience. So many of the Saturn's best titles still hold up fantastically now and the great controller makes them even better.

ghairat

The Panzer Dragoon series is amazing. Replay them now and then. I don´t know but I always get Soul edge vibes when I hear the first stage theme..

I really did love these games when I first played them on the Saturn. I was one of the few people in my Country I think to get a copy of Saga. It really shows some of the amazing things the developers were able to achieve. It's a real pity that due to mismanagement of the Saturn a huge chunk of players didn't get to experience some of these gems at the time, it really shows how newer gamers don't seem to even be aware of some of Sega's fantastic contributions to gaming.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Awesome post mate. I really enjoyed reading that. It deserves its own thread (or a RTTP: Panzer Dragoon Zwei). I was late to the Saturn scene so I missed out on that experience. So many of the Saturn's best titles still hold up fantastically now and the great controller makes them even better.

Yeah, thanks. I should put it into a book so nobody will read it (/snark).

ph33rknot

Banned
Those games kind of remind me of games from Team Ico or From Software. The design and general atmosphere seems great.

I agree about team ico not so much from software the original shadow of the colossus was amazing I still prefer the original to the new one

Top Bottom