• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Shenmue 3 Tech Preview: A worthy sucessor to a retro classic?

Thabass

The backer demo ran pretty dang well all things considered. I need to put some more time into it, but I enjoyed what I played so far and ran rather well.

It looks great and the performance being so smooth even on mid to weak hardware got me by surprise.

Imagine what a veteran team led by Yu Suzuki wouldnt achieve.

Esppiral

I don't understand the people that says that it looks bad or like a PS3-360 game I mean this looks great

4uKjiof.jpg
5GSdbr5.jpg
wYjl35s.jpg
LftBd3U.jpg
3cOHnhO.jpg

bB5yetQ.jpg
3JCbfZx.jpg

isGm1P8.jpg
64WctWT.jpg

The facial animations and expressions have improved A LOT and the environments are beautiful

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Game looks good, it's just the voice acting kinda matches it's prequels
Which even then wasn't good.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It kind of boggles my mind that people wanted this for so long, a true dream long shot in the industry, then they get it, and all they can do is complain about the visuals... of something that has no right to exist, made on a shoe-string budget, and *still* looks better than it’s predecessors.

I’m not part of this fandom, but it just strikes me as bizarre.

Only issue I have with it is that walking animation.
I also dislike the dumbing down of the combat system. That's a real bummer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My issue with the visuals is that some of the character designs is very stylize but in hyper realistic environments and texture/lighting which makes look little off to me. In my opinion they should have gone with DQXI or KH3 style visuals, but thats just me.

Komatsu

It kind of boggles my mind that people wanted this for so long, a true dream long shot in the industry, then they get it, and all they can do is complain about the visuals... of something that has no right to exist, made on a shoe-string budget, and *still* looks better than it’s predecessors.

This. Shenmue III was an absolute impossibility, a running joke, something that would never happen. And then it did. Lightning does strike the same place twice when it comes to Yu Suzuki. Part of me still can't believe it. And then people complain!!? What?

Compared to Mighty Number 9 and other KS monstrosities, it's great. Even on its own, the game looks mighty fine.

Last edited:
The game looks fantastic. There are some rough edges with the animation but overall it's nothing to sneeze at. It's got that slavish attention to detail, chill pace and sense of place that defines so much of the Shenmue experience.

I know I'm gonna love this game. I'm not too crazy about the changes they've made to combat, though. I'm kinda hoping that grabs & throws can be included post-release somehow.

Keihart

Great review, i agree with everything they state.
Most aesthetics things are great but the models of Ryo and Shenhua are only good enough, but we knew that they were struggling already to catch their likeness correctly for a while.
Just like the review mentions, the combat feels like a big step back, at least if you cared for it in previous games. Animations are kinda rough even when compared with the old games and the system itself is way less elegant. I'm still baffled about how the inputs for specific moves works....jeez, what were they thinking?

Edit:
The game looks fantastic. There are some rough edges with the animation but overall it's nothing to sneeze at. It's got that slavish attention to detail, chill pace and sense of place that defines so much of the Shenmue experience.

I know I'm gonna love this game. I'm not too crazy about the changes they've made to combat, though. I'm kinda hoping that grabs & throws can be included post-release somehow.

It goes deeper than throws and grabs
Q0LlRgi.gif

giphy.gif

Can you guess the normal input for that move now? Every move that is not a single button besides the moves you can use from guarding are a sequence of button presses before the animation starts, for example: Tornado Kick is "A, A, X, X" BEFORE the kick even starts animating, it makes every move feel laggy because the buffer the game has to have before knowing which move you want execute, for example : A or A, X or A, A, X or A, A, X, X. Kinda crazy really, i hope it gets somehow fixed or improved. Never imagined in my life that i would be explaining to someone why i think Shenmue's combat is trash lol
Move list video for reference:

Last edited:

Kazza

But who is this "they" you speak of? I really don't think it's the hardcore Shenmue fans. If you look at the Shemue Dojo Forum (surely the centre of Shenmue fandom) they have been very positive throughout. The people criticising the graphics are a different set of folks entirely. They mainly fall into three categories:
1. People how hate kickstarters and want to see another failed project
2. People who hate the Epic store
3. Trolls who jumped on the hate bandwagon for the lols when that early "trailer" with the missing facial animations released

Feedback from the demo has been pretty much entirely positive. This has turned out better than anyone had any right to expect back in 2015. I think the fans will almost certainly be happy with it. The only unkown right now is how many new fans it can attract. There aren't too many story-based, small open world martial arts adventure games like this, so hopefully it'll find its niche.

-Arcadia-

Banned
But who is this "they" you speak of? I really don't think it's the hardcore Shenmue fans. If you look at the Shemue Dojo Forum (surely the centre of Shenmue fandom) they have been very positive throughout. The people criticising the graphics are a different set of folks entirely. They mainly fall into three categories:
1. People how hate kickstarters and want to see another failed project
2. People who hate the Epic store
3. Trolls who jumped on the hate bandwagon for the lols when that early "trailer" with the missing facial animations released

Feedback from the demo has been pretty much entirely positive. This has turned out better than anyone had any right to expect back in 2015. I think the fans will almost certainly be happy with it. The only unkown right now is how many new fans it can attract. There aren't too many story-based, small open world martial arts adventure games like this, so hopefully it'll find its niche.

I can’t speak with any authority on the matter, as I’m an outsider, but I was just surprised to casually see some of that.

Yoda

A little bummed out over the seemingly downgraded combat, I'm glad the game didn't try to copy current-gen open-world games for the sake of being current. I'm still curious if he'll force end the series here because making Shenmue 4 seems unlikely? Or if it'll end on a cliffhanger.

Cattlyst

I really hope they tie Ryo's movement to the d-pad like in the Dreamcast originals. You know, for authenticity.

Top Bottom