• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Original Xbox One Re-Tested: Can Microsoft's Weakest Console Keep Up With The Latest Games?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Chill Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Dane

Why now? They should never have stopped testing the original model after the S came out if there are notable differences.
There wasn't much, it was around 5% of performance increase, the differential was the 4K Blu Ray player and the 4K output for movies and upscaling, the only game that actually used the extra performance was Doom 64 which runs at like 1290p

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There wasn't much, it was around 5% of performance increase, the differential was the 4K Blu Ray player and the 4K output for movies and upscaling, the only game that actually used the extra performance was Doom 64 which runs at like 1290p
Agreed.

It's not like a 5% diff is going to make a 720p game into 900, or a 900p game into 1080p.

The 4k features were the main selling points.

Maybe the extra power helped with 4k movie playing or BC gaming.

At least we are finally at a point where everyone can admit the Xbox One was just a terribly designed hardware and for almost 10 years delivered a clearly subpar experience.

What I find funny is how DF decided people cared a lot more about PS4 Pro vs Series X than Xbox One vs PS4 when the base consoles where a lot more popular. For most of the gen, the fact that games run so poorly on the Xbox One was mostly ignored.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
doom 64 runs at 1440p on the One S. Ps4 and even the base XO probably could as well, but the reason they didn’t is because those consoles didn’t have native 4k output, and the devs didn’t want to have the game scale multiple times as that caused graphical issues.

Roberts

Beating a dead horse.

Fortunately for me, I barely ever played games from 2013 until 2017 and still remember the joy of trying out Xbox One X for the first time and experiencing a huge relief when it turned out to be so much better and powerful.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why do they respect last gen? Because the player base you can’t ignore after a while they’ll discontinue cross gen games.

Three

At least we are finally at a point where everyone can admit the Xbox One was just a terribly designed hardware and for almost 10 years delivered a clearly subpar experience.
I don't think that's the case it's just that it has a terrible time keeping up now because devs spend less time optimising for it. That and the fact that DF are probably trying to get xbox users to upgrade now hence this late feature. Wonder why 😉

Last edited:

What I find funny is how DF decided people cared a lot more about PS4 Pro vs Series X than Xbox One vs PS4 when the base consoles where a lot more popular. For most of the gen, the fact that games run so poorly on the Xbox One was mostly ignored.
Who argued the X1 was well designed or offered a superior game playing experience? It was always dogged for being more of a media and television device over a game console. Did you miss the TV TV TV reveal? You must have also missed the ton of DF comparisons showing the PS4 outperforming the X1.

I don't think that's the case it's just that it has a terrible time keeping up now because devs spend less time optimising for it. That and the fact that DF are probably trying to get xbox users to upgrade now hence this late feature. Wonder why 😉
Come on, talking about optimizing for Xbox One in 2022... it's way past time for everyone to just accept it for what it is.

Three

Come on, talking about optimizing for Xbox One in 2022... it's way past time for everyone to just accept it for what it is.
I mean yeah it's a weak machine but optimisation in terms of looking at performance profiles on it and making the necessary cutbacks for decent performance. I don't mean some Riky shit like unlocking some RDNA2 secret sauce.

I mean yeah it's a weak machine but optimisation in terms of looking at performance profiles on it and making the necessary cutbacks for decent performance. I don't mean some Riky shit like unlocking some RDNA2 secret sauce.
I doubt devs were making games run poorly on it on purpose. PS4 handled the generation much better.

Looking at how poorly the Xbox One aged I can only imagine how much worse the Series S will do over time. They clearly didn't learn anything.

Last edited:

Fake

'Battlefield 2042 is a graphical showcase'.

I disagree. Even Battlefield V have better detail. There are comparisons between series, video and photo.

Sry Oliver.

Back on the subject. Lol. Using DDR3 was one of their many mistakes, not to mention dedicating some of the gpu power to the kinect.
The CoD have the 720p vs 1080p that even DF don't believe in the time been. Rewatching the DF Retro about the Xbox One launch was already a great documentary about that.

For those curious, I highly recommend watching this video:

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The Xbox one will not be remembered fondly.

The series x is a lovely bit of hardware. Now we need the games Phil! Hurry up and arrive June for some news about anything.

Yeah.

It was a little like... "Well boys, the one x is out, who cares if the base model is shit?"

Then again, DF did still make fun of, and point out xb1 shortcomings a lot.

Kacho

Interesting video. I’d love to know how many people are still rocking an OG One under their TV. It’s crazy to think people played Elden Ring on it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Bookmarked. Xbox One was disastrously underpowered from day one. Terrible design. PS4 ran circles around it from launch day, and continued to embarrass it year after year. The machine was a heavily compromised design, and half of what Microsoft hoped would make it sell was eventually downplayed, and removed in later models, because - surprise - it had so little to do with games.

RaZoR No1

'Battlefield 2042 is a graphical showcase'.

I disagree. Even Battlefield V have better detail. There are comparisons between series, video and photo.

Sry Oliver.

Back on the subject. Lol. Using DDR3 was one of their many mistakes, not to mention dedicating some of the gpu power to the kinect.
The CoD have the 720p vs 1080p that even DF don't believe in the time been. Rewatching the DF Retro about the Xbox One launch was already a great documentary about that.

For those curious, I highly recommend watching this video:

Wasnt GDDR5 too expensive and therefore MS went with 8GB DDR3 and then were suprised by Sony that they used 8GB GDDR5, because all rumours hinted at that Sony is going to use only 4GB GDDR5?
+
Beiing PS4 100€/$ more cheaper and faster didnt help MS, too...

Fake

Wasnt GDDR5 too expensive and therefore MS went with 8GB DDR3 and then were suprised by Sony that they used 8GB GDDR5, because all rumours hinted at that Sony is going to use only 4GB GDDR5?
+
Beiing PS4 100€/$ more cheaper and faster didnt help MS, too...

Was indeed, but Sony get to the point very quick.

What point? Well, about the time companies take to make profit selling hardware. Microsoft was so convinced about the sucess of Xbox 360 that totally forgot about that.

Sony lost money selling PS4 from around one year because of the production cost, but they know AMD chipset would eventually reduce the price over time and that software make more money than hardware, assuming you have a decent install base.

Another point in question, if you saw the video I posted, both John and Rich from Digital Foundry already knew about the Playstation 4 specs, so even them got shocked from PS4 reveal conference about Sony double the memory configuration. The PS4 prototype came with 4 GDDR5 and devs complain about the low memory size, so they ditch the ideia of selling a PS4 with the camera. So, PS4 with 2x 4 GDDR5 and removed camera sense for reduce the launch price.

Not only the DDR3 was a bad ideia, but rely in the SRAM was also a bad move. All the pieces together, the cost, the specs, the forced kinect and the DRM.
Microsoft even OC some of the original Xbox One configuration.

edit: BTW, the rumors are true. Microsoft source got right. PS4 prototype came with 4 GBDDR5, but even with less memory I got shocked they knew it Sony would use GDDR5 and still opt for DDR3. GDDR5 are superior over DDR3 in gaming. Microsoft move (or lack of move) don't make any sense.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What an awful machine in pretty much every respect. Coming off the 360 it looks especially bad.

At the end of the day, no one really plays games on two systems simultaneously to judge the results. I had a blast with my VCR and played a lot of games on it over the 5 or so years it was my primary gaming box. There were some games that didn't work that well (the Sniper Elite, I forget the number, where they didn't lower any settings and just dropped it on Xbox comes to mind), but there were a lot of great games where the experience was close enough to PS4 that you'd never notice the difference without a direct comparison.

With that said, I don't think you can make a sound argument against the idea that MS mishandled the momentum they had from 360, I'll give you that.

Saber

Gold Member
I find this video to be very boring to watch and it felt like the guy behind was expressing more of his personnal view than anything. Also, there was already a Xbox One reveal conference DF, which is waaaaaay more entertaiment to watch, way more technical and informative. This video is a low quality, sounding more like "nothing better to do" and the presenter didn't make this experience any better.

Bridges

Interesting video. I’d love to know how many people are still rocking an OG One under their TV. It’s crazy to think people played Elden Ring on it.
I have a Series X and a One X out on the main TVs but keep a base XB1 in my room. Every time I turn it on I am reminded how monumentally shitty it is and usually just turn it back off. Especially compared to the newer consoles it is tough to go back to.

I also have to factory reset mine 1 out of every 3 times I try to use it just to boot into the dashboard but that's probably just a me thing.

Edit: For example, I tried playing something I thought would be easy to run like Monster Train on it and was appalled at the load times.

Last edited:

Kacho

I have a Series X and a One X out on the main TVs but keep a base XB1 in my room. Every time I turn it on I am reminded how monumentally shitty it is and usually just turn it back off. Especially compared to the newer consoles it is tough to go back to.

I also have to factory reset mine 1 out of every 3 times I try to use it just to boot into the dashboard but that's probably just a me thing.

Edit: For example, I tried playing something I thought would be easy to run like Monster Train on it and was appalled at the load times.
Yeah I can’t even stomach playing on my One X anymore because the whole system is obnoxiously slow compared to the Series X. You get the same experience on the base One and One S only games look & run orders of magnitude worse lol.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I mean... the xbone was poorly planned and all thanks to kinect but other than load times those games play just fine.

They should have capped the unlocked frame rate games to 30. All in all the console still provides a better experience compared to how 7th gen consoles used to run games (sub hd and 30 fps with big drops)

Maybe it's the old gamer in me talking but Just compare how the 360 and PS3 used to run games... specially cross gen ones :the xbone is almost 9 years old and a low end machine to boot.

These 8th gen consoles will continue being useful for 2022 and even early 2023 and more if we talk about indies.
Not everyone is interested in playing the latest and greatest AAA games with top IQ and frame rates. In that case they wouldn't own consoles in the first place.

I feel that the ps4 was never pushed to it's absolute limits. We never saw a 720p 30 fps first party exclusive maybe GOW Ragnarok?. Even the best looking xbone games gears and FH5 are 1080p 30 fps.

UnNamed

Banned
Actually I find those games very impressive considering the 9yo already underpowered hardware, especially Grid and FH5 . It's like playing downgraded ports on Switch, but these are sligtly better.

Drew1440

My best guess as to why Microsoft designed the Xbox One as it was, mainly due to the RROD fiasco. They really wanted a reliable, cool running console and using high end hardware would produce a lot of heat, despite the Xbox One being larger and having better airflow than the PS4 and 360. That said, using eSRAM+DDR3 instead of GDDR5 was a dumb move, I also thing they had been better using a four core Bulldozer processor rather than 8 Jaguar cores.
Wasn't all bad through, the thing was whisper quiet in the end, and no widespread hardware failures.

My best guess as to why Microsoft designed the Xbox One as it was, mainly due to the RROD fiasco. They really wanted a reliable, cool running console and using high end hardware would produce a lot of heat, despite the Xbox One being larger and having better airflow than the PS4 and 360. That said, using eSRAM+DDR3 instead of GDDR5 was a dumb move, I also thing they had been better using a four core Bulldozer processor rather than 8 Jaguar cores.
Wasn't all bad through, the thing was whisper quiet in the end, and no widespread hardware failures.
It's a lot simpler than that. They were expecting Sony to go for 4GB or GDDR5 instead of 8GB and they had a completely wrong read of the market due to what Kinect did to the 360. They were willing sacrifice other things to include Kinect and on top of that made bad decisions like the eSRAM that didn't pan out at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom