• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tomb Raider Trilogy: Stadia's Most Impressive Ports? Full Xbox One X Comparisons!

The cool thing about Stadia is that thanks to my shitty ISP’s data cap, which I admit isn’t Google’s fault (well unless they are deliberately choosing to not offer their fiber network in my area), I get to pay an extra 200 bucks a month in overage fees. So it’s basically like purchasing a new console every month! We all love new toys! Hallelujah the streaming future is here today at my doorstep.

giphy.gif

NickFire

The cool thing about Stadia is that thanks to my shitty ISP’s data cap, which I admit isn’t Google’s fault (well unless they are deliberately choosing to not offer their fiber network in my area), I get to pay an extra 200 bucks a month in overage fees. So it’s basically like purchasing a new console every month! We all love new toys! Hallelujah the streaming future is here today at my doorstep.

giphy.gif
Didn't they cancel Fiber?

Please keep in mind DF uses outdated computers for streaming, they were caught doing that with PSNow. You can't use a computer that doesn't have the specs and still take advantage of the games features. It's hard to run 4K on a PC that barely supports it and usually upscaled at that, you can tell that's the case by the pixels at the top and bottom as they stretch out.

If they want to be taken seriously they will use a real PC with a modern 4K display, and above average specifications then you would see it looks better than this. There are YouTube videos of better quality which only validates my point.. But this is a lost battle, people are buying Stadia more and more despite this slander.

Stuart360

Please keep in mind DF uses outdated computers for streaming, they were caught doing that with PSNow. You can't use a computer that doesn't have the specs and still take advantage of the games features. It's hard to run 4K on a PC that barely supports it and usually upscaled at that, you can tell that's the case by the pixels at the top and bottom as they stretch out.

If they want to be taken seriously they will use a real PC with a modern 4K display, and above average specifications then you would see it looks better than this. There are YouTube videos of better quality which only validates my point.. But this is a lost battle, people are buying Stadia more and more despite this slander.
You're right it is, so please give your tiresome schtick a rest already.

Trogdor1123

Doesn't everything you just said counter everything about stadia? Like, in every conceivable way?

Also, are people actually buying it? I'm not against stadia at all, I think it's neat but it's got some serious issues. They were too focused on beating Sony and ms out this year that they dropped the ball seriously.

Last edited:

NickFire

So Stadia is good because DF is using an old cpu? What about for people who don't want to buy new hardware for their Stadia experience? Is this Google's official position --> If DF has better computers than you, then you should really spend hundreds or thousands to buy the hardware for their hardware free console?

Also, is Google asking its advocates to drop the word slander around when people criticize their product? Funny word to use in this thread if you aren't trying to stifle conversation.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So Stadia is good because DF is using an old cpu? What about for people who don't want to buy new hardware for their Stadia experience? Is this Google's official position --> If DF has better computers than you, then you should really spend hundreds or thousands to buy the hardware for their hardware free console?

Also, is Google asking its advocates to drop the word slander around when people criticize their product? Funny word to use in this thread if you aren't trying to stifle conversation.

And how old are DF's PCs? Like really? Shouldn't they have pretty good ones considering what they do for a living?

NickFire

And how old are DF's PCs? Like really? Shouldn't they have pretty good ones considering what they do for a living?
I can only assume as I've never been to their offices or spoken with them. But yeah, my assumption is that they have better cpu's than at least 90% of the cpu's in people's homes that are used for gaming.

I have to buy good gaming PC in order to stream games on it? I thought the point of Stadia was that they provided the heavy lifting for me

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Where did this happen exactly? "Caught"? I'm genuinely curious about this now. When did this occur exactly? What are the details?

Cuz that ain't true.

We're always using high-end systems and that is the case here as well. I'm using a 10-core i9 +RTX 2080ti +32gb ram which is likely faster than most users out there. I'd say, if streaming doesn't work well on a machine like this, then streaming has a serious problem.

"You need a powerful PC to...stream games"? What's the point again? Why would you EVER stream games on a powerful PC when you could play them natively and have an infinitely better experience?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Where did this happen exactly? "Caught"? I'm genuinely curious about this now.

Cuz that ain't true.

We're always using high-end systems and that is the case here as well. I'm using a 10-core i9 +RTX 2080ti +32gb ram which is likely faster than most users out there. I'd say, if streaming doesn't work well on a machine like this, then streaming has a serious problem.

"You need a powerful PC to...stream games"? What's the point again? Why would you EVER stream games on a powerful PC when you could play them natively and have an infinitely better experience?

source.gif

WHEW!!!!

NickFire

Where did this happen exactly? "Caught"? I'm genuinely curious about this now. When did this occur exactly? What are the details?

Cuz that ain't true.

I very much appreciate that you gave us the specs that according to some our cpu's must beat out to run Stadia. Also props for confirming that you guys and gals are not researching all the tech stuff you tell us about on integrated processor's with 4 gb of ram.

Prove it. If you're going to do a call-out you need to back it up with receipts, especially when DF guys are active here.

The guy who lives in my basement is a diehard Google fan. Every piece of spyware Google ever made is down there running all his shit.

We have a 600mb/s-1gb/s connection which costs about $300/month up here.

Stadia looks an order of magnitude worse than the games his 1080 equipped PC runs natively. Then add compression artifacts and latency.

Stadia looks like shit.

Why would you EVER stream games on a powerful PC when you could play them natively and have an infinitely better experience?

This is the problem right here, Stadia isn't a PC only streaming platform, it's an option. You can stream to your phone, your Chromebook, your tablet, your TV, or your PC. Only one device on that list has demanding specifications and that's PC, if you want optimal streaming quality you would need a very good PC, or turn the settings down.

At some point Stadia became associated with PC in the gaming press causing all kinds of confusion, and I'm not entirely sure why when that's just one of the many ways to use the service. The primary way to use it currently is on a TV.

NickFire

This is the problem right here, Stadia isn't a PC only streaming platform, it's an option. You can stream to your phone, your Chromebook, your tablet, your TV, or your PC. Only one device on that list has demanding specifications and that's PC, if you want optimal streaming quality you would need a very good PC, or turn the settings down.

At some point Stadia became associated with PC in the gaming press causing all kinds of confusion, and I'm not entirely sure why when that's just one of the many ways to use the service. The primary way to use it currently is on a TV.
This does not make things sound better at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

...but your original point was that apparently DF used a low spec PC for streaming in the past and that it is still going on? That's silly. We constantly upgrade our PCs and typically stick to very high-end gear. So that is never going to be an issue.

However, thinking about it, in this case, to get the actual best quality 4K stream from Stadia right now - you have to use their Chromecast included with the Stadia pad.

I haven't made a Stadia video myself because I don't have that Chromecast yet so it's not even possible to capture their premium feed. This is as good as it gets. 4K feed on a 300mbps fiber line. If you're telling me that it's not fair to use that then, buddy, there are serious problems with Stadia as that's extremely optimal.

Jtibh

Banned

Pffuuuii i want to see alex's and johns reply to this.
Buddy these guys are pros and know what they are talking about.
Sadly they are smart enough not to cave in to your bullshit and ripp you apart.

ethomaz

Banned

Bullshit.

C'mon.

Last edited:

Cuz that ain't true.

Game.

Set.

Match.

I thought the idea of you guys using low end PCs for any sort of tech analysis, streaming or not, seemed like an odd accusation.

ethomaz

Banned

Cuz that ain't true.

Forget what he said... he have no shit ideia what he is talking about.
Stadia processing is outside... you don't even need a high-end PC to get a streaming in 4k.

Stadia can't stream these games in 4k it is a server side limitation.

He should be banned for his lack of sense to defense control something.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Cuz that ain't true.

You fucking give it to him John! Well said!

for his lack of sense to defense control something.

Is this even a sentence?

However, thinking about it, in this case, to get the actual best quality 4K stream from Stadia right now - you have to use their Chromecast included with the Stadia pad.

I haven't made a Stadia video myself because I don't have that Chromecast yet so it's not even possible to capture their premium feed. This is as good as it gets. 4K feed on a 300mbps fiber line. If you're telling me that it's not fair to use that then, buddy, there are serious problems with Stadia as that's extremely optimal.

I don't think there's any serious problem, Stadia was built for streaming to TV and mobile devices while PC is optional, but you and many others treat Stadia like a PC-first platform for some reason.

mckmas8808

I don't think there's any serious problem, Stadia was built for streaming to TV and mobile devices while PC is optional, but you and many others treat Stadia like a PC-first platform for some reason.

Are you serious? Even Google doesn't say this.

You say you need a high-end PC to run Stadia properly on a PC (which defeats the purpose) then point out that other devices like shit tablets can run Stadia.

Which is it?

7dVzCjC.jpg

Please explain why you need a high-end PC to run an in-browser streaming service when the same PC has no issue running 4K steams off YouTube.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I thought Stadia could run on any device, hence our supposed perfect streaming future... Yet now I'm getting told that we need a high end PC to stream Stadia in 4k at 60 fps??? Why don't I just get a high end PC then and play games natively WITHOUT the lag and variable picture quality associated with streaming?

That’s because the background is just a video. I’ll give it a check, though. This is more interesting and important to me than anything Stadia.

Both the untextured and textured versions run at 60FPS on 3DO. I bring it up because the PSX version runs below 60FPS from what I've played which makes things interesting.

Stuart360

Both the untextured and textured versions run at 60FPS on 3DO. I bring it up because the PSX version runs below 60FPS from what I've played which makes things interesting.
Afro unless you have a 3DO Mark 2 connected to your 3DO, Starblade doesnt come close to 60fps. Its more like 20fps in standard mode, and 10fps in textured mode lol. I ownded the game and played it a shit ton.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
OMG... sorry, just reading some of the, erm, posts... wow... we have ourselves a new *other poster*

Brilliant. Love it.

Keep posting sir, I’m just grabbing a beer. This is comedy gold.

Afro unless you have a 3DO Mark 2 connected to your 3DO, Starblade doesnt come close to 60fps. Its more like 20fps in standard mode, and 10fps in textured mode lol. I ownded the game and played it a shit ton.

All I know is that it runs better than the PSX version in both texture modes, but Dark will tell us the FPS of both modes when he gets back.

Stuart360

All I know is that it runs better than the PSX version in both texture modes, but Dark will tell us the FPS of both modes when he gets back.
From my memory, the 3DO version ran a bit worse, and picture quality was worse. Both ran like shit though to be honest. I'll take your word for it though as i'm not certain.

Top Bottom