• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] What does it take to run Destiny 2 at 1080p60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DF released the video and article several hours ago, but I didn't see a thread so here goes.

Link to the article
Enter the Pentium G4560: two cores, four threads and a locked 3.5GHz tells you everything you need to know about this one. It's an i3 in all but name. In fact, in virtually all of our gaming tests, pairing it with 2400MHz RAM (its limit) sees performance move into line with the last-gen Core i3 6100 when paired with 2133MHz DDR4 modules. The beauty of it is that this is a $65 processor, UK prices fluctuating according to exchange rates and availability. Put simply, it's the best price vs performance processor on the market.

Ruling out GPU as a bottleneck by using a GTX 1080 Ti at 1080p with carefully adjusted settings, the Pentium delivers 60fps - even in the beta's most demanding section, the fiery Tower defence stage a few minutes into the action. We get close to 100 per cent utilisation across all four threads, but the $65 processor holds up. Beyond that, PvP and even the Inverted Spire strike cause no problems - in fact, processor load seems lighter here, especially in the Crucible.
With performance this good, could PS4 Pro and Xbox One X deliver 60fps gameplay? In the initial stages of the beta, Bungie allowed third party monitor overlays to operate (they were disabled on Wednesday, annoyingly) and we could get an idea of what causes higher CPU loads. Crucible PvP barely troubled our Pentium at all at around 50 to 60 per cent utilisation, while all other gameplay essentially saw load rise in line with the amount of entities in play at any given point. That stands to reason - some of the CPU's primary jobs include processing AI, physics and calculate animation. The more characters on-screen at any given point, the harder that job gets.

If we assume that PS4's 1.6GHz CPU can handle 30fps with some overhead to spare, logic suggests that you'd be requiring more than a 31 per cent increase in processing power to run everything at 2x speed, which rules out PS4 Pro. Xbox One X hands in a 44 per cent increase in CPU power, but again, this still doesn't seem like anywhere near enough brute force to get the job done. In terms of our PC testing, our only regret is that we didn't have an AMD Jaguar-based CPU available for testing. Although designed for mobile applications, quad-core Jaguars did appear in AMD's Kabini-based line-up - and overclocking the Athlon X4 5350 or rarer 5370 might have offered up some interesting insights.
More at the link.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom