• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabblo IV Previews are Up

AJUMP23

UHiZV.gif
I will allow it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't get why this game, aesthetically, looks so fucking bad?

I mean, D4 looks so grey and boring. D3 looked too colorful. D2 really was the perfect combination of colors and greyness...

Shubh_C63

Never lost faith. even the shitted on Diablo Immortal was actually good gameplay wise for dumb mobile play.

Need this!! Been on media blackout , glanced at the video for 5 seconds and seen:

- Dark Atmosphere
- A poe like skill tree
- Awesome looking character section and characters reminiscent of diablo 2
- Awesome looking diabolic and undead enemies.

When is the damn release date?????

wait no couch coop?
i don't care i want diablo 4
and will buy 4 copies anyway
What? Really , booo That sucks. I will play solo, like I did d1 and d2, but why do these devs keep leaving out couch co-op.

WE had more couch co-op 2 decades ago then today. I don't want to play online, I want to play the game with my wife or people over, like i can in D3 and borderlands.

SLB1904

Banned
Well eurogamer doesn't sound good with lag and always online

Wasn't one of the big problems of diablo 3 always online?

Saber

Gold Member
What I really want to know if this doesn't come with cancer things like microtransactions or lootboxes. Also, I'm still not a fan of aways online.

Last edited:

splattered

Focus on single player? Well i hope it has good online/local co-op regardless... my wife and i played a crazy amount of hours together in D3, hoping for the same here.

Xyphie

Wasn't one of the big problems of diablo 3 always online?

If anything the lack of an always online mode was absolutely detrimental to the console versions of the game. Something they are luckily fixing this time around (i.e. it's always online with crossplay).

Last edited:

DragonNCM

As long as they don't try to pull any auction house or other BS monetization crap again, I'm interested.
Be sure there will be monetization crap....maybe not like a Diablo: Immortal but at different form, after all it is ActivisionBlizzard game the father of lootboxes.....

SLB1904

Banned
If anything the lack of an always online mode was absolutely detrimental to the console versions of the game. Something they are luckily fixing this time around (i.e. it's always online with crossplay).
Personally always online won't be a problem. Just the damn lag. Regardless I really like the look of this one. I hated 3 with cartoony look and hiw easy it was.

Kacho

Focus on single player? Well i hope it has good online/local co-op regardless... my wife and i played a crazy amount of hours together in D3, hoping for the same here.
I wouldn't buy into the single player focus nonsense. This is an always online MMO lite. You experience the single player story stuff once and then it becomes something you blow past to get to the end game so you can grind with others for better gear.

Last edited:

Thabass

Combat is now challenging since the start of the game (Prepare to die a lot if you are unprepared)
Thank you fuck. I played the whole OG game thinking it was going to get harder. I played the whole what felt like easy mode and I stopped after finishing the base game. Glad to see it's just hard to start.

Kacho

What about microtransactions?
They don't want to focus on that before launch. Right now they're asking the press to focus on specific talking points to distract from the fact that the game is an MMO lite with MTX. Especially after the blowback they got with Overwatch 2.

A “live” future?​

The developers also stressed how Diablo IV's embrace of the “live service” model and its focus on post-launch content creates more incentives for players to explore the other classes beyond their favorite ones. In light of the issues Blizzard’s Overwatch 2 has faced since launch, however, I have concerns about Diablo IV’s vision for a battle pass and other post-launch content. Unfortunately, the Blizzard devs wouldn't expand much on this point, but hopefully lessons learned from Overwatch 2’s rough launch will ensure that Diablo IV gets off to a better start.
I came away from this preview impressed and optimistic about Diablo IV’s vision for a more open-ended and darker fantasy RPG world. The moment-to-moment hack-and-slack gameplay that put Diablo on the map is still strong here, and the new map structure and character class tweaks keep things feeling fresh. While we’ll have to see how the “live service” design of the game plays out, Diablo IV’s more open world is already off to a solid start, and I can’t wait to see more of what the game will offer.

Ristifer

"Unfortunately, the Blizzard devs wouldn't expand much on this point..."

Classic modern gaming approach.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They don't want to focus on that before launch. Right now they're asking the press to focus on specific talking points to distract from the fact that the game is an MMO lite with MTX. Especially after the blowback they got with Overwatch 2.

They had an entire blog about their battle pass/MTX a few months ago.

It's hardly a secret.

The game will have cosmetics only MTX.

People are welcome to freak out about it but I find it rather pointless. Extra transmogs are hardly worth getting upset over, for me, personally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
??? When’s the last time you played D2? It had no color. At all. Lol
wat the fuck

i played around 1500 hours of d2:r in 2021 and i've played around 15k hours of d2 throughout these 20 years

when was the last time you played d2?

Last edited:
I like the ability to turn off the story and just kill things. No need to skip cut scenes before a battle.
I hope they still have the ferrets that run around collecting gold for you.

sendit

Hoping they port this to mobile devices. Would love to play a full Diablo experience on the go.

sendit

Same, and not just controller support, i want to know if it play like the console version of diablo 3 with real time roll evade and shit.

I don't wanna fucking pay 80 euros for the console version but i fear 2 completely different game versions...
Looks like evade/dodge mechanics will fundamentally built in to the gameplay:

"Diablo 4 provides more options in the battle against demonic forces. Though enemies may surround you, you now have a new tool at your disposal with the evade mechanic. Evade acts as an evolution to Diablo 3’s dodge roll. The maneuver (on a short cooldown) allows all players, regardless of the selected class, to dash a short distance in any direction to dodge enemies during battle. It can make you feel unstoppable when used perfectly in tandem with the classic Diablo hack n’ slash combat. And if you want to become more nimble in battle, then you can buff it with items like special boots that add a speed boost after it’s performed."

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Diablo 3 had challenging combat too, they scrapped it instead of fixing balance issues and now you have to grind all the up to high GRs before the game becomes remotely challenging. Hopefully the difficulty is more thought out this time. With as little interest I have in this game, my wife and I have spent a ton of time with couch coop and I expect this will be worth it at least for that. Low expectations never hurt when something ends up being great anyways.

Last edited:

Boneless

I have a bit of hope, but knowing the new Blizzard, we will still see a shop with skins and xp speed ups. If that's the case I'm outtie.

gothmog

Gold Member
The game looks great, but I really have to play it in order to know if it is a keeper. Fingers crossed because I'm frankly sick of going back to D2 but at the same time D2R basically killed my desire to ever play D3 again.

Top Bottom