• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freki

Why did Diablo 2 allow for multiplayer accounts in 2000? And save files for all 10 chars full of items hardly took 5mb back then and thats uncompressed.

but they deleted your stuff after 90 days of inactivity if I remember correctly.

My personal guess its not about storage but as you pointed out - processing and bandwith

Cru Jones

It's more about managing the number of calls to a database than it is about storage size. They are effectively lowering the number of accesses to their database by 40% with this change.

DB administration can be tricky and I am sure you would much rather have three tabs of storage than be shown a buffering symbol for 3 seconds as your storage items slowly populate into the GUI.

KKRT00

but they deleted your stuff after 90 days of inactivity if I remember correctly.

My personal guess its not about storage but as you pointed out - processing and bandwith

But You dont need to process chars You dont use, You have other save file for Wizard and other Witch Doctor for example. And syncing items is just downloading them to memory at first and then checking sum from time to time to avoid modifications on client side.

BTW i've started Diablo 3 and checked how many data it transferred to me.

For recall to town and this many items
http://i.imgur.com/kPVsP.jpg

i got 122kb of data ...
http://i.imgur.com/5tjjn.jpg

And thats with login into the game, moving, syncing etc.

It's more about managing the number of calls to a database than it is about storage size. They are effectively lowering the number of accesses to their database by 40% with this change.

DB administration can be tricky and I am sure you would much rather have three tabs of storage than be shown a buffering symbol for 3 seconds as your storage items slowly populate into the GUI.
Its not like they couldnt stream it in background when You enter town? Those all items land in Your local memory after all and they dont search db for stash when You are in dungeons.
They could make also non shared stash like they wanted at the beginning and store some items in char save file.

Freki

Its not like they couldnt stream it in background when You enter town? Those all items land in Your local memory after all and they dont search db for stash when You are in dungeons.
They could make also non shared stash like they wanted at the beginning and store some items in char save file.

On the front end side you would be correct - but on the back end there would still be a higher demand for processing capabilities.

I doubt this is a business decision as in they want to sell you that space later on for real money - I think it's about cutting costs on the back end side of things...

Negaiido

Who sends all these beta invites lately? I'm signed up for beta events but ye chances are small.
Is it that US players have a higher chance into getting an invite over EU players?

gatisimo

Thank you again to the kind samaritan who flagged my account! I finally got in today! Now the ten hour wait to get home begins.

coopolon

I logged into Bnet last week to get my WC3 serial and realized I was in the beta. They should really send out emails, I have no idea how long I have been in it for (haven't logged into bnet since the beta started and I signed up). Couldn't download until today because of bandwidth cap though.

Staab

This is depressing, every time I check, every time they offer me their crappy annual pass but no sign of beta!
NoooooooooOooo :(

NG28

This is depressing, every time I check, every time they offer me their crappy annual pass but no sign of beta!
NoooooooooOooo :(

I know what you mean. At first I didn't mind much because I thought it was really close to release, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

ACE 1991

I logged into Bnet last week to get my WC3 serial and realized I was in the beta. They should really send out emails, I have no idea how long I have been in it for (haven't logged into bnet since the beta started and I signed up). Couldn't download until today because of bandwidth cap though.

Same thing happened to me, it's been months since I've checked my account. I feel a little guilty!

I really hope you newly flagged guys enjoy it - hopefully I'll get lucky soon, but if not - going blind into the retail version has it's perks I suppose :)

GABDEG

I just got excited because my mind interpreted this thing
BEwC7.png
as "Hey you might be in the beta!" :(

lordy88

After five months of religiously checking my battle.net account in the morning, I FINALLY Get in.

Oh man. I love working at home!

red731

I'm Stonewater #1762 if anyone wants to do Co-op!

Youngling#1523 right up there smashing the hell outta mobs.
Need to up my chars to lvl 13..after xx times.

Hell, I promise when the full game is out, I will just fly through beta part as fast as possible.

Fonds

I was flagged a few weeks ago by the samaritan.

The beta hasn't been activated on my battle.net account yet though. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm in the EU if that might matter..

Yazus

I was flagged a few weeks ago by the samaritan.

The beta hasn't been activated on my battle.net account yet though. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm in the EU if that might matter..

Me too.. Flagged 2 weeks ago and yet on
my profile no beta.. Anyone has the answer?
My heart is imploding because of this.
I NEED the beta. :(

FinKL

Just checked, and got super excited that when I logged onto Battle.net it gave me a new ToS to agree upon. After that, I checked accounts and saw I'm in the D3 Beta!!! Thank you!

Dammit. You guys got me all excited. I logged in and had the new terms to read through, but when I got to my account there was no beta :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom