• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

I burned off 300k gold crafting random stuff since there was nothing else to do with it, and there was no sense in letting the beta end without using it.

Orca

Can't get the game to preload. It just fails with a 'tracker failed to respond' error and then loses connection completely. Doesn't matter if I disable peer-to-peer or not.

TheYanger

Can't get the game to preload. It just fails with a 'tracker failed to respond' error and then loses connection completely. Doesn't matter if I disable peer-to-peer or not.

I got that once when I'd run it twice on accident and there was a lingering launcher process in my task manager. killing it worked.

LordCanti

That seems to be a pretty common error. The preload worked for me using Burger's links.

I didn't know that it was P2P though. Checked my upload data and sure enough; over 2gb. Glad I'm not in a country that bills by usage.

LordCanti

I hope an unverified account is good enough to take in paypal payments from the RMAH and then spend that money elsewhere. Paypal doesn't like that my bank account is tied to a Paypal account they put in one of those awful "give us every piece of private information you have or your account remains locked" states.

I'll probably get a couple bucks in there before they try to pull the same stunt with this account.

DarkKyo

Anyone know what the deal is with this on amazon? Has anyone been able to get release date free delivery or is it not offered for this title?

Paypal doesn't like that my bank account is tied to a Paypal account they put in one of those awful "give us every piece of private information you have or your account remains locked" states.

I'll probably get a couple bucks in there before they try to pull the same stunt with this account.

I've had my Paypal account tied to a bank account that I closed about 5 years ago. I have thought about adding another one, but haven't ever needed to. Apparently they have not caught on to this fact yet, but I'm waiting for it to happen.

I'm thinking if I do any RMAH I'll just keep the money in bnet. Unless it ends up being some kind of meaningful sum... Sort of sucks that they apparently don't let you pay WoW subscription fees with it though.

I've had my Paypal account tied to a bank account that I closed about 5 years ago. I have thought about adding another one, but haven't ever needed to. Apparently they have not caught on to this fact yet, but I'm waiting for it to happen.

I'm thinking if I do any RMAH I'll just keep the money in bnet. Unless it ends up being some kind of meaningful sum... Sort of sucks that they apparently don't let you pay WoW subscription fees with it though.

really? I thought one of the benefits of the whole "Battle.net balance" thing was being able to do this very thing.

FinKL

Any recommendations on a decent gaming mouse for Diablo? Nothing too expensive ($50 or less).

I played through the public beta on my notebook using a touchpad but I know full well this isn't going to be optimal control for the game itself upon its release.

Also in the same boat. Luckily, there was a thread about this earlier with lots of people weighing in.

I'm personally waiting for a Steelseries Sensei RAW because I love the old style Microsoft Intellimouse. For some reason, no other company can copy it and improve upon it. I'm still wary of steelseries as some people have mention their software is buggy, butI figure it they remove the processor/LCD screen there shouldn't be that much more room to mess up their mouse.

If you can't wait, Frys has the G500 for $40 after rebate in store in which lots of people in the thread I linked have praised

OR if you want a cheap Chinese disposable mouse, MCSaite USB Mouse - Like a Logitech G400 for $8.00 or Razer Deathadder knockoff for $13.00

Truant

Any news on gamepad support? I know they said way back in September that they had it working, but not ready for launch. It's been almost a year, so maybe they've polished it up.

I know, right? Here's a link to their FAQ on the subject. Note that WoW game time is absent from the list of stuff you can buy.

Yeah I was just checking that. Quite unfortunate really - they implied before that you could buy WoW game time with the Battle.net balance. You could still pay for it via cashing out, but you're taking quite a hit to do so.

zlatko

Banned
Any news on gamepad support? I know they said way back in September that they had it working, but not ready for launch. It's been almost a year, so maybe they've polished it up.

I'd be surprised if it's in honestly. I have a feeling it won't be until the the console version is getting put together and then it gets patched in.

kyubajin

Could anyone from mainland Europe that has used Amazon UK Prime enlighten me?

I live in Spain and have the CE pre-ordered since March. Since Amazon UK does not offer release day delivery, will I sorta get it if I try the free month of Amazon Prime? There's an option that says I can get anything home the next day from purchase for £4.99 or something, I'd be willing to pay that for the CE :D

I'm hoping the policy changes, or that's an oversight. I suppose you could bank enough to hopefully pay for MoP, or HoS, if that's allowed.

I would think there would be large appeal for more "casual" RMAH sellers to sell, say, $5 worth of stuff in a month and put it towards a WoW sub, but maybe they have decided that's not in their best interest right now, figuring it's lost revenue one way or the other. Personally I sort of detest paypal, so I'm not interested in cashing out at all and would rather keep it in gold. I also really doubt I am going to want a WoW sub after D3 is out, which is why I passed on the annual pass, but if I could get one at a discount, I'd likely boot it up again at some point.

I expect we are going to see the policies change somewhat in the months following release as they kind of figure things out. At least I hope so. It's a new business model for them, so a bit of experimentation is warranted, I'd say.

foladar

Sort of sucks that they apparently don't let you pay WoW subscription fees with it though.
It's probably so they can hit you with double fees, since you can cash out to paypal and then pay your WoW time with paypal, you're taking a second 15% cash out fee in that scenario, so it benefits them.

Can I use my Battle.net Balance as the automatic payment method for my recurring World of Warcraft subscription?
No, recurring subscription payment options for World of Warcraft will continue to be offered via PayPal directly, PhoneBill, or credit card. Non-recurring subscriptions can be added using retail game time cards or purchasing game time from the Blizzard store with a credit card.

inky

It's probably so they can hit you with double fees, since you can cash out to paypal and then pay your WoW time with paypal, you're taking a second 15% cash out fee in that scenario, so it benefits them.

Pretty clever (and fucked up) of them. I'm guessing this is what most people would be using the money for.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

They said they're working on it for the PC version? I really doubt it'll get patched in. When discussing the possibility of a console version at Blizzcon, they made a big deal about tailoring the game so it can be as good as possible for a console experience. To me that translates to changes to the UI and maybe difficulty balance adjustments to accommodate the different controls, stuff like that. It'd be impressive if all you had to do was plug in the 360 controller and suddenly the game had all the changes of the console version.

Realyn

Could anyone from mainland Europe that has used Amazon UK Prime enlighten me?

I live in Spain and have the CE pre-ordered since March. Since Amazon UK does not offer release day delivery, will I sorta get it if I try the free month of Amazon Prime? There's an option that says I can get anything home the next day from purchase for £4.99 or something, I'd be willing to pay that for the CE :D

I'm living in Germany and whenever I order vom .co.uk I get my stuff from german warhouses. But I don't know how it is in Spain and how "good" your return policy, infrastructure and so on is.

I allready asked this yesterday. What do you guys think of Inferno? They are marketing it like crazy and to be honest ... I don't think Blizz would ever lie THAT much.

maharg

idspispopd

While I'm sure they don't exactly mind that, I doubt it's quite so malicious as all that. It's more likely a deliberate attempt to discourage people from using a one-time-cost game (Diablo3) to farm their way to free ongoing monthly-fee WoW. Because then they'd essentially be paying themselves for you to play.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow with guild wars 2 this totally flew under my radar. Definitely keep me busy until GW2 is back up.

Has the lag from the beta gotten any better? I was experiencing quite a delay even in single player games.

Wow with guild wars 2 this totally flew under my radar. Definitely keep me busy until GW2 is back up.

Has the lag from the beta gotten any better? I was experiencing quite a delay even in single player games.

During my month of the beta, I only experienced really bad lag once. Other than that I hovered around latency of 70-140ms.

While I'm sure they don't exactly mind that, I doubt it's quite so malicious as all that. It's more likely a deliberate attempt to discourage people from using a one-time-cost game (Diablo3) to farm their way to free ongoing monthly-fee WoW. Because then they'd essentially be paying themselves for you to play.

I think you're right, but I also expect we'll see some experimentation with it. In general, I suppose it's hard to tell which would drive more overall sales volume on the RMAH. Since the whole economy is player created, how much supply do you want? Do you want to encourage people to post as many auctions as possible? Given that you make fees on each transaction, I would think so. The fact that one fee structure is a flat per auction, and the other percentage based really makes it hard to tell though... For gear, a bunch of low cost sales would be way more profit than only a few big ones. For "commodities" it's only total sales volume that matters.

Overall, I don't see how not allowing people to pay for WoW with RMAH is win for them, since that would be a huge reason to participate in RMTs, but I'm sure they have numbers that say otherwise (granted, those numbers must be wildly speculative at this point).

Like some of their other game systems, they're probably erring on the side of caution for now (possible exploit! WoW loses sub money!) but may open it up in the future.

I'd prefer it if they did, but I feel like most of any money I make would just be funneled back into D3 to get items.

At end of beta May 1.
CKM50.jpg
Someone help me out with this one. What's a "flair"?
So confusing...!

forrest

formerly nacire

It was non existant today.

Just joking, the beta has officially ended. I hadn't experienced any moments of extreme lag for many months.

LordCanti

It should be possible to make enough to pay for WoW during the course of a month. Whether or not you'd also have any time to play WoW is another thing...

At end of beta May 1.

Someone help me out with this one. What's a "flair"?
So confusing...!

Flair is a reddit feature, where in a given subreddit you can put a piece of "flair" next to your posts (think tag + avatar from GAF). r/diablo has predefined flair for each of the classes, that you can pick from.

Presumably people are choosing their flair based on their favorite class and they are making a graph of that.

Jackl

I don't think so, it'd be more along the lines of someone else paying you to play via RMAH. They supply the money, you supply the pixels, and blizzard supplies the means to do so.

They still get their money, just indirectly.

You do make me think about the story though. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also torn.
Take Skyrim for example. I could not have sunk 250hours into that game if I weren't playing solo, as I like to explore and read and experience the story. Having 3 other people along for the ride will be bags of fun, but will be a hassle to slow down and enjoy the story.

But then again, it depends on how Blizzard designed it. There may be a lot more 'on the run' story (like the lore) and ingame cutscenes like (beta spoiler)
Leoric's ghostly death
) so it may be a moot point.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think so, it'd be more along the lines of someone else paying you to play via RMAH. They supply the money, you supply the pixels, and blizzard supplies the means to do so.

They still get their money, just indirectly.

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom