• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did America win the world by dropping the Atomic Bomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tschumi

Watch out for these posters and their single digit years they lived in China. The higher number of years you've lived in China the more right you are. Calling all 6 years in China people to disagree with him, who will be correct because of +1.
and your point is?

Amiga

Dude by this logic, 'Let's stay together' by Al Green and 'One Love' by Bob Marley are marxist propaganda because they oppose individualism.
Not every song is an ideological or political statement.

not judging the guy. just giving an example that ideas of the eastern bloc were popular with some in the west and that cultural "soft power" wasn't a deciding factor in the cold war.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dropping the bomb was the end of the war and was about defeating Japan and sending troops to finish off Germany.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I wouldn't say we "won the world". I think a more accurate way of putting is that we shocked and horrified the world into a deep stalemate. The threat of mutually assured nuclear annihilation is a hell of bargaining chip when it comes to any disruption of the greater world peace.

Its why there hasn't been another world war. When everyone has nukes superpowers can't fight on battlefields anymore. So now the wars are fought in the shadows in small countries nobody has ever heard of and in the financial markets.

Amiga

I wouldn't say we "won the world". I think a more accurate way of putting is that we shocked and horrified the world into a deep stalemate. The threat of mutually assured nuclear annihilation is a hell of bargaining chip when it comes to any disruption of the greater world peace.

others didn't have it at the time. and means of delivery weren't advanced enough to threaten the depth of the USSR or the US. the fear started with the advancement in cross-continent rockets and the increase of destructive power per load.

Ammogeddon

I consider the dropping of the bombs some the most significant crimes against humanity in history. They may not have had the same overall body count as other atrocities but the significance of humankind being capable of harnessing such power only to weaponise and use it against innocent people simply shocking.

Last edited:
It was not necessary at all, Japan was beaten, USSR was moving all tank divisions to the Eastern front ready to steamroll the Japanese.
The fuck did you guys study at school?
Japan was already preparing for a land invasion. Do you seriously think they were going to surrender when their home country was about to be invaded after all of the reports of suicide bombers and a general lack of POWs due to suicide? One way or another Japan was not going to surrender so easily. Other than invasion, the only other option was to naval blockade them into starvation. This plan was already brought up for consideration but the atomic bomb was chosen in favor to end the war swiftly. Hundreds of thousands were going to die regardless.

Pol Pot

Banned
The bombs were a message to Stalin and the rest of the world. That's it.
Seems to have backfired, in hindsight

like there needed to be more of it during that war. one of the parts of the war i have the hardest time thinking about (on top of all the other horrors that happened) is the Eastern front, and what happened there. thank God it wasn't as documented by the media at the time as other parts of the war were. truly hell on Earth.
Japan's conquest of East Asia would have been enough to make Hitler blush. Their war crimes are just as disgusting and shocking imo. Sometimes it bothers me how little people talk about it when they think of WW2.

There is an assumption inherent in the question that nuclear bombs actually exist. I don't think there is sufficient evidence, I think it's a scam. I'm pretty sure if nuclear weapons actually existed one country would have nuked another off the face of the earth by now. Also why are major powers so free to cause mischief with each other and do things that risk war if it might result in a nuclear war? I think it was theatrics. That's not to say that people weren't killed in a large explosion in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I just don't think any nuclear weapons exist or were involved. I think the major powers don't fear war with each other as much as they should because they all know they are full of it about having huge amounts of nuclear weapons. I've heard that a lot of generals have advised previous presidents that we should have pre-emptively struck Russia with nuclear weapons. Maybe the only reason we never did is because none ever existed in the first place.
tenor.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Here is a good stat for you to justify the use of atomic weapons. In the last year of the war in the Asia Pacific theater, Japanese troops were responsible for 250,000 non combatant (civilian) deaths a month. This stat is brought up very early in the latest installment of Dan Carlan's Hardcore History. If you are causing the death of that many people per month and they are not even at the mainland yet it would only get worse. Using atomic weapons saved civilian lives too. 140,000 died in Hiroshima, and 74,000 in Nagasaki. And it is tragic that so many died from a single bomb, but still less than what the Japanese were killing per month.

tsumake

The bombs were a message to Stalin and the rest of the world. That's it.
Seems to have backfired, in hindsight

War. War never changes.

It was mainly that WW2 destroyed the old world powers (France, UK, Germany, Hungary-Austria, Russia, Italy, Japan)

It left a power and economic Vacuum that gave the American economy a huge advantage over similar countries.

Do you think Iran would win the world if they dropped a nuke? Your analysis is too simplistic.

You know what happened right after that was a lot more significant. Created the United Nations. Engaged in diplomacy across the world. Helped nations rebuild. Innovated economically for decades. Promoted cultural values and entertainment that were valued across the world.

In short:

Animated GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The US was already well on its way to becoming the preeminent military and economic influence on the world. The dropping of the bomb just made them (us) have to place a major focus on domination with the looming threat of an expanding Soviet Union with its insane leader. We played our cards, then we had to stay on top and prevent the world falling to communism.

Did we "win" the world? I don't know, the Nordic nations look pretty fucking awesome and chill in comparison despite what we do.

V4skunk

Banned
Dropping the bomb was the end of the war and was about defeating Japan and sending troops to finish off Germany.
At least get history correct mate, Germany were defeated before the Japs. And the Russians smoked the nazis on the Eastern front and British took the brunt against SS in the Battle for Caen on the western front.

spawn

America won world war 2 because we were the only country in the conflict that was not invaded so economically we were in the best position to become the superpower. Japan and Europe were destroyed and left in ruins. As for the atomic bomb I think any country that considers going to war with US will think twice considering that with 1 button they could be wiped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom