• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Shinichi Shimomura (2nd Kirby Director)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Shinichi Shimomura is one of the biggest enigmas in Nintendo history as far as I'm concerned, he was heavily involved with Kirby early on as the map designer of Adventure and Super Star as well as serving as the director of Dream Land 2, 3, 64, and Nightmare in Dreamland (sharing the director spot with Sakurai, though I've heard this is because Sakurai was working on the anime and about to cut ties with HAL) before disappearing off the face in the earth in 2003. Whatever happened to him?

I've heard he died, which might explain why they "retired" most of his Dream Land characters until only recently where they're getting more and more cameos. Others say he works for a company called PARK DESIGN, but this seems to be a different Shinichi Shimomura based on when he was born and not mentioning any affiliation with HAL on his company's site. Unless there's some bizarre conspiracy theory going on, it's not him.

And I've yet to find a picture of him online either, googling him always turns up another Nintendo employee (it's like how googling Satoshi Tajiri never gets you him) so this dude must be some kind of man-of-mystery. Someone must have a picture or obscure interview with him, correct?

Oersted

Shouldn't have eaten Kirby's cake

#KirbyDoesNotForget #KirbyDoesNotForgive

In all seriousness, this is interesting. Journalist Gaf, go ask them.

Top Bottom