• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Apple lose the hex code for Space Gray?

FmnTwOM.jpg

Why is this happening?

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave right now.

Pointed out by Chris Pirillo

Vyer

The iPhone 7 was not offered in ‘space gray’.

The watch is upside down.

The other ones are all seem relatively similar to me.

That image is dumb

Edit: is that an 8? Then yeah that picture is even dumber.

sangreal

The iPhone 7 was not offered in ‘space gray’.

The watch is upside down.

The other ones are all seem relatively similar to me.

That image is dumb

There are no iPhone 7s in the image and the watch is not any lighter on the other sides

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
My iphone 6 and macbook pro touch are the same color but the 6 is more.. reflective? It basically changes more drastically depending on the angle. I assume they probably used a different painting process rather than a different color

Tobor

I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave” used correctly. Not even once.

giga

Not exactly the best example. There are different shades of blue whereas Space Grey denotes a more specific colour. Either way, this is semantics.
What’s to say that Apple doesn’t think there can be different shades of space gray? This is so inconsequential.

Fhtagn

There are no iPhone 7s in the image and the watch is not any lighter on the other sides

That's a "matte black" iPhone 7+ with the dual camera. Not Space Gray.

The Space Gray watch is pretty dark, yes. The Space Black watch is much darker.

Daedardus

What's to say that Apple doesn't think there can be different shades of space gray? This is so inconsequential.

I thought the point of the image was to show that although the left devices can all be called grey, the iPhone on the right doesn't look grey at all.

That's a "matte black" iPhone 7+ with the dual camera. Not Space Gray.

The Space Gray watch is pretty dark, yes. The Space Black watch is much darker.

Isn't made out of glass? Pretty sure that's an iPhone 8.

Fhtagn

Isn't made out of glass? Pretty sure that's an iPhone 8.

oh, ha, looks like you're right! at that angle and reflectivity, it looks hella similar to my iPhone 7+. I also didn't realize the 8 was being called "Space Grey"

FWIW, I do think it's a bit silly that Apple keeps using Space Grey to mean something like 5 different colors now.

jaypah

If they were all the same some would say it's "Apple showing product cohesion and attention to detail". Since they appear to be different some say Steve is rolling in his grave. Personally I'm just like, yeah, they're all grey or whatever.

Dinskugga

My iPad Air (Space Grey) and my iPhone 5S (Space Grey) are the same. But my iPhone 6S (Space grey) doesnt look like the other two at all in colour

kiguel182

From every Steve Jobs story out there this does seem something he would be bothered about.

Of course we can never know now.

giga

From every Steve Jobs story out there this does seem something he would be bothered about.

Of course we can never know now.

Think he'd be more pissed with the antenna bands. At least space gray actually looks like "space gray" now.

OLpwm5i.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave” used correctly. Not even once.

Shit. Some of those posters should be ashamed of their lack of attention to detail. Steve Jobs would never have let this happen - he must be rolling in his grave right now

The original space grey was just a way to use silver as a base after the black iphone 5's chipped to hell and back, I had one and those were prone to chipping because it was a coating.

The new space grey is how I would imagine it should look, old space grey was just silver with a wrong name.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they’re using it more to describe the sides (eg X Silver looks white but with a silver edge, space grey looks black with a grey edge) then maybe they should look again at naming options. Or at least provide more information on the colour of the backs

Tobor

Shit. Some of those posters should be ashamed of their lack of attention to detail. Steve Jobs would never have let this happen - he must be rolling in his grave right now

You know what would make Steve roll in his grave? Making him watch a Samsung press congerence.

neptunes

I paid a cool (huehuehue) $75 for 12 sets of cool grey markers, another $75 for warm greys, and $75 for neutral greys.

Worth it

I work in print, and I only have formulas to recreate inks up to Cool Grey 11 Solid Coated, then there are uncoated inks.

There are also Warm Grey inks...

Weckum

Literally the tan suit equivalent of bitching about Apple.

It is and it isn't. It's a tiny thing, but for a company that is always seen as the gold standard of tech design, it's a pretty big thing.

(this is in no way worse than the butt ugly new control center)

Top Bottom