• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Dan Houserrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kill Michael Pachter's dog?

What else could explain Pachter's apparent hatred of Take-Two?

From a Hollywood Reporter article:
More immediate problems with Take-Two are that its "Manhunt 2" release recently was "temporarily suspended" after the game received an Adults Only rating, and its "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" has been getting dreadful reviews.

"They only had two products this quarter, and both are a disaster," Pachter said.

If "Manhunt 2" were to be released with an AO rating, that would keep it off of the PlayStation 2 and Wii platforms, and off the shelves of many large retailers. Plus, Pachter argues, the "Manhunt 2" and "Silver Surfer" situations reflect a problem that Take-Two's new management might have with its creative talent.

Someone needs to let the children know you can't make adult-only games; instead, management defends their developers as 'artists.' But stockholders are investing in a company, not a piece of art," Pachter said. "What's the point of making an AO game? Just to prove you can? It would be like the next 'Die Hard' movie getting an X rating. Someone at Fox would get fired."

Only two products? Really Pachter? Uh . . . what about the The Bigs . . . it is only out on five platforms.

Or how about The Darkness . . . you see it there at the top of the sales charts?

Children? Did you just call the Rockstar developers children? You are an analyst that covers TTWO and you don't even know half their products this quarter and you are calling the Rockstar developers children?

Edit: Ack . . . Dan Houser . . . my 'r' key is sticking.

I won't be giving two shits about what Pachter says when I'm playing GTAIV. Hell, I don't give two shits about what he says right now.

Mrbob

Don't forget APF2K8 is about two weeks from being released.

Pachter has TTWO pegged as the GTA COMPANY, and it seems like he is waiting for that bubble to burst.

dralla said:
no, Chris Benoit did.

too soon?
more than a little, yeah.

Pachter more or less said he just craves the attention anyway so that's probably half of it.

edit: should I be this amused by the thread title change? :lol

Madman

From what I have heard, TT thought it would be Mature. Pretty ignorant thing to say, neglecting TT's status and his other comments.

Tiktaalik

speculawyer said:
Only two products? Really Pachter? Uh . . . what about the The Bigs . . . it is only out on five platforms.

Or how about The Darkness . . . you see it there at the top of the sales charts?

That's a really good point. That's some damn selective memory Pachter has there.

AO, Adults only, in the real world they're many adults that play games. In the real world you see more traumatizing shit on the news. Just release the damn game as AO and M.

soco

pachter is probably reading this thread, playing with his fingers, and laughing a lot like Mr. Burns.

tanod

when is my burrito
I see your "not 2 shits" and I raise you to "not 3 shits." Pachter's got some interesting things to say but like he said on the Gamasutra podcast: you might not agree with what he says but that can be valuable to his clients as well. He's just one guy. Are you gunning for his job or something?!

Who's Dan House, BTW?

It's funny because a lot of people are complaining about Live Free or Die Hard being really dumbed down to get its PG-13 rating.

tanod said:
but like he said on the Gamasutra podcast: you might not agree with what he says but that can be valuable to his clients as well.

Reality doesn't agree with what he says . . . but that may be good for his clients. I think he is publically bad-mouthing TTWO to push the price down while privately advising clients to buy TTWO.

tanod said:
Who's Dan House, BTW?

Dan Houser, head of Rockstar games.

tanod said:
I see your "not 2 shits" and I raise you to "not 3 shits." Pachter's got some interesting things to say but like he said on the Gamasutra podcast: you might not agree with what he says but that can be valuable to his clients as well. He's just one guy. Are you gunning for his job or something?!

Who's Dan House, BTW?
it's not valuable if it's wrong. I think I remember something about giving known bad information to others for their investment purposes from my accounting classes...something about how it's illegal.

tanod

when is my burrito
speculawyer said:
Reality doesn't agree with what he says . . . but that may be good for his clients. I think he is publically bad-mouthing TTWO to push the price down while privately advising clients to buy TTWO.

It's true that he's wrong and it was a dumb thing to say.

When he makes statements to the press, it's not in any official capacity, though. If he put it in a couple hundred page report that he "sells" to his clients, then that would be illegal.

EDIT: Wait, were those titles released when Mr. Pachter made his quote. The Darkness came out this week but when did the Bigs come out? I'm guessing it's a mixup in words, and should have been "released this quarter so far."

tanod said:
EDIT: Wait, were those titles released when Mr. Pachter made his quote. The Darkness came out this week but when did the Bigs come out? I'm guessing it's a mixup in words, and should have been "released this quarter so far."

The Hollywood Reporter article is dated the 28th and TTWO has a press release on the 26th about the release of The Bigs.

I am already giving him the benefit of the doubt about not knowing TTWO's fiscal quarter ends at the end of July . . . technically, there were supposed to be at least 6 products out this quarter: Fantastic Four, The Bigs, The Darkness, Manhunt 2, All Pro Football 2K8, Civilization:Beyond The Sword.

But even if he thought the quarter ended at the end of June, there would have been those first four products.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, for example, says that Take-Two shares are overvalued because of persistent speculation of a takeover that he thinks isn't going to happen.
they identified him as working for Wedbush Morgan Securities so he isn't in "unofficial" capacity.
"They only had two products this quarter, and both are a disaster," Pachter said.
I don't think they (the website) broke his quote up but even if they did it would imply them trying to make him look bad.

tanod

when is my burrito
bune duggy said:
I don't think they (the website) broke his quote up but even if they did it would imply them trying to make him look bad.

I didn't say they misquoted him. I said he may have mis-spoke/mixed up his words. Honestly though, I don't really care. I'm not defending him either. I'm just trying to guess why he made the mistake in the first place. You guys seem to have a hard on for this guy.

Did you take some of his comments about GAF a little TOO personally?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I said it before, I'm sure Pachter is one someone's payroll who wants TTWO's stock to go down for their (future?) profit. He is batshit ridiculous in his assertions, while he continued to back EA constantly yet they are the ones whose stock has been doing quite poorly.

As soo as TTWO started to go up after falling to $9US, he started going crazy. Someone probably missed their chance and isn't happy.

Anyway, Pachter is a joke.

EDIT: Add Bioshock to the game list.

fernoca

Oh come on Specu..
You admitted owning stock from Take-Two...:D

"Analysts" like Pachter says idiotic things every day and worse..heck they get paid to say stuff like that.. :lol

You should know better by now...no need to get so personal, even when your stock is in danger.. :lol

I'm Quaid, not Hauser!!!

6gv21de.jpg

See you at the part Richter!!!

(Not for the squeamish).

YTMND (for those without Youtube accounts).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW if Pachter knew his stuff he could have seen THAT coming:

53h78z7.jpg

Cause even I saw it coming when EA bought 20% of Ubisoft. I was 100% certain it would at least double over a year. It did. But no, he keeps saying

"Buy EA stocks! OMG EA! Errr that fall is nothing, you misunderstood me or misquoted me. It will go up! Pansies. Oh and PS3=Awesome, major future seller."

Months later:

"Buy EA stocks! Long term investment, do it! PS3 rules too!"

Months later:

"Ermm. Oh Ubisoft looks interesting, they are uh I guess misunderstood! Yeah that's it, that's a nice way of saying I know jack and just realize by looking up some random video game quotes that they trippled in just over two years. Oh yeah Nintendo looks good too, that DS thing is really selling."

fernoca said:
Oh come on Specu..
You admitted owning stock from Take-Two...:D

"Analysts" like Pachter says idiotic things every day and worse..heck they get paid to say stuff like that.. :lol

You should know better by now...no need to get so personal, even when your stock is in danger.. :lol

Yes, I admit I own the stock. That is why it drives me nuts when he bashes it with inaccurate information. I have no problem when he criticizes their plans & results . . . but when Pachter flat out lies about things ("Only . . . two products"). That's beyond the pale.

ShutEye

speculawyer said:
I think he is publically bad-mouthing TTWO to push the price down while privately advising clients to buy TTWO.

I'd love to see you and Pachter on a podcast. The Speculawyer Games Investor Podcast.

"You are purposely fukcing up my stock plays Pacht. Can't you fukcing read? AHHHH

All I want is to make a little money. Why can't you help?"

Ether_Snake said:
I said it before, I'm sure Pachter is one someone's payroll who wants TTWO's stock to go down for their (future?) profit. He is batshit ridiculous in his assertions,

That's all I can figure. It is just too convenient that he forgets about The Darkness which is sellling great and The Bigs which is doing OK (especially on the Wii) but he remembers the game with the crap reviews and the suspended game.

All of his 'mistakes' are a bit one sided. It's like when Fox News put up John Conyer's picture when talking about indicted William Jefferson and when they put a (D) behind disgraced Mark Foley. Accidents? I don't think so.

BTW. Bioshock comes out in August, so that is in TTWO's next quarter.

ShutEye said:
I'd love to see you and Pachter on a podcast. The Speculawyer Games Investor Podcast.

"You are purposely fukcing up my stock plays Pacht. Can't you fukcing read? AHHHH

All I want is to make a little money. Why can't you help?"

:lol

I don't want his help, I just want him to stop lying.

sphinx

the piano man
Is this thread an excuse to summon Pachter and encourage him to come more often and discuss with us videogame stuff?

The guy has been quite friendly but all these attacks are bound to make him avoid GAF like the plague. I don't think Pachter wants the next IGN article title to read: " Pachter gets owned in popular gaming forum "

edit: Grammar

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No one will deny that he doesn't think too highly of the company (and, on its face that's not completely nuts given the shakeup and other things) but I really don't think there's any nefarious intent there and I certainly don't think he's intentionally perpetrating fraud on the market. Analysts are incredibly cautious these days about everything, much less knowingly publishing false statements and then using that to benefit their clients. The "two products" comment was likely either sloppiness or miscommunication.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sphinx said:
Is this thread an excuse to summon Pachter and encourage him to come more often and discuss with us videogame stuff?

The guy has been quite friendly but all these attacks are bound to make him avoid GAF like the plague. I don't think Pachter wants the next IGN article title to read: " Pachter gets owned in popular gaming forum "

edit: Grammar

Who cares, as far as I'm concerned all investors would be better off if he was replaced by someone more competent. You know, people listen to analysts for advices. This guy basically said (on next-gen.biz's podcast) "I have the greatest job in the world, I can say whatever I want, I don't have to be right and I don't care. Ca-Ching!"

AstroLad said:
No one will deny that he doesn't think too highly of the company (and, on its face that's not completely nuts given the shakeup and other things) but I really don't think there's any nefarious intent there and I certainly don't think he's intentionally perpetrating fraud on the market. Analysts are incredibly cautious these days about everything, much less knowingly publishing false statements and then using that to benefit their clients. The "two products" comment was likely either sloppiness or miscommunication.

That means you probably haven't been keeping up with what he has been saying for well over a year. He made far too many negative comments on Take2 while at the same time he had NOTHING else to say other than lick EA and Sony, all the while ignoring the rising success of the Wii and DS until recently where he just had no choice but to change his tune. Even then he is still way too silent on companies other than Take2. It's like his purpose has been only to bitch about them and praise EA. How many times did he comment on THQ? He probably doesn't even know what games they make.

Top Bottom