• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did 'Hooked Man RE4' get turned into Demento/Haunting Ground?

As you know, Resident Evil 4 went through four different versions - Devil May Cry, the Fog version, the Hooked Man version and an unseen, conventional Resident Evil game, before they settled on Spain and Las Plagas and 'Your Right Hand Comes Off?'.

This is my crazy speculation, but right in the beginning of the original Hooked Man trailer are a couple of bits of architecture that are near exact in layout to pieces of architecture in the PS2 horror game Haunting Ground. In particular is an outdoor walkway that has a very similar layout. The lighting is different and it has been modified somewhat (vines, texturing) in Haunting Ground, but the layout is the same.

There is an outdoor stone staircase that looks kind of similar in design in both games as well, but it's a bit of a stretch to link them.

Hooked Man Trailer
Haunting Ground

I'm just wondering if Capcom reused Hooked Man RE4 assets and turned it into Haunting Ground. They must have spent a lot on all those versions of RE4, and one of them definitely was turned into another game, so it just wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Kacho

I think it was confirmed that the early areas in Haunting Ground used assets from a scrapped Resident Evil game.

I'm actually playing through Haunting Ground right now and it is so stressful. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.

besides some of the assets like the suits in armor being carried over to Resident Evil 4 final, some of the other assets went into the PS2 game, “Haunting Grounds”.

Source

I knew it.

I did also read that HG was originally going to be Clock Tower 4, but it got changed for some reason. Maybe because Clock Tower is fucking insane.

People have separated the Fog and Hookman versions of Resident Evil 3.5 for ages believing them to be different versions of the game not realizing that all this time they were one the same. The reason they were believed different is since the original reveal trailer of the mentioned “Fog Version” looked quite different than the “Hookman Version” trailer we received, leading people to believe they were different, not realizing that the airship, Hookman, the Fog, possessed dolls, and a stormy night were all very much related. Even crazier is that there is evidence that will be provided in a bit that the unknown “Umbrella” version of Resident Evil 4 is also the same as the Fog and Hookman versions and was in fact not a separate build. All of these three “Versions” were all works on different aspects of the true Resident Evil 3.5.

Mind blown.

I knew it.

I did also read that HG was originally going to be Clock Tower 4, but it got changed for some reason. Maybe because Clock Tower is fucking insane.

Mind blown.

Maybe because Clock Tower 3 sold like shit.

It's a shame, CT3 is actually a pretty good survival horror with excelent directed cutscenes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
If it's true then poor poor Hiroshi Shibata ( Director of the RE3.5,Bayonetta's Lead Game Designer) first Capcom kill his RE4 project,downgrade him,fire him then steal his ideas.

Top Bottom