• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I “get gud” at Dark Souls?

Maddux4164

Firstly, this game has among the best interconnected worlds in gaming in my opinion.

Bought this at it’s launch on 360. Never gave it a real shot.

Over the years I’ve picked it up. On and off. Furthest I’ve gotten was before the O&S battle.

But this is a game I’m happy to start fresh and explore all over again. Decided to do just that recently on Steam.

To my surprise, I stormed my way through to ringing the first bell. Hardly died. I knew where all the good loot was and also how to approach enemies.

I will beat it this time. But that said, I’m shocked at how well I did despite it being a while since I played

I am aware few will be impressed by this. But feels good. It’s world just keeps me coming back for more. What a great game.

Firstly, this game has among the best interconnected worlds in gaming in my opinion.

Bought this at it’s launch on 360. Never gave it a real shot.

Over the years I’ve picked it up. On and off. Furthest I’ve gotten was before the O&S battle.

But this is a game I’m happy to start fresh and explore all over again. Decided to do just that recently on Steam.

To my surprise, I stormed my way through to ringing the first bell. Hardly died. I knew where all the good loot was and also how to approach enemies.

I will beat it this time. But that said, I’m shocked at how well I did despite it being a while since I played

I am aware few will be impressed by this. But feels good. It’s world just keeps me coming back for more. What a great game.

You gonna get shit on, my dude. But you doin alright. Don't give up, skeleton!

You sure did! And you're probably playing it at 60 fps now compared to back on the 360, right? That makes a massive difference in Dark Souls and makes the controls so much more responsive and the game much more playable.

Maybe not easier, but easier to master! And easier on the patience I guess.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If you’re having fun who cares? Dying needs to stop being seen as a negative. It’s a learning experience. You should welcome death. Any time you die just think what did I do wrong and how can I improve?

it’s been a while since I played but I struggled most with Capra, Four Kings, and Gwyn.

good luck and don’t give up

Maddux4164

You sure did! And you're probably playing it at 60 fps now compared to back on the 360, right? That makes a massive difference in Dark Souls and makes the controls so much more responsive and the game much more playable.

Maybe not easier, but easier to master! And easier on the patience I guess.
Pshh. Oh yes. Can’t imagine that 720p 25fps or whatever it was back then hahah

Maddux4164

If you’re having fun who cares? Dying needs to stop being seen as a negative. It’s a learning experience. You should welcome death. Any time you die just think what did I do wrong and how can I improve?

it’s been a while since I played but I struggled most with Capra, Four Kings, and Gwyn.

good luck and don’t give up
Oh you’re not wrong. Don’t mind dying.

Also, to me the Capra demon is “luck”. That tight squeezed area with the dogs attacking from second number 1?! Pure luck on what happens after you enter the fog

Maddux4164

True! These games can be very frustrating when you need to try over and over again, and everything that helps with that gives you more patientce so yeah. It's all about the patience for me at least 😁
Finally want to beat this game. Got to O&S. Never beat them. Kinda “gave up” on the game. Not for any reason. Just started playing other things ya know? But this game you can ALWAYS come back to and have a blast exploring. So many incredible secrets and things to find and do.

Tranquil

Just recently beat this game a few weeks ago, my first FS game I've finished. Was a lot of fun, I struggled the hardest on O&S and Nito (I know that nito is supposed to be easy but I dunno it was hard for me with those skeletons).

DavidGzz

The beauty of these games is that it was familiar in how it played yet foreign in ways that made them quite difficult. Once they click, it's like riding a bike, you never forget how. You might need a refresher and of course, you can still die easily if careless, but they are a blast and super memorable. It's been and will continue being super tough to wait for Elden Ring to release. I need my next Souls fix.

Finally want to beat this game. Got to O&S. Never beat them. Kinda “gave up” on the game. Not for any reason. Just started playing other things ya know? But this game you can ALWAYS come back to and have a blast exploring. So many incredible secrets and things to find and do.
Oh yeah, to me they are the biggest assholes in gaming history and definitely the hardest part of the game. But after you beat them I think it gets a lot "easier", at least it does for me.

Also, when I first played the game back ont the PS3 it took me like a day to beat them but when I played the game again the other year in 60 fps, it only took a few tries. Hopefully you'll have the same experience! 😊

Sure, I had been practicing with other games such as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 before that but the higher framerate and resolution etc helps SO much. Good luck!

Dacon

Banned
I did fucking terrible at Dark Souls, my first time playing it. Got so fucking mad, was throwing shit and getting pissy.

Then it just clicked. I realized that I just needed to slow down and pay attention. This wasn't fucking Devil May Cry.

The game requires a methodical and deliberate pacing. You have to be away of your surroundings, your footing, the reach of your weapon, and the range of your enemy's. Once I learned what kind of game I was playing it was mostly smooth sailing.

Maddux4164

I did fucking terrible at Dark Souls, my first time playing it. Got so fucking mad, was throwing shit and getting pissy.

Then it just clicked. I realized that I just needed to slow down and pay attention. This wasn't fucking Devil May Cry.

The game requires a methodical and deliberate pacing. You have to be away of your surroundings, your footing, the reach of your weapon, and the range of your enemy's. Once I learned what kind of game I was playing it was mostly smooth sailing.
Bingo. Slashing folks is a breeze once you know the “rules”.

Maddux4164

Oh yeah, to me they are the biggest assholes in gaming history and definitely the hardest part of the game. But after you beat them I think it gets a lot "easier", at least it does for me.

Also, when I first played the game back ont the PS3 it took me like a day to beat them but when I played the game again the other year in 60 fps, it only took a few tries. Hopefully you'll have the same experience! 😊

Sure, I had been practicing with other games such as Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 before that but the higher framerate and resolution etc helps SO much. Good luck!
Completely. It’s lovely at 60fps and high res. No hiccups and long load times. Smooth as butter. What A world though. How everything is so connected yet so far apart. Wow.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Such a great game, still best in the series (recently beat DS3 for the first time and looking back think DS1 was better). To this day I can't believe I actually beat O&S on my first try, whereas I struggeld with every other boss. Mind you, I would never say it was easy, I just had loads of luck and I was also never able to replicate that in my later playthroughs (never beat them on first try again).

laynelane

There's a lot of obstacles on the way to the first bell - the Black Knights, the Drake, ambushes, the Bell Gargoyles, etc. So, yeah, it's impressive you made it so easily after not playing for so long! Hopefully you keep having fun with it and, if you feel like it, it would be great if you posted more updates as you progress. Also:

excellent-youre-one.jpg

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Pretty much. I’ve made it to O&S before. But decided it’s been forever and I’m best off starting new
They are cnuts.

Even more if you want the platinum / 1000G you have to kill them the other way round in your second play through.

So whoever you kill first in your first play, kill last next time.

Pejo

If there was one game I wish I could go back and play again for the first time, it'd be Dark Souls (not the remaster version with the ruined PVP). Nearly a perfect game in my eyes, despite the last half of the game being unfinished and kinda....weird.

Keep going OP, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread to live vicariously through you.

Maddux4164

There's a lot of obstacles on the way to the first bell - the Black Knights, the Drake, ambushes, the Bell Gargoyles, etc. So, yeah, it's impressive you made it so easily after not playing for so long! Hopefully you keep having fun with it and, if you feel like it, it would be great to if you posted more updates as you progress. Also:

excellent-youre-one.jpg
Ooooo. You want more do ya?! 😏

That’s great OP.
Make sure you beat the DLC. Artorias is an amazing boss and fight. The last DLC boss is a bit challenging.

I found the Souls series easy. That is until Fume Knight. Was stuck on that boss for a long time. I am currently playing DS3 which is probably the most difficult of the Souls series so far. It’s enjoyable as heck. Going to finish with Bloodborne

Last edited:

Maddux4164

That’s great OP.
Make sure you beat the DLC. Artorias is an amazing boss and fight. The last DLC boss is a bit challenging.

I found the Souls series easy. That is until Fume Knight. Was stuck on that boss for a long time. I am currently playing DS3 which is probably the most difficult of the Souls series so far. It’s enjoyable as heck. Going to finish with Bloodborne
Funnily enough the DLC requires certain “things” in order to play it haha. True DS fashion

clintar

I've played the original dark souls and beat it. I have no idea how i beat the tower guardian or whatever it's called. I have attempted 4 times on the remaster and he 2 hit me every time.

Last edited:

Paasei

I should play them again, too. It has been a while since I last beat these games.
Amazing games, but never thought them to be as hard as some make it out to be. A really good (and fun) challenge at best.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Oh you’re not wrong. Don’t mind dying.

Also, to me the Capra demon is “luck”. That tight squeezed area with the dogs attacking from second number 1?! Pure luck on what happens after you enter the fog
Agreed. If they either took a dog away or made the area that little bit bigger to counteract the state mandated gank it would have been fine. Even mods that overhaul the entire game change that boss, it’s not a strong point. I remember hitting a wall there in the pre-patched PS3 version before the game truly clicked.

The other boss that will fuck you before the end game unfinished area is the [any number but four] kings. It’s one of those bosses where people found ways to negate most of it because it’s not exactly the cleanest fight you’ll ever have.

I came to the thread to explain what gittin gud really is, but this is it. The realisation that every encounter is fine if you don’t try and brute force your way past the mechanics of the game. Respect the stamina bar and the consequences of committing to an attack and it begins to fall into place. It’s the scene from the Matrix when Neo turns around and Morpheus says “He’s beginning to believe”. You realise that Ornstein & Smough aren’t impossible if you stick to the basics (using the environment/AI to your advantage helps).

Maddux4164

Short side tip. The drake sword won't be good forever, make sure to upgrade another weapon on the side
Caught me. Yes, it’s so easy to get and DESTROY everything for a “bit”. But it doesn’t scale for shit. Hard to turn myself off from the pleasure of early game pleasure ya know?

sublimit

Banned
Short side tip. The drake sword won't be good forever, make sure to upgrade another weapon on the side
Indeed.By the time you reach Anor Londo it's basically worthless. Zweihander is so much better (if you like ultra greatswords).

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Good stuff man.

I occasionally get the urge to finish my playthrough. For some reason I dropped the game after beating O&S (took me 3 trys, had to mention it haha) and whenever I try to get into it again I'm totally out of the experience; don't know what happend or where to go, etc. So instead I just feel like doing a fresh run. Then I think about going for a specific build and going for platinum and it just becomes overwhelming. But I tend to do that.

Anyways, again; good stuff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom