• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I give up On Elden too soon?

Keihart

It's just a weird thing to suggest if you have to have been leveling for 20 hours before it's even reasonable to go there.
well that's the thing, you don't have to been leveling for 20 hours if you are into figuring the fight you can just kill the boss naked with a club at level 10, if you are strugglin you can look for alternatives as getting stronger by exploring or summoning co-op, etc.

It's your choice.
(it's all fair, summons, magic, whatever, it's always been that way. Whatever it takes is fair because the game will try to cheat you too )

Last edited:

Inspector Q

One thing that I have noticed, and this is probably old news to mostly everyone, is that when I am struggling with a boss it's usually because I am trying to block with my shield too much. A lot of the times when I just suck it up and go two handed, it forces me to learn the boss' attack patterns and how to properly dodge them. I am not saying you need to drop the shield entirely, but doing a few attempts at a boss without even trying to use your shield will FORCE you to learn the dodge timings.

Also, dodging towards the boss and trying to circle around them seems to almost always be a better option than dodging away from them. Also, not getting too greedy and just settling for one light attack during your attack opportunities can help conserve your health.

But yeah, as others have said, there is so much to do and explore that it's not really worth it beating your head against the wall trying to beat one particular boss. I am about 40 hours in and I think Margit is still the hardest boss I have faced thus far. Everything else has been way easier in comparison.

Once you level up your health, stamina, weapons and flasks the game's combat will become a lot more lenient. You won't usually die to just one or two attacks anymore. Although, if you play like shit you will still get destroyed by even the basic enemies in the game, lol.

V4skunk

Banned
I really wanted to like this game. I loved Sekiro. I'm not new to the souls formula or anything. Just want some input on how you guys that have made it pretty far in the game, went about doing so. Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm just wandering around aimlessly. This boss is too powerful so go get literally lost until you've leveled up. Maybe I'll go back and fight that tree sentinel again. Nope. Go get lost. The way I'm playing it can't be the way everyone else is or everyone else would have uninstalled that shit too. Lol. Any advice?
Learn how to use a map and git gud.
Filtered.

Zug

I don't think i've been that hooked to a game since ... Mass Effect or Demon's Souls maybe ? 100 hours in less than 2 weeks, considering I have a full time job, that's a lot.
It's just how good this is.

Don't give up skeleton !

JRW

I really wanted to like this game. I loved Sekiro. I'm not new to the souls formula or anything. Just want some input on how you guys that have made it pretty far in the game, went about doing so. Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I'm just wandering around aimlessly. This boss is too powerful so go get literally lost until you've leveled up. Maybe I'll go back and fight that tree sentinel again. Nope. Go get lost. The way I'm playing it can't be the way everyone else is or everyone else would have uninstalled that shit too. Lol. Any advice?
I feel the tree sentinel is there at the start to teach newer players (maybe new to souls games) that you'll encounter bosses way overpowered for your level & equipment which is fine, just move on & come back later when you have better equipment & stats. When I finally came back I had a much better feel for the combat alone which was enough to defeat him, well plus I may of used a jellyfish to distract him :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe the game is not for you? No need to force yourself if you aren't having a good time with it. If you need any help, internet and videos are a choice. The other is keep playing the way you like and perceveire, no one keeps killing counts. All that matters is defeating the enemy with whatever mean you have, no one gonna judge you.

It's just a weird thing to suggest if you have to have been leveling for 20 hours before it's even reasonable to go there.

Theres no "rule" to play Souls game bud.
Overlevel, ranged, magic, trickery, you name it. Use everything you can to defeat hardass bosses. They won't play fair with you, thats the essence of Souls games.

Mr Hyde

Took down Tree Sentinel at level 18 and goddamn, he handed my ass over probably 50 times. But I couldn't let that son of a bitch sit on his high horse looking down on me. He probably thinks he's a demigod, but in reality he's just a poser. Who got the last laugh now wanker?

MiguelItUp

I mean, you just may not be into it. Sekiro, out of all the other Souls games, has much more of a "set in stone" story and direction as opposed to other Souls-like titles.

Elden Ring does not hold back from reminding you that it's an open world game. So exploration does play a huge part in it. There are often times where you're going to do something, but then spot something on your way, and check that out instead. It keeps on happening. There is a LOT of exploration to be had.

Not only that, but a lot of bosses, like the Tree Sentinel, are optional. If he wrecks you, you can not interact with him, and come back later after you've buffed up a bit. The same goes for every other optional fight like that.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
Got laugh at troo gmaerz that wont start the game without wikis, grinding til heart's content and lecturing about exploration and curiosity is the soul of the game while having all the item locations before hand.

I gave up, op. Combat is cheap, i would feel even more incompetent being led by hand through guidance by others and, most of all, they got pay me to do something stupid like grind, not me pay them.

This will never be Sekiro.

Last edited:

El gallo

Thing is the world is boring. For open world games to work you need to have a sense that it’s organic and living. This game could have used a town and a lot more npcs.

This just feels like one huge level you use a horse to travel on. I also get the feeling of been there done that with this game. I never gotten that with other soul games. There’s nothing new enough here, Sekiro and BB introduced new mechanics. Other than the horse this feels boring.

elliot5

Thing is the world is boring. For open world games to work you need to have a sense that it’s organic and living. This game could have used a town and a lot more npcs.

This just feels like one huge level you use a horse to travel on. I also get the feeling of been there done that with this game. I never gotten that with other soul games. There’s nothing new enough here, Sekiro and BB introduced new mechanics. Other than the horse this feels boring.
I disagree because there’s tons of secrets to find and atmosphere to take in. I don’t need npcs with routines and systems to flesh it out to make it feel alive and rewarding. The whole schtick of FROM games are usually the dread and despair and having a bustling town with a lot more npcs doesn’t make sense.

El gallo

I disagree because there’s tons of secrets to find and atmosphere to take in. I don’t need npcs with routines and systems to flesh it out to make it feel alive and rewarding. The whole schtick of FROM games are usually the dread and despair and having a bustling town with a lot more npcs doesn’t make sense.
Well I also disagree. They could have added towns and npcs to give the game some sense of dread and atmosphere. On the topic of despair and atmosphere this is the worst souls game at accomplishing that. This game feels water down and art direction is shit compared to their other games.

When the honey moon phase is over people gonna realize this game is over hyped bullshit

elliot5

Well I also disagree. They could have added towns and npcs to give the game some sense of dread and atmosphere. On the topic of despair and atmosphere this is the worst souls game at accomplishing that. This game feels water down and art direction is shit compared to their other games.

When the honey moon phase is over people gonna realize this game is over hyped bullshit
I agree that people are probably going a little too hard with the GOTG miyazaki have my children overhype, but i still think its exceptional. It falls apart at the end when you run into some bs bosses and notice a lot of boss and asset reuse, but still they delivered a great game. I only wish there was crossplay lol

Lokaum D+

I went through that phase too, I decided to focus primarily on finding grace spots, map items and do some leveling up. I'm really enjoying it now. Also, I don't know if you are aware but you can actually spot the map item locations on the map.

There's also this insane farming spot. Yesterday I went from level 75 to 111 in a couple of hours. I'm not sure if it's viable early game though.

if u have 50 str and 16 int u can use the Ruins GreatSword +7 ( my is +9 ) and u ll instakill every mob on this "area" next to the bonfire and u ll have next to 47K runes per run, i just did like 700k in 10 min.

I can do it faster if i use some itens and dont miss click my bow :p

Last edited:
You are at the perfect spot to leave the boss and explore Limgrave and south. I pushed through the boss your are on, and kept going north. Now, I'm breezing through the south on the horsie which is slightly unfulfilling from gameplay but amazing for atmosphere and world.

Should be fun, just explore all areas of the map and uncover everything...despite the feeling you should be grinding that boss to show your superiority. Lots of nice upgrades. That loop helped me turn an impossible 20 try boss into a first try affair.

Game is getting boring and grindy but I'll force myself since everyone keeps saying GOAT, so apparently nothing else is decent ATM. Plays like your typical generic souls game, stack Stam and learn to evade to basically faceroll every fight. Only challenge to these games usually is the gaps between checkpoints.

Makes me want to play Gears of War on insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom