• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Microsoft cancel Mojang's non-Minecraft projects?

Novocaine

Doesn't matter. Once Mojang devs burn out of making Minecraft, they will quit and move on to creative ventures, and once that happens, it's not Mojang anymore, and Microsoft will have created another husk of a company that they bought for billions.

The people who made id are pretty much all gone and they released a new DOOM game that's god damned amazing and worthy of being a DOOM game. Because id hired people who were passionate about their properties.

If the original Mojang team grow tired of Minecraft and all leave the company they will be replaced by people who are passionate about the game (which IMO is better than hypothetically having the original people there who don't give a shit anymore). Assuming they turn into a husk of a company not worth a shit is a very cynical perspective to have.

Well this is MS. Their modus operendi is having their studios exist to crank out the same game like 343i, Coalition and Turn 10. Personally I would argue putting all your eggs into the same baskets year after year is a risky strategy but what do I know.
This is literally one the biggest games/services of the last 6 years I don't get this complaint. An IP like gears I can understand but this is of the biggest ips since Mario that is used in schools and everything. You want them to stop supporting it?.

WadeitOut

Well this is MS. Their modus operendi is having their studios exist to crank out the same game like 343i, Coalition and Turn 10. Personally I would argue putting all your eggs into the same baskets year after year is a risky strategy but what do I know.

As opposed to the vast array of titles Sony has Polyphony put out? Guerrilla Games just released their first non Killzone game this year since 2004.

I don't know why GAF thinks it's some rare or bad thing to have a studio that focuses on a specific massively popular franchise. Having Mojang focus on freaking Minecraft is not exactly something I'd use my Microsoft-hate-jerk time on.

As opposed to the vast array of titles Sony has Polyphony put out? Guerrilla Games just released their first non Killzone game this year since 2004.

I don't know why GAF thinks it's some rare or bad thing to have a studio that focuses on a specific massively popular franchise. Having Mojang focus on freaking Minecraft is not exactly something I'd use my Microsoft-hate-jerk time on.

It becomes an issue for people when 4 out of 5 of your studios is working on the same franchise. People wouldn't have an issue if they had more studios working on a more varied experience. The PD/GG comparison isn't really that sound because there are plenty of other Sony studios working on a mix of new IP and classic franchises.

WadeitOut

It becomes an issue for people when 4 out of 5 of your studios is working on the same franchise. People wouldn't have an issue if they had more studios working on a more varied experience. The PD/GG comparison isn't really that sound because there are plenty of other Sony studios working on a mix of new IP and classic franchises.

Right. So go dig up one of the many other threads used to complain about Microsoft not letting a developer make other IP titles.

Mojang and Turn 10 are dumb examples. I bolded and underlined his Turn 10 mention because I was specifically referring to that.

Right. So go dig up one of the many other threads used to complain about Microsoft not letting a developer make other IP titles.

Mojang and Turn 10 are dumb examples. I bolded and underlined his Turn 10 mention because I was specifically referring to that.

Sure, I get that. Just playing devil's advocate because while it's not a personal grievance of mine, I can see why people would say things like the post your quoted. Overall, their stance is still kind of valid and the frustration understandable.

IrishNinja

Minecraft was lightning in a bottle, and even then it took a long time to make it the game that it is today. I don't know why people expected Notch to be the next Miyamoto or Molyneux.

yeah, he ripped this idea off as it was, and in the time since has proven himself to be an atrocious human being

he's not anywhere near fit to be named next to Miyamoto & the greats.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Neither of those studios have made something as big as minecraft.

And updating minecraft is a full time job. With how big the game has gotten you don't just "make stuff on the side".

Nobody is saying to drop Minecraft or reduce focus on Minecraft.

It would be smart if MS hired more staff to make a B team which rotated with the A team in order to not burn them out by focusing them on a single project.

Mojang pull in more than enough money to do this, who knows they may even stumble upon a new breakout IP in the process.

Top Bottom