• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

People got a Versus XIII vibe out of X? I got a Monster Hunter vibe out of it. The whole gimmick (for me) of Versus XIII is that it's a Kingdom Hearts combat system based game that brings back some of the roots of FF all while having a world that conflicts between modernism and traditionalism.

X still looks great though.
Just more awesome that X is getting so many opinions

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I meant on consoles. TWEWY is one of my favorite games. And if publishing is their best contribution then that speaks volumes for their own development teams.
Uhhh... Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Bearers (Layle was kinda cool).

The Last Remnant on PC was probably my favourite game from them this generation.

Nier? Even though that was Cavia?

Sponge

Banned
I'm not even a fan of RPGs and what I saw from X has me hyped, something Final Fantasy has failed to do to me for years.

IrishNinja

people defending Versus in here - how many years after we've seen it? 6+? - are blowing my mind. yeah, OP's really gonna eat his words at E3 when square delivers on all that hype, instead of say a closed room viewing of some more Lightning stuff, surely this will be the year

don't get me wrong, TWEWY was one of my absolute favorites last gen, and publishing Nier was great as well, but they're struggling to keep even their flagship title relevant under wada.

CorvoSol

Uhhh... Chocobo's Dungeon and Crystal Bearers (Layle was kinda cool).

The Last Remnant on PC was probably my favourite console game from them this generation.

Nier? Even though that was Cavia?

They also put out Dis- no wait that was hand helds. Well how about Typ- no, that was hand helds. Well there's still Bra- no, hand helds. Oh hey, what about Thea- no, that one, too.

Hand Held Square and Console Square are different companies.

Gravijah

people defending Versus in here - how many years after we've seen it? 6+? - are blowing my mind. yeah, OP's really gonna eat his words at E3 when square delivers on all that hype, instead of say a closed room viewing of some more Lightning stuff, surely this will be the year

Shenmue 3.

They also put out Dis- no wait that was hand helds. Well how about Typ- no, that was hand helds. Well there's still Bra- no, hand helds. Oh hey, what about Thea- no, that one, too.

Hand Held Square and Console Square are different companies.

Handheld Square- Squaresoft

Console Square- Square Enix

CorvoSol

Where's that picture of the bloodshot eyes guy crying at his desk with a calendar behind him?

ikioi

Banned
IMHO Square Enix are one of the most over rated developers around.

FF13 and its sequals were sub par below average JRPGs. No one can tell me FF13 was a great game, nor its sequals and spin offs. Square spent millions of dollars deloping and years making these games. Despite the financial, man power, and time spent developing these games, this was the best they could come up with? FF13 in particular was terrible with its on rails 40 hour game play, average plot, terrible voice acting, and slow pacing.

Meanwhile a developer like Monolith who have no where near the budget, manpower, resources, or development time as Square can come out with an epic like Xenosaga. That game was almost perfect. Everything from the music, graphics, over world, side quests, plot, battle system, exploration and freedom, just about everything was incredibly polished and amazingly executed.

The latest FF online can only be described as one of the most epic failures in the MMO market. It was so bad they pulled the game and had to re do it. It makes every mistake Bioware and EA made with SWTOR look good.

Square Enix imho are a better publisher then they are game developer. They've recently brought us Deus Ex HR, Sleeping Dogs, along with a few other jems. It's a sad world when one of the legendary JRPG developers publishes better games from other developers then they make.

IrishNinja

Shenmue 3.

yeah that was really at an E3 event last gen, with lots of follow-up talk about how the development's coming along, so that makes this a highly relevant comment, good work gravijers

protip: Sega still makes good games, square is only a few steps above konami in my mind right now in the "we forgot how" dept

Gravijah

Meanwhile a developer like Monolith who have no where near the budget, manpower, resources, or development time as Square can come out with an epic like Xenosaga. That game was almost perfect. Everything from the music, graphics, over world, side quests, plot, battle system, exploration and freedom, just about everything was incredibly polished and amazingly executed.

In no world is Xenoblade almost perfect. It has many flaws, the battle system chief among them.

yeah that was really at an E3 event last gen, with lots of follow-up talk about how the development's coming along, so that makes this a highly relevant comment, good work gravijers

protip: Sega still makes good games, square is only a few steps above konami in my mind right now in the "we forgot how" dept

You can't take my Square Enix joy away from me.

Why? So far branching out to Europe and NA has been paying off for SE, with Deus Ex:HR being a big hit.

I'm talking about SE's own internal studios. This has nothing to do with westernization - in fact, i'd agree that the western side of SE is the only decent part left. What i'm referring to is how SE Japan studios have moved away from what made their older franchises such as Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Parasite Eve, Chrono etc etc so special, or else exploited their good elements into the ground. And by move away I don't mean become more westernized, I mean they just became shit. The rest of Japan gets it - they looked at what has worked for them in the past, and have now gone back to that formula. And I think it's working.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, let's not talk about Konami's incompetence. Because I'll cry. :(

And Sega really has come a long way since the beginning of this generation. Publishing a lot of their arcade-esque titles on digital platforms, better Sonic games (outside of letting Dimps work on them), ok-ish PC ports, publishing some good stuff (Infinite Space, Resonance of Fate), etc. The only thing they really need to do is localize VC3 and stop being idiots about the Shining series.

I feel like that's a bit unfair to Enix's side, though, 'cuz DQ 9 was pretty good.
Eh. I didn't like DQ9 as much as other people did. It's alright from an aesthetic and ideas perspective, but you know I prefer the other ones like 3, 5 and 8.

Square's been doing it themselves to their die-hard fans for years now. HOLD ON IT'S COMING GUYSit's not coming, give up, play actual games.
That's why you've gotta ignore half of the nonsense they say.

Metazoid

Banned
People still think Versus XIII is anymore than hype for the PS3 when it first came out? I was pretty excited for it as well, but look at reality.

Gravijah

Was there any announcement about a foreign release?

I mean I doubt it will end up like Xenoblade did but you never know....

No, but XB did well enough in the west.

I'm wondering where they got the budget to do a game like X with how their games sell, though.

i can't believe im saying this, but i REALLY hope someone rips off X (concept and design wise) as soon as possible. i like what i see in the gifs but i just can't see myself playing this on WiiU. i NEED my PS3 controller. i NEED my trophies. i am coming to the realization that i have been ensnared in the sony ecosystem to the point where i won't buy on another system because of it's lack of sony ecosystem and related features. wow.

IrishNinja

You can't take my Square Enix joy away from me.

what joy are you getting from them in recent years? serious question here meng

The only thing they really need to do is localize VC3 and stop being idiots about the Shining series.

yeah, i assume VC3 was a victim of the times like Persona 2's other half? i wanna cry about the Yakuza titles but Segata assures me they're not worth the tears, at least the first one.

what they're doing with Shining - especially the YT videos - is absolutely mind-boggling, though. i thought it was bad enough going after Streets of Rage fan game (which was excellent by the way) when they wanted to ios port part 2, but this is even dumber in my mind.

Gravijah

what joy are you getting from them in recent years? serious question here meng

yeah, i assume VC3 was a victim of the times like Persona 2's other half? i wanna cry about the Yakuza titles but Segata assures me they're not worth the tears, at least the first one.

what they're doing with Shining - especially the YT videos - is absolutely mind-boggling, though. i thought it was bad enough going after Streets of Rage fan game (which was excellent by the way) when they wanted to ios port part 2, but this is even dumber in my mind.

XIII, to name one game, but you know that.

And Y5 isn't getting localized.

Eteric Rice

IMHO Square Enix are one of the most over rated developers around.

FF13 and its sequals were sub par below average JRPGs. No one can tell me FF13 was a great game, nor its sequals and spin offs. Square spent millions of dollars deloping and years making these games. Despite the financial, man power, and time spent developing these games, this was the best they could come up with? FF13 in particular was terrible with its on rails 40 hour game play, average plot, terrible voice acting, and slow pacing.

The latest FF online can only be described as one of the most epic failures in the MMO market. It was so bad they pulled the game and had to re do it. It makes every mistake Bioware and EA made with SWTOR look good.

Square Enix imho are a better publisher then they are game developer. They've recently brought us Deus Ex HR, Sleeping Dogs, along with a few other jems. It's a sad world when one of the legendary JRPG developers publishes better games from other developers then they make.

Their fame is mostly from their Squaresoft days. They are indeed a shadow of their former selves. :(

KiN0

I think it's important to remember that Xenoblade is pretty much the only game Monolith Soft has released to garner such high acclaim. I'm sure they'll continue releasing high quality titles but at the moment they don't really have a history of excellence behind them.

No, but XB did well enough in the west.

I'm wondering where they got the budget to do a game like X with how their games sell, though.

Yeah but that doesn't mean much honestly with Nintendo. A lot of their decisions aren't really based in logic. I mean Earthbound is easily one of the most beloved franchises ever and how do they treat it...?

I will remain optimistic(even though I will be getting the JP version) but you never know....

Gravijah

Yeah but that doesn't mean much honestly with Nintendo. A lot of their decisions aren't really based in logic. I mean Earthbound is easily one of the most beloved franchises ever and how do they treat it...?

I will remain optimistic(even though I will be getting the JP version) but you never know....

To be fair, to re-release Earthbound now they'd need to change some of the music.

Haunted

They'll have a huge Versus blowout at this year's E3. Nomura-sama will be on stage and play it and it'll blow everyone's minds because it's so awesome and everything we've been waiting for the last 6 years.

Right guys?

erhqnsk2so2.gif

Gravijah

They'll have a huge Versus blowout at this year's E3. Nomura-sama will be on stage and play it and it'll blow everyone's minds because it's so awesome and everything we've been waiting for the last 6 years.

Right guys?

erhqnsk2so2.gif

It's going to have the best Yoko Shimomura OST ever, at least. Legend of Mana will be topped!

IrishNinja

XIII, to name one game, but you know that.

And Y5 isn't getting localized.

that's just one game, and quite the lowering of standards after the vastly superior XII...but you too know that

and it is, which is another reason why Sega >>>> Square m'man

To be fair, to re-release Earthbound now they'd need to change some of the music.

Yes I know all of these issues but I am also pretty damn sure they could have recouped those losses.

Still anyone who uses actual sound logic to guess what Nintendo will do is being a bit naive. :p

Top Bottom