• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sega made all the right moves with their Lindbergh strategy ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exhibit A:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/749/749074/vids_1.html

Exhibit B:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/749/749072/vids_1.html

Lindbergh is SEGA's idea to take an easy to program for PC-like board to stay beyond what a lot of the PC's people have can do (besides those hard-core gamers with overclocked dual core Athlon 64 FX and overclocked dual 6800 Ultra's, but still ) while still being reasonably close to what Xbox 360, PLASTATION 3 and Revolution can do.

I think it was a smart move IMHO: it does not make sense to spend tons of money for an arcade board's chipset
(even though we might see an arcade board that moves in the power league of the Next-Generation consoles when they are able to release that arcade board with AGEIA's PPU on it if they ever release it though, if they have not canned it completely already)
: you can spend extra money on the screen, on the speakers, on custom feedback functions (strong and localized rumble control, force-feedback, etc...) and other extra/custom accessories that always made the arcade experience interesting .

SEGA needed a platform easy to work on and to be able to focus on content: still neither Sonic nor Afterburner look crappy IMHO .

The problem might come when they do Lindbergh to consoles ports since we go from an architecture which is definately more standard (~3.0 GHz Pentium IV HT with 1 MB of L2 cache and 1 GB of RAM as well as 256 MB of VRAM) and easy to maximize to more custom and harder to program for architectures.

That should not be impossible to do though: the home consoles will have the peak performance advantage over Lindbergh and you can keep a team or two, internal teams or external ones (Sumo Digital did not do a very bad job with the port of Outrun from Chihiro to Xbox 1 even though the system had much less RAM to play with than its arcade brother although they shared the same basic architecture), dedicated to optimize the engines and the art assets for the console ports.

I think SEGA is doing a lot of good moves since the merger with Sammy was effective and I think they should be complimented for that after all the shit they were justly hit by.

jarrod

Banned
I think it's a good direction, basically expanding on their experince with the Chihiro board while cutting out the Microsoft licensing middleman. LindBerg might not be comparable to 360/PS3 on paper, but the games so far look very comparable and the spec is upgradable. Seems like a perfect low cost solution for Sega, with plenty of room to grow. Plus it's single handedly killed any interest in Taito's Type-X, after that board looked to take Naomi's crown early on.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jarrod said:
I think it's a good direction, basically expanding on their experince with the Chihiro board while cutting out the Microsoft licensing middleman. LindBerg might not be comparable to 360/PS3 on paper, but the games so far look very comparable and the spec is upgradable. Seems like a perfect low cost solution for Sega, with plenty of room to grow. Plus it's single handedly killed any interest in Taito's Type-X, after that board looked to take Naomi's crown early on.

Yes, I think that focusing on Atomiswave as their low-end arcade board (still, a Dreamcast is not a N64 or a PSOne... good graphics can still be displayed on it, especially if we talk about 2D games on which I do not see what bad things you could say about it besides not having infinite RAM ;)) and LINDBERGH as their current high-performance board was a smart idea.

Reducing costs thanks to cheaper arcade boards' chipsets and easier to program for hardware too (which simplifies for the at least the engine programming part of the work a bit) gives a bit more budget left for the actual game creation.

Then those games can come down to the consoles and the PC's (PC<->Lindbergh ports should be relatively easy to make).

Jeffahn

The deal with IT is still on, so expect to see another "very high-end board" from Sega/IT. Could be another year or so though.

XXX

jarrod

Banned
Jeffahn said:
The deal with IT is still on, so expect to see another "very high-end board" from Sega/IT. Could be another year or so though.

Wasn't that just for Aurora though? I'm not so sure we're going to see another high end PVR solution...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ddkawaii said:
Does anyone know the starting cost for a baseline version of each of Sega's actively supported arcade boards (including Lindbergh).

How much is Sega's paying you mean ?

No, guesses can be made about Lindbergh given some manufacturer's discount on parts and taking some prices from the PC market, but there are many unknowns.

I would not put as an uncertain statement that a an arcade board powered by one of the consoles' hardware and with augmented main RAM (it is an arcade board) would cost less than Lindbergh ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
YellowAce said:
what's with the spoiler tag pana!?

This one was really no secret or "little Pana surprise" like the Xbox 360 thing", I just felt it was an "asides", something that was a bit on the "rambling" side of things and I did not feel like using a parenthesis there like ( ) or [ ] :p.

This one was really no secret or "little Pana surprise" like the Xbox 360 thing", I just felt it was an "asides", something that was a bit on the "rambling" side of things and I did not feel like using a parenthesis there like ( ) or [ ] :p.

;) :p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
YellowAce said:
well, remind me to kick you in the nuts the next time I see you in Italy.

:(.

I... I am s... sorry :(.

mawg-sorry.JPG

Is it okay if I forget to remind you that "thing" ?

;).

Jeffahn

jarrod said:
Wasn't that just for Aurora though? I'm not so sure we're going to see another high end PVR solution...

I've tried to gain some clarification from IT but the information I was given is that the deal for a new high-end board is still on as per the press release from March 2004.

The powervr site still says:

PowerVR Partners - SEGA Corporation
------------------------------------------

SEGA® Corporation is a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home, encompassing consumer business, amusement machine sales and amusement centre operations. SEGA, the leader in the arcade market, will use a new high-performance PowerVR graphics processor as the basis of its future arcade systems. SEGA may also supply system boards based on this processor to other leading amusement game companies.

Though I guess that "high-performance" doesn't necessarily translate into "high-end".

Top Bottom