• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the FPS Freek by KontrolFreek give me carpal tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CODMW2 thread convinced me to buy a pair of these.

thesciencesmaller2.jpg

"FPS Freek increases your accuracy in first-person shooter games like Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty and others. FPS Freek was designed and tested by professional gamers in tournaments across the Country. The results are clear – FPS Freek enhances aiming precision and increases game performance with a minimal learning curve.

The added analog stick length provides 40% more linear distance from full stop to stop. This gives you more leverage and increased precision without disturbing your natural gaming playing feel.

This product is patent pending and universally fits both the Xbox 360 and PS3 controller."

I had one attached to the right stick only for CODMW2 and my aiming improved greatly. So I go a week or so playing with it on, then I wake up one morning and my hand has lost strength and is unable to perform minor motor functions (picking stuff up). Also my hand is slightly numb 100% of the time as well my forearm feeling sore.

I get an ace wrist brace and have been rocking that out for about a week now. I have since taken off the FPS Freek off of my PS3 controller and my hand strength is returning!?!

Anybody else experience anything like this? Is this just a sign I am getting old (29)?
Serious post, keep your dirty thoughts to yourself :p

SmokyDave

Oof, I don't like the look of those, it wouldn't surprise me if the additional movement at the base of your thumb / wrist has in fact aggravated something. I've 6 old broken bones in my hands / wrists and they're aching just looking at those things.

On the plus side, if you've not been using them long it'll probably only be a temporary effect.

baultista

Banned
Those joysticks make the controller look awkward to hold. I wouldn't be shocked if the range of motion for your thumb was exceeded thanks to those things.

ToxicAdam

Carpal tunnel is due to repeated movements over a much longer period of time. It's more likely you just stretched out some tendons or caused minor nerve damage.

I would definitely never use it again. Ebay it so you don't get the temptation to use it anymore.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I own these things (and swear by them)...actually in retrospect you have me to blame for your current situation :lol

Those things make zero sense to use on the PS3, as the sticks are so close together, and with the added length you can't even push the two sticks towards each other without having to lift your thumbs in some awkward way.

For the 360, they're perfect and amazing.

They do say in the little box that they come with, though, to stop using them immediately if you find any problems with your hands due to using them. Can't say I've noticed any problems, but I have pretty big hands, so it's not really an issue for me as far as I can tell.

I'd say stop using them.

Those things look like they are horrifically bad for your hands. I'm pretty sure if it was comfortable to have your thumbs extended like that they would have manufactured them that way in the first place. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near those things.

RubxQub said:
I own these things (and swear by them)...actually in retrospect you have me to blame for your current situation :lol

You!!!!!!! lol

They worked quite well I must say though when I did use them.

RubxQub

LLaMa-Tech said:
You!!!!!!! lol

They worked quite well I must say though when I did use them.
They're definitely the bees knees, but I can't say the benefit of them outweighs your health :lol

I'd accept a lower kill/death ratio if it meant that I'd get to eat sushi properly well into my 60's.

I do love me some sushi, right now I wouldn't be able to use chopsticks :(

To be fair I do cradle my BlackBerry in my right hand and scroll on the screen with my thumb. I am guessing a combination of work, CrackBerryin, and gaming with the FPS Freek as the catalyst perhaps.

RubxQub

Megadragon15 said:
Those things look hideous. Why anyone would recommend them is even more bizarre.
Because they make aiming in FPS games amazingly more accurate?

baultista

Banned
RubxQub said:
Because they make aiming in FPS games amazingly more accurate?
I actually want to try these now. I'm just afraid of getting used to them, and then sucking hardcore when I play any splitscreen games w/ friends (they'll make me take them off)

Where did you get yours?

baultista said:
I actually want to try these now. I'm just afraid of getting used to them, and then sucking hardcore when I play any splitscreen games w/ friends (they'll make me take them off)

Where did you get yours?

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/

Have fun :p

I am no longer wearing my wrist brace thing, my hand is still somewhat tingly when I make a fist, however most of my hand strength has returned.

RubxQub

industrian said:
Using the PS3 controller for FPS games? lol.
I agree. The PS3 controller is pathetically gimped compared to the 360 controller for FPS games.

Anyone saying otherwise is either a Sony employee or certifiably insane. :D

In all reality, I played the first Resistance game and eventually got used to the PS3 controller, but I first learned FPS controls on the original XBox with Halo, so theirs probably a lot to be said for that design being my first and initial experience versus the PS2 controller.

I'm guessing whatever you used initially is what you prefer.

...but in regards to these FPSFreek things, I'll never use them on my PS3. The sticks almost touch when their on the controller and you can't push them towards each other without moving your thumbs in awkward ways to avoid hitting each other.

baultista

Banned
MedHead said:
Most games don't support the keyboard and mouse.
Are there any good FPS games that do?

If one of Killzone 2 or the Resistance games have support, I will go buy the console tonight :lol

RubxQub

baultista said:
Are there any good FPS games that do?

If one of Killzone 2 or the Resistance games have support, I will go buy the console tonight :lol
I don't know at all if KZ2 does...but I'm going to go ahead and assume that there is no way it possibly could without feeling incredibly horrible.

The way they are trying to emulate "weight" in that game means that using a KB/Mouse would be very jarring. You'd do things, and they wouldn't recreate 1:1 on the screen because the game is trying to simulate something that it thinks is "weight", aka slower ability to aim your gun.

baultista

Banned
RubxQub said:
I don't know at all if KZ2 does...but I'm going to go ahead and assume that there is no way it possibly could without feeling incredibly horrible.

The way they are trying to emulate "weight" in that game means that using a KB/Mouse would be very jarring. You'd do things, and they wouldn't recreate 1:1 on the screen because the game is trying to simulate something that it thinks is "weight", aka slower ability to aim your gun.
Huh... interesting.

I was talking to my friend about trading consoles for a month sometime before spring (after he'd finished playing all of his new PS3 games), but he ended up getting an Xbox360 for Christmas, and now he just wants to borrow my old games :lol

RubxQub said:
...but in regards to these FPSFreek things, I'll never use them on my PS3. The sticks almost touch when their on the controller and you can't push them towards each other without moving your thumbs in awkward ways to avoid hitting each other.

Did you use both FPS Freeks?

I only used the one on the right stick to help my aim.

RubxQub

LLaMa-Tech said:
Did you use both FPS Freeks?

I only used the one on the right stick to help my aim.
I used both for consistencies sake. Not sure how only using one would feel, but I don't like the sound of it! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom