• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did they use cel-shading in ICO?

CO_Andy

Me and my friend are having a debate whether Yorda is cel-shaded or not. From my perspective, it looks like they used cel-shading.

Any expert care to voice their opinion on this matter?

Yusaku

Have you guys even seen Ico?

Ico and Yorda definitely have some NPR (non-photorealistic rendering).

ico_screen016.jpg

RiZ III

Ico and Yorda both had nonconventional lighting models applied to them. It does look like they used celshading with a softer gradiant.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think you are both right and wrong. Visually, yorda has some kind of cell shading look going on her.

Cell shading is defined by abrupt and visible lines that separate lit from shadowed areas on a shaded surface. Yorda has just that, except that the separation line is not exactly abrupt but softened a bit instead.

However, this effect is probably produced by stencil shadowing that is used for self shadowing on Ico and Yorda, and it just happens that it looks the way it does on yorda, because of her plain white dress. If what I'm speculating here is true, then technically it's not cell shading, becuase then every game that uses this type of self shadowing (Doom 3, Silent Hill 3) could be said to be cell shaded, which just doesn't ring true with me.

Yusaku

Marconelly said:
I think you are both right and wrong. Visually, yorda has some kind of cell shading look going on her.

Cell shading is defined by abrupt and visible lines that separate lit from shadowed areas on a shaded surface. Yorda has just that, except that the separation line is not exactly abrupt but softened a bit instead.

However, this effect is probably produced by stencil shadowing that is used for self shadowing on Ico and Yorda, and it just happens that it looks the way it does on yorda, because of her plain white dress. If what I'm speculating here is true, then technically it's not cell shading, becuase then every game that uses this type of self shadowing (Doom 3, Silent Hill 3) could be said to be cell shaded, which just doesn't ring true with me.

There's no real point in making any distinction between something like Windwaker and Ico, because it's still the same technique. Adding a gradient between shading is trivial. 'Celshading' is really a misnomer, because making something look like it's cel animation is just one effect that can be created. Ico used the technique to give an ethereal appearance to Yorda.

I highly doubt stencil shadows are used. That's an extreme solution to a simple problem.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yusaku said:
There's no real point in making any distinction between something like Windwaker and Ico, because it's still the same technique.
Actually it's not.
But I completely agree about celshading being misnomer since it doesn't refer to any specific math of any kind, and people liberally apply it to vastly different shaders, but that's how the story usually is with popular terminology - it gets misused majority of the time.

I highly doubt stencil shadows are used. That's an extreme solution to a simple problem.
Most dynamic objects (characters, various boxes, doors etc.) use volume shadows in ICO. Don't see what's extreme about it either - PS2 was practically built to accelerate these kind of shadows, and it's faster at it then any console of the same generation.

The 'celshading' look you talk about is a sideeffect of how they use the shadows, and it's visible on ICO himself as well, just less obvious because he's not all white.

Off topic but I'm currently playing Ico. It has some fantastic visuals IMO. My jaw just drops every few minutes, there are so many surprises waiting to be seen.
And... something cool just happened. :)

Yeah, I had NO idea it was coming either. Just to stop some would-be curious folks, I'll edit my post if you edit yours.
We'll save someone the tragedy like how I had the ending of MGS3 ruined for me because I got a little highlight happy.

Top Bottom