• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Wii Sports effectively save Nintendo?

Did Wii Sports save nintendo?

• Total voters

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't see a F wii option?

Almost lost all respect for Nintendo with the wii.
I was on the PS3 train as of 2008 but when I look back at the tail end of the Wii era, I can only laugh. Nintendo exhausted every single ounce of my good will towards them, and I tried my best to stick with the Wii to the bitter end.

These days I can appreciate the Wii for what it is and I'm a total fanboy for the Wii U but I still don't have any good will towards Nintendo. The Wii broke me and I'll never be back in Nintendo's camp.

Astral Dog

The Wii was groundbreaking at the time, but no Wii Sports alone didn't saved Nintendo, it was a combination of things, DS, appealing software, something 'new' and strategy that doesn’t focus on graphics as much as attracting a mainstream audience who don't play games.

Wii's gimmick helped sell Wii Sports not the other way around.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Made them a lot of money, sure. But the direction they took with Gamecube died. Gamecube was their best system imo, it was their last console that wasn't complete gimmick with fisher price toy controllers. I could list like 50 must play games for that console. Most of the Wii games were garbo except for like Galaxy 1 & 2 (still preferred Sunshine to Galaxy).

How did they drive themselves into a corner with the Switch though? It seems like a logical progression with Nintendo as game development costs increase.
Clarification is needed, sales wise, they obviously didn't.

I was thinking spec corner or thermal corner (the way apple refer to it with the trashcan mac pro) meaning they can't easily up the specs because parts won't fit/most are not suitable.

With the switch this has proven to not be a bad place to be, but IMO it's a position that can always backfire. It backfired with the Wii U, who was downclocked months before launch because of the thermals, this because it was set in stone that the console had to use the Wii footprint, that being it's volume limited to the height and width of 3 dvd boxes.

From a Nintendo standpoint, it makes perfect sense, I remember Iwata in the early 2010's saying they needed to maximize their development pipeline by having handheld and home consoles share the architecture and software tech. Switch is "it", straightforward and looking into stuff like the Apple M1 straightforward even. But the Switch at this point is very underpowered as well.
I can see Nintendo doing some sort of triple hybrid next gen with portable, tv, and VR.
I don't see them getting into VR at this point. But we'll see.
Switch is a console.
Of course, but right now it's a console that effectively runs the equivalent of handheld versions of all games who are not made from the ground up for it. and it uses a handheld SoC.

It's getting long in the tooth, for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom