• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did your opinion about digital copies changed?

Did your opinion about digital copies changed?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand your reasoning.
Dying Light 2 is also a story based game which story concludes...
Yes but there will be expansions and post launch content for years where as with God of War Ragnarok, the current story line concludes and there won't be any DLC or expansions. Me going digital over physical is all based on if there's expansions and post launch support. If there isn't any, then I go with the physical version.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes but there will be expansions and post launch content for years where as with God of War Ragnarok, the current story line concludes and there won't be any DLC or expansions. Me going digital over physical is all based on if there's expansions and post launch support. If there isn't any, then I go with the physical version.
oh I see. OK. probably no dlc for ragnarok planned if I had to guess

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yes, will buy mainly digital on PS5 and XSX. Big reason for this is that… let‘s be honest… the games on the discs are worthless by now. You‘ll always need internet access to patch them into shape and form. It‘s shit alright but it is what it is.

luffie

No, physical is still preferable in the end.

As games are getting bigger and bigger, downloading them will just get crazier. I wish I could start a game without having to login to something every single time.

And as digital stores get more robust, soon you have to login to this store for this game and that store for that game. Meanwhile you can install a pirated copy in 5 mins.

MetalRain

PS3 launched 2006, not sure if network service was available from the start, but it has been over 10 years, I guess close to 15 years. I think they have served us well.

I don't mind if digital games are not forever, if I can play them for several years.

Last edited:

scydrex

I brought some games digitally. I purchased yesterday Metro Exodus with both DLC for $12-13 the physical PS5 disc was $34 new. If i see a game that digital is half or less than physical on Amazon for example then yeah i buy it. If the price is the same or $5 to $10 or less then no. I prefer to wait for the physical to lower the price or buy the physical.

Yes, will buy mainly digital on PS5 and XSX. Big reason for this is that… let‘s be honest… the games on the discs are worthless by now. You‘ll always need internet access to patch them into shape and form. It‘s shit alright but it is what it is.

Sure buddy. Physical Games are worthless because you need to download patches.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

I tell you something we patched games back to the ps2 era and this statement is still bullshit to this day. Hopefully you and your digital only fanboy friends will enjoy the bright future where you have to download every game from the store for horrendous prices. But when this day happens don't complain about game prices ok??

Nydius

Big reason for this is that… let‘s be honest… the games on the discs are worthless by now. You‘ll always need internet access to patch them into shape and form.

The 1.0 version of Cyberpunk 2077 on the disk is definitely shit but it's the game is playable whether or not you get patches. Halo Infinite's disk doesn't even contain the entire game and only has 18GB of total data on it, yet I was still able to trade in my physical version at my old local shop for $30. Can you do anything with a fully purchased digital version of Halo Infinite other than look at it, lament that it takes up space when you no longer play it, then delete it?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
oh I see. OK. probably no dlc for ragnarok planned if I had to guess
Yeah, im expecting Ragnarok to conclude the current story line and then the next GOW will be a new mythology in my opinion. Looking forward to Ragnarok but once I complete it, it's gone.

jorgejjvr

i understand the negatives more now than ever...

but on the daily, when i want to play a game now....i mean, still digital for me, no space to keep adding boxes around the house. Also easy to just press play on a game an not change discs

on the xbox side, im gamepass only...thats it. So convenience for me beats over all the negatives, and yeah, i dont need to fully own my games

If the big 3 had day 1 game subs, i would be sub only

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sure buddy. Physical Games are worthless because you need to download patches.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

I tell you something we patched games back to the ps2 era and this statement is still bullshit to this day. Hopefully you and your digital only fanboy friends will enjoy the bright future where you have to download every game from the store for horrendous prices. But when this day happens don't complain about game prices ok??
I don't care honestly. I'll just buy them again for a couple of bucks or stream them... or whatever. And if everything fails and it gets out of hand (which I cannot imagine) I'll just set the black sails. Problem solved.

Soosa

Banned
Yes, I was very pro-physical before but now I basically wouldn’t buy a boxed game unless it was super cheap and I just wanted to play through it the one time. I don’t want game boxes lying around my house.

And yeah, I totally get the issue with “never owning your collection” but:

- I don’t want a “collection”, I want a box under my tv and a controller I can stick in a drawer
- The convenience of having everything right there in a menu just works for me
- I’m not all that into replaying games these days, my backlog is huge as it is
- If I haven’t played a particular game by the time it is erased from digital history then I was probably never going to play it

Yup.

The disc is just a means of delivery, not any real proof of ownership anymore.

And the carbon footprint of that delivery method is insane compared to sending some 1’s and 0’s down a cable.

"I’m not all that into replaying games these days, my backlog is huge as it is "

But doesnt this point actually go against digital games?

I mean, you can sell physical games if you dont replay them, but when you buy digital games -> 100% of your money is gone, when you dont replay them.

As an example buying games new on launch.

New digital games = usually 69,90€
New physical games = usually 49,90-59,90€ (at launch week, then it goes up 10-20€ in my country at least)

sell physical game within 2 weeks = I get usually 40-50€
sell phyiscal game within 2-3 months = i get usually 25-45€

So in the worst case digital game costs 20€ more at launch while physical game can be sold with 5-10€ loss in the best case.

Even if using 69,90€ for both versions, physical games basically cost 10-30€ to play & resell

From financial standpoint digital games just dont make sense, until they are discounted to 5-20€ range, when they cost about the same as what you lose at buying & selling physical games.

Then there is the possibility to buy games used within 1-2 weeks from launch for 35-45€, play it, sell it for what you paid or even few euros more than that.

I have done this for years or even few decades till now, and it is almost always easy to find used like new copy for 35-45€ soon after the launch + it is really easy to re-sell them. Take 1 pic, add it to online fleemarket/auction, someone buys it, insert it to prepaid letter and send it next time going out. So it does take only few minutes of active time. (no pickups, just ship by postal service and buyer pays the fees)

financially physical games are superior, because artificial limitations (cant sell or give away digital games)

as user experience digital games are nicer, no need to switch discs etc.

I personally use both, I get digital if it costs what is it worth aka 5-15€, otherwise I get physical version from launch week sale or used copy and sell or keep it.

with buying & selling at least some of the games, gamer can easily play like 6 times as many games / year than someone whom buys them full price digitally.

Tams

No, I still buy games physically if I can.

I do buy games digitally, especially if in sales, but I very much see them as potentially temporary. I have no illusions as to actually owning a copy.

One issue though, is that games are increasingly patched or added to post-launch, so any physical copies are likely to be at best not complete.

All that said, I really just like having something physical to show for my purchase. Preservation wise, there's always the high seas.

I'm not into trading-in games, nor buying them second hand, but that is one major advantage of physical games, and I can see how it benefits some people a lot (I have one friend who is very into it).

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

"I’m not all that into replaying games these days, my backlog is huge as it is "

But doesnt this point actually go against digital games?

I mean, you can sell physical games if you dont replay them, but when you buy digital games -> 100% of your money is gone, when you dont replay them.

As an example buying games new on launch.

New digital games = usually 69,90€
New physical games = usually 49,90-59,90€ (at launch week, then it goes up 10-20€ in my country at least)

sell physical game within 2 weeks = I get usually 40-50€
sell phyiscal game within 2-3 months = i get usually 25-45€

So in the worst case digital game costs 20€ more at launch while physical game can be sold with 5-10€ loss in the best case.

Even if using 69,90€ for both versions, physical games basically cost 10-30€ to play & resell

From financial standpoint digital games just dont make sense, until they are discounted to 5-20€ range, when they cost about the same as what you lose at buying & selling physical games.

Then there is the possibility to buy games used within 1-2 weeks from launch for 35-45€, play it, sell it for what you paid or even few euros more than that.

I have done this for years or even few decades till now, and it is almost always easy to find used like new copy for 35-45€ soon after the launch + it is really easy to re-sell them. Take 1 pic, add it to online fleemarket/auction, someone buys it, insert it to prepaid letter and send it next time going out. So it does take only few minutes of active time. (no pickups, just ship by postal service and buyer pays the fees)

financially physical games are superior, because artificial limitations (cant sell or give away digital games)

as user experience digital games are nicer, no need to switch discs etc.

I personally use both, I get digital if it costs what is it worth aka 5-15€, otherwise I get physical version from launch week sale or used copy and sell or keep it.

with buying & selling at least some of the games, gamer can easily play like 6 times as many games / year than someone whom buys them full price digitally.
I very rarely buy a game day 1, extremely rarely. And I I do, I’d usually buy it boxed, finish it, then trade it in as you described.

Most of my digital collection was bought at a heavy discount.

Guilty_AI

I very rarely buy a game day 1, extremely rarely. And I I do, I’d usually buy it boxed, finish it, then trade it in as you described.

Most of my digital collection was bought at a heavy discount.
Same, almost all my games were bought under $20, only very few above that. Honestly can't temember last time i spent more than $40 in a single game

Last edited:
Idk, there are a bunch of things I don't like about the present idea of the digital future but there is a lot to like about it, especially in the aspect of conveniency. I've been digital-only with PC games for more than a decade, and for consoles since 2012, so I can't really complain about fully embracing it. However, what I don't like is the lack of gaming preservation by publishers and producers alike, with all the server-side things, it's quite catatonic to think that some games should already have perished forever if not for gamers going out of their way to brute force a backed-up version of old games, emulation, or plain ol' piracy. I don't trust companies with gaming preservation when they treat every single game as disposable goodies and not the art they truly are.

I'm I gonna be a 90-year-old man in a nursing home, shitting myself in my adult diapers, and think, "Nurse! What do you mean Steam is down!? Where's that digital copy of Tomb Raider 2013!?"

No, I'm not. I'm more concerned about enjoying things in the here and now. And for that, digital is fine

Arthimura

I'm I gonna be a 90-year-old man in a nursing home, shitting myself in my adult diapers, and think, "Nurse! What do you mean Steam is down!? Where's that digital copy of Tomb Raider 2013!?"

No, I'm not. I'm more concerned about enjoying things in the here and now. And for that, digital is fine
You should be aiming to be a chad muscular 90-year-old man who doesn't need adult diapers, living at home and booting your GOG version of Baldur's Gate bought in 2012, despite corporations trying to revoke your digital ownership without success.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

100% digital, but I think I might rebuy my most liked games at the end of this generation for cheap, just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
You should be aiming to be a chad muscular 90-year-old man who doesn't need adult diapers, living at home and booting your GOG version of Baldur's Gate bought in 2012, despite corporations trying to revoke your digital ownership without success.
I have a shit ton of retro games ranging from the NES all the way to the Wii. All physical copies. Those games alone will be enough for me to play and have fun when I'm 90 -- whether I'm a frail old man shitting my diapers in a nursing home, or a mega-chad banging 3 chicks at a time every single day in my big house.

I don't get the anti digital group...been buying digital only since 360 and can easily play a good portions of my games that I probably would have lost. i get being pro disc, but anti digital is a silly position to take in 2022.

Guilty_AI

Funny you mention it since i have a bunch of GOG Baldurs Gates installers saved in different devices. For emergency purposes.

Last edited:

schaft0620

I have between 3,000 to 4,000 physical games and I will admit that it is so much easier to work with Digital games in VR, you don't have to take the headset off.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No.

The Wii is the only example of actually losing access to downloadable games, and it's still going to last you longer to DL a game before the store closes than your DVD of that game will.

And those are all failures of specific companies, from a country that didn't really seem to "get" modern software architectures, that they will be avoiding in the future. And don't seem to "get" how to properly do upgrades while leaving old systems in place.

Companies that knew what they were doing? We haven't lost access to any downloads. Every steam game I've ever purchased for over 15 years is still available to me as is every XBox game.

Last far longer than any physical media from that era. Blu-Ray is much much better but still can be damaged.. my digital downloads aren't ever damaged.

I've been all digital since the moment the consoles started allowing me to be and it's never failed me while I've had numerous physical copies of games "Fail" me.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I'm mostly digital myself, but this thread kinda confuses me. Are people expecting these games stores tired to specific consoles to be open forever?

I'm fine with Digital on PC. Console? Hell nah.
Steam has been pretty good with refunds and sales, and GOG is good for drm free stuff. Humble bundles are ridiculous like the recent Ukraine benefit.

One problem with PC digital nowadays is the ridiculous number of launchers, as well as if you buy something on Steam when you boot the game up you might just be prompted to download another launcher i.e. ubisoft games on steam.

Also Denuuuuvo, got to put on the eyepatch for any game that has that unfortunately.

PC digital is far from perfect, but I will still buy digital on PC for a good price / if the product is free from BS.

Console digital... lol.

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
Still prefer physical. With all the acquisitions -- never know what will happen to access to brands. People can't tell you differently when you own a physical copy.

Top Bottom