• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Dies Irae English Localization Project!" Kickstarter (Steam w/ Vita stretch goal)

The KS is now below 104k.

Lol.

On the plus side, the backer count isn't dropping substantially, which suggests it's just people dropping their pledges to $1.

That means people still care, they're just peeved that things are turning out like this. Which can be salvaged, but maybe not with this campaign.

Thank you for your comments concerning the PS Vita stretch goals. With all of the comments from the backers, we will continue to look into it.

As for new rewards, there will be an update tomorrow introducing add-ons. They have been a long time in coming, and we apologize for that, but we hope to keep them coming!

We will certainly be looking into adjusting the stretch goals. We thank you for the comment and ask for your patience.

After being adamant that the stretch goals were reasonable, it sounds like the minus $2000 they've had today alongside all the complaining in the comments has finally gotten through to them. Let's see where things end up in a few days.

The PS Vita version was not included in the initial development schedule. We are extremely thankful for backers' interest in a PS Vita version, however, due to development and download site expenses, we regrettably have to limit the stretch goal to only backers who pledged an amount of $100.00 USD or more.

This makes absolutely no sense unless they're later selling the Vita version for $100 as well

The stretch goal is the budget for the port, not each individual Vita backer's pledge
Show me the receipts, I want a good laugh.

q7rS1lo.png

"Good enough". Also Nekopara is great

This makes absolutely no sense unless they're later selling the Vita version for $100 as well

The stretch goal is the budget for the port, not each individual Vita backer's pledge

Bu-bu-bu.

They're selling the game in two halves. Clearly it's going to be 2 x $40 game = $80. Plus $20 "early adopter" tax.

Just like they're selling the PC version for a similar price.

It's unclear also as to what exactly the $100 tier contains if the Vita goal is met.

Do $100 backers get the physical PC version, etc. and the Vita version, or just the Vita version in its place?

Edit: Wait - $100 and digital only on Vita?! Oh boy.

Yeah saw that guy on twitter, and had a good laugh reading that conversation.

Saphirax

Lol. That's quite some kickback they've gotten from what should've been a pledge-driving update.

I can see now why they're 're-evaluating' things, lol. Ludicrous.

Also:

Poor guy.

Feel bad for the translators and am surely not the only one to echo RS' sentiments. Light needs to get a grip.

Edit: This is a rollercoaster; the KS jumped to 105k and now it's back to 103k.

gpn

Am I reading this right - light is the original Japanese creator of Dies Irae, and yet they're sabotaging the campaign? That doesn't bode well for the project even if it funds. I think it's time to drop my pledge down to $1 and keep a wary eye on the campaign.

Too bad all the VN campaigns aren't run as well as Muv Luv and Libra.

Verelios

Haha, that's great shade. Dropped my contribution down to $1 since this is ridiculous

The only other KS that tried to lock the Vita port in a higher tier was Root Double and even then, it was from the get-go and not behind a stretch goal.

Kinda makes sense this one would do something weird, it's being done by the same translator/s (not sure how much input they have on the Kickstarter though).

Bu-bu-bu.

They're selling the game in two halves. Clearly it's going to be 2 x $40 game = $80. Plus $20 "early adopter" tax.

Just like they're selling the PC version for a similar price.

I assumed the PC version would be two $20 games, makes a lot more sense given the current pricing of VN's on Steam.

Kinda makes sense this one would do something weird, it's being done by the same translator/s (not sure how much input they have on the Kickstarter though).

I assumed the PC version would be two $20 games, makes a lot more sense given the current pricing of VN's on Steam.
Most high-profile full-length VNs on Steam seem to be at least $35 before sales.

Most high-profile full-length VNs on Steam seem to be at least $35 before sales.

Yeah that's what I meant, if split into two $20 purchases its pricing for the total package would be right in line with other games of similar budget like Steins;Gate. It would also make more sense that the kickstarter digital copy pledge would be a $5 discount instead of a $45 discount.

Shizuka

I really wish people would remove pledges and let this first campaign fail. This is going in all sorts of wrong directions and Light won't learn anything if they keep thinking they'll manage to get it funded.

Saphirax

I really wish people would remove pledges and let this first campaign fail. This is going in all sorts of wrong directions and Light won't learn anything if they keep thinking they'll manage to get it funded.

People desperately want the game so they'll tolerate anything to get it funded. But when even the translators want the KS to fail...yikes.

Knurek

Considering the last few days, unless a miracle happens, it will fail no matter how many people remove their pledges.

i'm totally confused.

I didn't know this one but the enthusiam of several people on GAF pointed me toward this kickstarter when it launched , but several IRL problem prevented me from making a pledge , including christmas things i needed to take care of.

But that's stuff is behind me.

Now i'm actually looking at the kickstarter page and i'm very confused

Why is the vita stretch goal only available for those who pledge 100$ ?
Why is the name in credits for the 1500 $ tier ? In many cases , those are a "thank you" for those who back the game up to a certain point but in all the previous kickstarter i've been part of , that line was way lower . So those 5 guys will get a mention but not those who contributed less ?

I'm seeing talk of people wanting this kickstarter to end or to fail ? Did i miss something very important that happenned behind the scenes ? ( bear in mind that i wasn't following this kickstarter during the first part of it ) and reading the first 2 GAF pages left me kinda confused.

I'm actually surprised by this turn of event since i've backed root double almost blind after a lot of praise i've heard ( including on GAF ) and i ended up loving it.. what was different this time ?

Should i contribute ? ( i know i shouldn't asking this question but i'm kinda confused right now )

People desperately want the game so they'll tolerate anything to get it funded. But when even the translators want the KS to fail...yikes.

The argument is there's no guarantee Light will launch a new campaign if this one fails which I kinda understand. But it's still not enough for me to be ripped off with the current campaign.

Now people are really overreacting. There's no reason to want the campaign to fail unless you only want to play this on the vita. And they're not very far from the goal so the idea that this is doomed is not reality.

Saphirax

The argument is there's no guarantee Light will launch a new campaign if this one fails which I kinda understand. But it's still not enough for me to be ripped off with the current campaign.

I understand that, but there's also no guarantee the game would be out in a timely manner and that it'd work as it should. Given how little light cares about the whole KS nothing would surprise me,

If they made just one mistake it'd be alright, but they made several and they're aware but they still refuse to fix them; launching the KS during the holidays, hiring incompetent PR, not looking into how kickstarters actually work, lack of communication, crappy rewards, not taking any advice from their Prefundia and actually changing things for the worse etc. They're also either straight out BSing with the whole Vita stretch goal or they just put the goal there to milk money from the vita fanbase. At this point, I don't think we'd get the vita port even if the KS magically reached the stretch goal. They just don't care.

I understand that, but there's also no guarantee the game would be out in a timely manner and that it'd work as it should. Given how little light cares about the whole KS nothing would surprise me,

If they made just one mistake it'd be alright, but they made several and they're aware but they still refuse to fix them; launching the KS during the holidays, hiring incompetent PR, not looking into how kickstarters actually work, lack of communication, crappy rewards, not taking any advice from their Prefundia and actually changing things for the worse etc. They're also either straight out BSing with the whole Vita stretch goal or they just put the goal there to milk money from the vita fanbase. At this point, I don't think we'd get the vita port even if the KS magically reached the stretch goal. They just don't care.

What does bad PR have to do with the quality of the work on the game? It's not even from the same people.

This. I dont get it either. I mean, what matters is that the game is funded. Why do people wants the campaign to be run again ?
I get it from Vita fans, but everyone else getting up in arms is a bit much.

What does bad PR have to do with the quality of the work on the game? It's not even from the same people.

I don't. I mean, wishing for a campaign to fail because your platform of choice may not get the game is selfish af.

Knurek

Should i contribute ? ( i know i shouldn't asking this question but i'm kinda confused right now )

Up to you, $1 to secure backerkit access in the unlikely possibility it gets funded should be okay.
Unless light treating you like a moneypurse annoys you too much, that is.

Saphirax

I was mostly referring to light. They're the ones who keep changing things for the worse. We were supposed to get a good update that would turn things around, but light changed their mind.

So far the translators and the fans are putting in the most effort while light does...whatever it is they do. At the end of the day they're the ones who get to decide and so far they've been doing a piss poor job of managing things.

Shizuka

The handling of this campaign has been disastrous. It's the first time a visual novel KS had this many issues behind it. Both Light and the PR aren't recognizing the issues voiced by the community during the Prefundia and since the campaign has been launched. I care about the campaign, if they're asking for my money. If they don't handle it properly, I won't give them my money. If they handle it this poorly, they might as well get their shit together and relaunch it after that.

That's my opinion, in any case.

Quixzlizx

According to a post earlier in the thread, the bonehead decisions are coming from the developers rather than the PR team. So I guess the reasoning would be that it's more likely light will release quality products for the Western market if they understood it at all.

According to a post earlier in the thread, the bonehead decisions are coming from the developers rather than the PR team. So I guess the reasoning would be that it's more likely light will release quality products for the Western market if they understood it at all.

There's no real connection between changing stretch goals and releasing a subpar product.

It's the first time a visual novel KS had this many issues behind it.
There have been much worse VN Kickstarters, you know this! And treating some guy venting in discord as some window into all the inner workings of the Kickstarter is probably not the best idea either.

Quixzlizx

There's no real connection between changing stretch goals and releasing a subpar product.

There have been much worse VN Kickstarters, you know this! And treating some guy venting in discord as some window into all the inner workings of the Kickstarter is probably not the best idea either.

I don't even care about the stretch goals personally, since I'd be playing it on PC, but I'm going to disagree and say that I believe that a competently run project is more likely to end well.

Saphirax

No one said that and it's not just the stretch goals. What Shizuka and I are saying is that trusting light with our money, when they've shown how little they care about the whole thing, isn't to our liking.

No one said that and it's not just the stretch goals. What Shizuka and I are saying is that trusting light with our money, when they've shown how little they care about the whole thing, isn't to our liking.

The thing people are using to blame Light specifically is that discord chat screenshot of a translator complaining about the stretch goals. But yeah, if you don't trust the campaign then it makes sense not to contribute. The campaign has been a mess, but as I see it, most of the issues are overblown if you're not intent on playing it on the Vita.

Top Bottom