• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difference between fried chicken and chicken-fried chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowdyReverb

Was having this discussion at lunch. The way I understand it is that chicken-fried steak came about at a means of deep frying steak with an egg and flour batter, and chicken-fried chicken is the same thing, but with the meat substituted. Fried chicken, on the other hand would imply fried skin or breaking, right?

entremet

Your title will cause some confusion :)

It's only reason it is called chicken fried steak is because the crunchy batter used is similar--hence chicken fried steak. Also, it traditionally uses a white gravy.

But many things are fried in a similar fashion and with a similar batter and are not called "chicken fried" . Chicken fried steak is a very specific dish. It's not a technique.

A quick Google search reveals that there really isn't a distinction, except "chicken fried chicken" on a menu with both may imply boneless chicken

jond76

Banned
Fried chicken would be KFC, Frenchys, Popeye's, etc. Chicken fried chicken is usually the breast that's been flattened and breaded and fried, usually served with white gravy, mashed potatoes...

Similar in execution, way different in presentation.

maxcriden

To add to the confusion, restaurants nowadays often refer to fried chicken breast as fried chicken, rather than calling it chicken-fried chicken. You don't see that term too often these days.

RowdyReverb

Your title will cause some confusion :)

It's only reason it is called chicken fried steak is because the crunchy batter used is similar--hence chicken fried steak. Also, it traditionally uses a white gravy.
I know, the question came up from somebody who is ESL and had know idea why we called it something so strange as "chicken-fried chicken"

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I was under the impression that chicken-fried chicken was basically fried chicken that's prepared like chicken-fried steak. Boneless chicken with white gravy and mashed potatoes.

Media

Chicken fried chicken is just a chicken breast prepared the same way chicken fried steak is. I've found that only the south/southwest knows how to do chicken fried steak, though, so that might be why people are confused.

RowdyReverb

Chicken fried chicken is just a chicken breast prepared the same way chicken fried steak is. I've found that only the south/southwest knows how to do chicken fried steak, though, so that might be why people are confused.
This was my line of thinking as well, but the person I was explaining it to was also unfamiliar with chicken fried steak, which made explaining it more complicated.

Hazmat

Fried chicken is a general term that can cover any chicken that is fried, but typically refers to bone-in chicken that is deep fried.

Chicken-fried chicken is a play/variation on chicken-fried steak. Chicken fried steak is a large, thin, boneless piece of beef that is breaded and fried. Chicken-fried chicken is the same thing done with a boneless pounded-out chicken breast for people who either prefer chicken to beef or are looking to make an incredibly unhealthy meal marginally less so by replacing red meat with chicken. CFS and CFC are served in identical fashion with gravy and sides.

Media

This was my line of thinking as well, but the person I was explaining it to was also unfamiliar with chicken fried steak, which made explaining it more complicated.

Yeah, everywhere I've lived outside of NM what they call chicken fried steak is bullshit frozen prebreaded patties that are then covered in gravy. Shit they used to serve in high school lunchrooms

This is chicken fried steak. A real steak, pounded flat, breaded with flour and eggs and not fucking crumbs.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/566*315/cotton+patch.jpg

Fried chicken would be KFC, Frenchys, Popeye's, etc. Chicken fried chicken is usually the breast that's been flattened and breaded and fried, usually served with white gravy, mashed potatoes...

Similar in execution, way different in presentation.

Yep. This right here.

Also the CFC I've had is often tenderized with a mallet similar to the CFS because the point isn't really to have a nice looking cut of meat, it's just supposed to be tender and breaded easily.

Also: now I'm hungry. Thanks OP. 😣

phanphare

Banned
fried chicken is your typical bone-in fried chicken

chicken fried chicken is essentially chicken fried steak made with chicken instead of steak. it has a different type of breading, is boneless, and is usually served on top of mashed potatoes with white gravy.

Zoe

To add to the confusion, restaurants nowadays often refer to fried chicken breast as fried chicken, rather than calling it chicken-fried chicken. You don't see that term too often these days.

I expect a fried chicken breast to be bone-in, as opposed to chicken fried chicken which is boneless and flattened.

Iorv3th

Chicken Fried Chicken is usually a cutlet like a breast or something breaded in the same manner as a chicken fried steak with gravy on it. It's boneless.

I think your the only one confused. fried chicken breast is still fried chicken. Chicken-Fried Chicken is a distinct thing very different from normal fried chicken. Different breading, no skin.

hermit7

Is chicken fried steak typically pound flat for tenderization?

I would imagine that would be the distinction with regular fried chicken as well (as well as being boneless)

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Is chicken fried steak typically pound flat for tenderization?

I would imagine that would be the distinction with regular fried chicken as well (as well as being boneless)

It's also flattened so it's cooked evenly. Otherwise you'd end up with burnt batter and raw chicken in the middle.

Regular fried chicken is often fried in a pressure cooker (to reduce cooking time) or fried with a cover/lid so that you don't lose heat and the chicken simultaneously steams and fries.

maxcriden

Chicken Fried Chicken is usually a cutlet like a breast or something breaded in the same manner as a chicken fried steak with gravy on it. It's boneless.

I think your the only one confused. fried chicken breast is still fried chicken. Chicken-Fried Chicken is a distinct thing very different from normal fried chicken. Different breading, no skin.

I expect a fried chicken breast to be bone-in, as opposed to chicken fried chicken which is boneless and flattened.

Oh! Yeah, I guess I was confused after all. Thanks to you both for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom