• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wanted to make a thread to cover and discuss all digital board games, and especially to have a meeting place for organizing online play. This thread covers digital versions of (mostly new) board games -- the kind of high-quality modern tabletop games you can find discussed on boardgamegeek or in the tabletop board-game thread.

Below you'll find lists of what I consider to be some of the best iOS, Android, and PC board-game experiences. But all of these experiences are much better with Friends, so if you're on iOS feel free to look at the NeoGAF board-game community spreadsheet to find people to add. If you're looking to try things out on other platforms, feel free to use the thread to see if you can find folks to join you. Synchronous play can be a bit tough to coordinate but thankfully about 85% of these games provide adult-friendly asynchronous modes.

We also often have GAF tournaments in some of the most popular games, so keep an eye on the thread for those. Without further ado, the lists!

Best iOS Board Games
1. Carcassonne: The original and still the best. A simple tile-laying game with hidden depth (especially with expansions) and excellent asynchronous multiplayer.
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

2. Agricola: More in the deep end in terms of complexity, but an incredible adaptation of one of the best euro games of all time. Manage your family and work assignments and try to build up your farm through improvements and occupations while avoiding ever-looming starvation. Top-notch async as with all Playdek titles.

3. Lords of Waterdeep: A lighter worker-placement game with a D&D theme. Great intro to euro-style games for people coming from D&D, Magic, or more fantasy-themed gaming. Done by Playdek so async is great.

4. Summoner Wars: Two player mediumweight fantasy strategy war game. Construct a deck of minions and put them into battle on the board. Really quite for a quick wargaming-type fix without all the rules complexity, but with cool fantasy races and abilities.

5. Lost Cities: Made by the Carcassonne gang, an even lighter two-player card game that involves taking gambles on certain suits as you try to play cards incrementally to each suit. Like Carcassonne, deceptively deep and fun.
Honorable Mentions: Eclipse, Small World 2, Neuroshima Hex, Yomi

Best Android Board Games
x. Summoner Wars: Same as iOS version, and there's even cross-platform! Probably the top game on Android now.
1. Small World 2: Risk uber-lite and quick in a goofy fantasy setting.
2. Neuroshima Hex: Two player hex-based wargame with variable player and unit powers. Similar to Summoner Wars but with about an extra half-step of complexity and a nice cyberpunk theme.
3. Ticket to Ride: The classic simple gateway game in app form! Collect suits of train cards and play them to the board to create routes and complete secret missions.
4. Carcassonne: Not quite as good as the iOS version (totally different developer), but increasingly coming into its own. Definitely worth it if you don't already have it on iOS.
5. Alhambra: A little bit on the kludgy side in terms of implementation, but the game is a great one where you collect currency to buy buildings and build up your city.

Honorable Mentions: Mr. Jack Pocket, Kingdom Builder

Best PC Board Games
While the below are among the best individual applications for PC, PC actually has the best selection of digital board games on websites that host many games: boardgamearena (Seasons, Race for the Galaxy, Puerto Rico), yucata (Stone Age, Roll through the Ages, Balloon Cup), and boiteajeux (Agricola, Dungeon Petz, Tzolk'in)
1. Memoir 44 Online: Great implementation of the classic super-light wargame that introduced many eurogamers to wargaming.
2. Ticket to Ride: See above.
3. Small World 2: See above.

Card Boy

Banned
Stuff missing from OP which i would include.

• Nightfall
  • Foodfight
  • Cabals
  • Shadow Era
  • Kard Combat
  • Spectromancer
  • Might and Magic: Duel of Champions
  • Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil
  • Hive
  • Army of Frogs
  • Tanto Cuore
  • Ticket to Ride (under iOS)
  • Eradicate
  • Can't Stop
  • New World Colony
  • Hero Academy
  • BattleCON
  • Bang!
  • Card City Nights
  • Magic 2014/15
  • Tabletop Simulator

Also the Witcher: Adventure Game is coming out on PC

The-Witcher-Adventure-Game.jpg

Trailer here

No date officially announced but i believe Magic 2015 is coming out at the end of the month judging from the past release date of previous games and Magic 2014 is on sale.

drproton

VASSAL:
Vassal is a game engine for building and playing online adaptations of board games and card games. Play live on the Internet or by email. Vassal runs on all platforms, and is free, open-source software.

There are a lot of modules freely available under the terms of the creators and publishers of the games. Some require that you own the physical version of the game and the modules do not include elements like card text.

Quasar

I rather liked the iOS version of Titan. Though being a fan of the boardgame might bias me a bit. Even if I do miss rolling all those dice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stuff missing from OP which i would include.

• Nightfall
  • Foodfight
  • Cabals
  • Shadow Era
  • Kard Combat
  • Spectromancer
  • Might and Magic: Duel of Champions
  • Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil
  • Hive
  • Army of Frogs
  • Tanto Cuore
  • Ticket to Ride (under iOS)
  • Eradicate
  • Can't Stop
  • New World Colony
  • Hero Academy
  • BattleCON
  • Bang!
  • Card City Nights
  • Magic 2014/15
  • Tabletop Simulator

Also the Witcher: Adventure Game is coming out on PC
Yeah a lot of those are cool. NB that I've tried to omit "board-game-like" digital games that have no tabletop analogue. It just makes the thread impossibly broad, and in the last thread those seemed to be the games to get the least interest anyway when we tried to do everything.

I do hope Witcher is good -- kind of a dream combo for me in terms of FFG+Witcher but we'll see.

carcassonne (iOS) is the highest quality mobile game i've every played, can't get enough of it

i hope there is another major expansion released by year's end, preferably abbey and mayor (although i'd take king and scout

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
carcassonne (iOS) is the highest quality mobile game i've every played, can't get enough of it

i hope there is another major expansion released by year's end, preferably abbey and mayor (although i'd take king and scout

They've made really good choices so far. I really just wish that team would work on other games. Lost Cities is good but it fell short of Carcassonne even just in the sense of app features. (Tweet instead of persistent in-game chat? Boooo.)

Nice work on the new thread.

BoardGameArena has an async mode now. Is anyone using it to play Through The Ages?

I'm looking forward to Twilight Struggle coming from Playdek. It will partly make up for losing Ascension at the end of the year.
Really liking the new Waterdeep expansion, but there's definitely a bug affecting notifications.
Check your games! It might be your turn in Carc, LOW or Ascension.

Brakara

Ascension on iOS is probably my most played game on that platform (always have a game going).

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8

screen568x568.jpeg

And while it will be discontinued when the new version from Stoneblade takes over (Ascension Online, with cross-platform play between PC/Android/iOS), the base game is free so there's basically nothing to lose by trying it out. And if someone do, feel free to send me a challenge (IGN: Brakara).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BoardGameArena has an async mode now. Is anyone using it to play Through The Ages?

I've been using BGO for TtA. I think I'm still in a game with Boardgame GAF that's sat idle for like a year, lol.

Is BGA better?

I'm looking forward to Twilight Struggle coming from Playdek.

I backed that up as soon as I saw it. Missed on the early bird specials though, I need that Limited Edition tin!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been using BGO for TtA. I think I'm still in a game with Boardgame GAF that's sat idle for like a year, lol.

Is BGA better?

I backed that up as soon as I saw it. Missed on the early bird specials though, I need that Limited Edition tin!
Yeah TS by Playdek is going to be great: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559431060/twilight-struggle-digital-edition

I already have the deluxe though so couldn't really find a great backer level. Will definitely pick it up on iPad when it drops.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah TS by Playdek is going to be great: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559431060/twilight-struggle-digital-edition

I already have the deluxe though so couldn't really find a great backer level. Will definitely pick it up on iPad when it drops.

No, the higher tiers have a limited edition boardgame version offer as opposed to the deluxe. I'm snagging that and will then let one of my boardgame night regulars have my deluxe copy.

The collector's edition will come with high quality counters, map, and cards, plus the cards will come with never before seen artwork printed on them. All of this will come in a tin box that will be signed by the designers. This edition will be printed at a limited quantity, so the only way to make sure to receive this collector's edition is to back this project!

KuroNeeko

Ascension on iOS is probably my most played game on that platform (always have a game going).

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8

screen568x568.jpeg

And while it will be discontinued when the new version from Stoneblade takes over (Ascension Online, with cross-platform play between PC/Android/iOS), the base game is free so there's basically nothing to lose by trying it out. And if someone do, feel free to send me a challenge (IGN: Brakara).

WHEN! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOREVER!

I hate checking my email, seeing an update from Stoneblade, and it turning out to be some sales advertisement for SolForge. :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love the breadth of the cross-platform play on Twilight Struggle with the one glaring exception :p.

All tiers at the $10 level and higher come with a digital copy of the game, and as of right now we will be developing the game for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Windows Tablets/Phones, PS4, PS Vita, and Xbox One. The game will be cross-platform (with the exception of the Xbox One Version), so that you and your friends can play against one another anytime on any platform.

I'm in. Hope the Collector's Edition is really nice because that's my justification!

Slacker

Boiteajeux.net also has one of my favorite games to play 1v1: Die Burgund von Burgund (Castles of Burgundy). Very simple but effective interface. Not recommended: The online version of Dixit. Without face-to-face interaction with friends that game is as interesting as unbuttered toast.

The Steam version of Hive is very good, aside from the fact that it is very hard to get a game going online. :(

Does anyone play Eclipse iOS online these days? That app was such a hot mess when it came out I uninstalled it and haven't looked back. I know they fixed about 50 things with the first patch, but I gave up after realizing you still couldn't see what your opponent did on his turn. I don't know what it is with Big Daddy and making games that are sooo close to great but with just a few annoying issues. Still waiting on the undo button for Neuroshima Hex too. :p

Thinking of botched launches, I need to check up on Suburbia. Anyone know if they smoothed the issues out?

And thinking even more of botched launches, I still dream of a day where I can lay back on my couch watching a baseball game and playing a slickly designed iOS version of Dominion on my iPad. At this point I assume I'll have shuffled off this mortal coil by the time Goko dislodges their heads from their asses, but I'm already telling my eight-year-old son to keep himself physically fit, so that one glorious morning in the year 2038, he can fire up his iPad 20 and play some Dominion on iOS.

Boiteaujeux is good. I played a lot of Trajan there a while back. I'll have to check Castles of Burgundy out though. I don't get to play my own copy enough.

Need more games of Waterdeep with all the expansions going. Nothing like completing a 40 point quest to turn the game around.

I just started playing Lords of Waterdeep (the actual board game) last week. It was a lot of fun. Does anyone know how it runs on an iPhone 5?

Card Boy

Banned
Might & Magic: Duel of Champions.

You can unlock these from the Steam summer sale if you craft or buy the decks on the Steam Marketplace. You can get 118 cards for 7 cents if you got for the common and uncommon ones. I expect the rare to go down to 10 cents by the end of the sale. Also a new expansion set is coming to the game soon.

Steam Puzzle Ignatius Badge (Common Badge)

Unlocks the Ignatius Steam Puzzle and this deck…

• 1 Ignatius
  • 2 Day of Fortune
  • 4 The Great Hunt
  • 2 Week of the Dead
  • 4 Maniac
  • 2 Succubus
  • 2 Juggernaut
  • 2 Hellfire Imp
  • 1 Greater Fire Elemental
  • 3 Hellfire Bloater
  • 2 Chaos Lacerator
  • 2 Lurker in the Dark
  • 1 Fate Bender
  • 1 Maniac Taskmaster
  • 4 Swelling Breeder
  • 3 Campfire
  • 1 Arcane Academy
  • 3 Halls of Amnesia
  • 3 Maws of Chaos
  • 2 Forgotten Cave
  • 2 Dunes of Madness
  • 2 Ur-Jubaal's Call
  • 3 Fire Bolt
  • 2 Immolation
  • 3 Magma Burst
  • 1 Sacrificial Pit
  • 1 Hall of Agony

Steam Puzzle Gazal Badge (Uncommon Badge)

Unlocks the Gazal Steam Puzzle and this deck…

• 1 Gazal, Lady of Secrets
  • 1 Week of the Mercenaries
  • 3 Celebrations
  • 3 Month of the Dancing Flames
  • 1 Path of the Ancestors
  • 2 Sea Elf Archer
  • 2 Angry Wyvern
  • 3 Rakshasa
  • 3 Minotaur Brute
  • 3 Enslaved Harpy
  • 3 Spinning Dervish
  • 1 Rakshasa Raja
  • 1 Void-Tainted Djinn
  • 3 Arcane Archer
  • 2 Rakshasa Scout
  • 1 Taweret Warrior
  • 3 Rakshasa Skirmisher
  • 3 Chronicler
  • 1 Loyal Rakshasa
  • 3 Crimson Apprentice
  • 3 Sunburst
  • 2 Teleport
  • 1 Purity
  • 2 Spirited Away
  • 2 Chain Heal
  • 3 Unraveled Fate
  • 3 Memory Lapse

Steam Puzzle Seria (Rare Badge)

Unlocks the Seria Steam Puzzle and this deck…

• 1 Seria, Seeker of the Lost Souls
  • 3 Day of Fortune
  • 1 Week of the Dead
  • 2 Week of Knowledge
  • 2 Hail Storm
  • 4 Wretched Ghoul
  • 4 Neophyte Lich
  • 4 Vampire Knight
  • 2 Archlich
  • 2 Vampire Lord
  • 1 Atropos, Weaver of the Dead
  • 3 Moonsilk Skeleton
  • 1 Vampire Assassin
  • 3 Untamed Wraith
  • 3 Undead Minotaur
  • 2 Scavenger Ratkin
  • 4 Newborn Vampire
  • 2 Death Lord
  • 4 Grave Warden
  • 3 Campfire
  • 1 Ariana's Lair
  • 2 Seria's Last Order
  • 1 No Mercy for the Meek
  • 2 Agonizing Purge
  • 2 Boneyard

Steam Puzzle Namtaru (Extraordinary Badge)

Unlocks the Mother Namtaru Steam Puzzle and this deck…

• 1 Mother Namtaru, Invoker of Death
  • 2 Week of Taxes
  • 2 Week of Knowledge
  • 4 Hail Storm
  • 4 Wretched Ghoul
  • 4 Neophyte Lich
  • 2 Lamasu
  • 2 Vampire Knight
  • 2 Archlich
  • 2 Helexian Librarian
  • 2 Void Wraith
  • 3 Hangman Tree
  • 2 Plague Zombie
  • 2 Ice Wall
  • 2 Puppet Master
  • 2 Shadow Image
  • 4 Death Seal
  • 1 Town Portal
  • 2 Arcane Ward
  • 1 Despair
  • 1 Spell Steal
  • 2 Enthrall
  • 2 Wither
  • 2 Rewind
  • 2 Geyser
  • 2 Icy Weapon
  • 2 Soulreaver
Steam Puzzle Jezziel Badge (Precious Badge)

Unlocks the Jezziel Steam Puzzle and this deck…

• 1 Jezziel, Invoker of Hope
  • 3 Radiant Glory
  • 2 Holy Praetorian
  • 4 Tithe Collector
  • 1 Imperial Guard
  • 1 Eleonore, the Voice of Harmony
  • 2 Chain Lightning
  • 2 Lightning Bolt
  • 2 Cyclone
  • 2 Word of Light
  • 4 Sunburst
  • 2 Wolf Praetorian
  • 3 Wolf Justicar
  • 2 Truce of Elrath
  • 2 Griffin Marksman
  • 3 Lightning Strike
  • 1 The Light of Tomorrow
  • 2 Day of the Sanctuary
  • 4 Hail Storm
  • 2 Crusader Watchman
  • 2 Crusader Treasurer
  • 1 Crusader Sergeant
  • 1 Angel of Salvation
  • 1 Healing Sister
  • 4 Falcon Marksman
  • 3 Emperor's Wall
  • 2 Week of the Elder Races

Here are the decks so you can see them visually.

Ignatius http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/11664
Gazal http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/11665
Seria http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/11666
Namtaru http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/11667
Jezziel http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/11668

Slacker

I hope it isn't a repeat of last year. The 2013 skank-up was downright boring. Hey we're back, we're making a good game for once, it'll be out in September, yada yada. And of course September came and went without a peep out of the company. Boring!

Now 2012, that was excellent. Hey we're going to change gaming forever! HTML5! Play anywhere on anything! Pay $85 for the expansions! And of course they launched and the servers melted into a pile of rubble. Security concerns abounded, the infrastructure couldn't handle more than about 10 people online at one, etc, If you could actually get logged in the game was a clunky mess. Now that was fun.

Here's hoping the 2014 disaster is an entertaining one. I'm getting excited!

I hope it isn't a repeat of last year. The 2013 skank-up was downright boring. Hey we're back, we're making a good game for once, it'll be out in September, yada yada. And of course September came and went without a peep out of the company. Boring!

Now 2012, that was excellent. Hey we're going to change gaming forever! HTML5! Play anywhere on anything! Pay $85 for the expansions! And of course they launched and the servers melted into a pile of rubble. Security concerns abounded, the infrastructure couldn't handle more than about 10 people online at one, etc, If you could actually get logged in the game was a clunky mess. Now that was fun.

Here's hoping the 2014 disaster is an entertaining one. I'm getting excited!
I think they've jinxed it already with a comment of "this year for sure".
Prediction: no async, wonky invite system, iPad only

Daigoro

ticket to ride is on sale on steam now. thinking about buying it. looks like you can get the whole shebang for $8.

Slacker

ticket to ride is on sale on steam now. thinking about buying it. looks like you can get the whole shebang for $8.

That's a good deal. I've played the iPad version online hundreds of times, and still love it. I switch between the 1910 Mega game and Switzerland, both of which are awesome 1v1.

Top Bottom