• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Dime(japanese mag): PS3 launch this April

Wollan

http://www.gamefront.de/ reports that a japanese mag called Digital Dime is reporting that the Sony PlayStation 3 will launch in April in Japan.

Thanks to Combat11 at IGN which made me aware of this.

Gamefront.de said:
PS3-Auslieferung im April in Japan?

13.01.06 - Die PlayStation3 soll angeblich im April 2006 in Japan ausgeliefert werden. Das behauptet das japanische Magazin Digital Dime in der März-Ausgabe.

Sony hat den Termin nicht bestätigt. Offiziell wird die Markteinführung der PS3 mit Frühjahr 2006 angegeben, ohne ein Territorium zu nennen.

Doom_Bringer said:
Is that a good time to launch the system in Japan?

The PS2 launched in March. Still ths news is incorrect, Sony can't launch the PS3 in Spring. They just can't, even though that's been their locked in release shedule for months.

teiresias

Geez, that damn February show can't come soon enough, Sony better squash all of this rumour crap at the damn thing, it's freaking annoying.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
teiresias said:
"go freak, you are my friend, and I love you very much . . . but you're living in a world of MAKE BELIEEEEVE!!!"

Well, I think one of april/may/june has gotta happen :p

Doom_Bringer said:
Is that a good time to launch the system in Japan?

April in Japan is first business month of the year, but it's not common to see top seller titles sold in April.
Traditionally the best months in Japan are March, July, November and December.

SolidSnakex said:
The PS2 launched in March. Still ths news is incorrect, Sony can't launch the PS3 in Spring. They just can't, even though that's been their locked in release shedule for months.

lol. I want the PS3 to launch ASAP. That's a month after FFXII release and PS2 should be doing fine even in April. Anyway we gotta see the games first, if they look complete and are running at decent frame rate at the feb show then then Sony can easily launch in April.

White Man

teiresias said:
Geez, that damn February show can't come soon enough, Sony better squash all of this rumour crap at the damn thing, it's freaking annoying.

It's not near as annoying as the daily multiple sourceless Rev speculation threads were. At least most of these Sony threads have sources behind them.

Wollan

Ties in with the Sony guy at CES saying games could be submitted for 'clearance'(what's the term?) in february.

Jerkface said:
Looking forward to seeing what launch titles they are coming up with for April

Tekken Tag 2
Ridge Racer VI L337 version
2 or 3 Japanese board games
Gundam World
Sony RPG's Angel Rings
WarHawk
Lair

Wollan

With games most likely to be region free and Blu ray movies sone 1 to support both US+Japan and more... import looks very, very likely for me.

Doom_Bringer said:
PS2's launch lineup was similar. And it took Namco 6 months to remake Tekken Tag for PS2 and Ridge Racer V was done in 5 months. These guys work fast!

Which is why they should leave RR6 where it is, and give the PS3 Rage Racer 2.

Srider

Banned
gamefront.de just translates stuff from japanese websites, probably with an online translator, since much of the time they just can't distinguish between trolls and actual info.

SolidSnakex said:
Which is why they should leave RR6 where it is, and give the PS3 Rage Racer 2.

Screw ridge racer! I don't like that series!! It's all about Tekken!! I hope they add online play because Tekken needs it badly. And I don't think Tekken PS3 will offer a huge jump in graphics like Tekken 3 > Tekken Tag because Namco showed Tekken PS2 demo early on and they kept releasing screen shots every now and then. Since Tekken PS3 was absent at TGS I doubt it will be a launch title in Japan.

Doom_Bringer said:
Screw ridge racer! I don't like that series!! It's all about Tekken!! I hope they add online play because Tekken needs it badly. And I don't think Tekken PS3 will offer a huge jump in graphics like Tekken 3 > Tekken Tag because Namco showed Tekken PS2 demo early on and they kept releasing screen shots every now and then. Since Tekken PS3 was absent at TGS I doubt it will be a launch title in Japan.

It'll be bigger

tekken0wp.jpg

Srider said:
gamefront.de just translates stuff from japanese websites, probably with an online translator, since much of the time they just can't distinguish between trolls and actual info.

Doesn't matter. Launch will be in late March or early April as the PS Festival will make clear.

teiresias

That would obviously be a Japanese launch only - the launch lineup would be abysmal and/or rushed and they'd only survive launching with it in Japan at that point.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
SolidSnakex said:

WTF happened wasnt Q2 06 their friggin target to get the PS3 out the door.

PlayStation 3 is NOT going to launch before E3. I don't see how anyone can think this.

Do you honestly think that all the PS3 launch games are going to be at this mid-Feb event, playable and almost done, and then launch two months later? No.

Hell, Tecmo JUST said in Famitsu that they still don't know enough about PS3 and Rev, right?

Doom_Bringer said:
heh
Lets remind ourselves what Namco's next gen games actually look like

872_0003.jpg

795_0001.jpg

And these games will come out AFTER Tekken (if its a launch title)

Sweet, so we can expect all next gen Konami games to look as good as MGS4?

bumpkin

Didn't we already determine that the "spring launch" was nothing more than Sony's attempt to take the wind out of the 360's sails?

I don't believe this news.

Bebpo

Banned
teiresias said:
That would obviously be a Japanese launch only - the launch lineup would be abysmal and/or rushed and they'd only survive launching with it in Japan at that point.

Yeah, this is what's going to happen. Then again, even if they only have like 4 games at launch. As long as one is a killer app (Tekken?) they'll be fine for a few months.

Mashing

Wollan said:
With games most likely to be region free and Blu ray movies sone 1 to support both US+Japan and more... import looks very, very likely for me.

Why would they make games region free when Sony is a staunch opponent to imports?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bumpkin said:
Didn't we already determine that the "spring launch" was nothing more than Sony's attempt to take the wind out of the 360's sails?
Yes, a bunch of armchair analysts determined from hearsay and rumors that the spring launch of the PS3 CAN'T POSSIBLY BE REAL.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Why do people keep saying that PS3 can't launch before E3? PS2 came out March 2000, and its only presence at E3 1999 was in a small area in a pyramid with a super-early GT2000.

An April launch will not surprise me in the least.

mashoutposse said:
Why do people keep saying that PS3 can't launch before E3? PS2 came out March 2000, and its only presence at E3 1999 was in a small area in a pyramid with a super-early GT2000.

Lack of hype and news are the main factor. After they show off some playable games next month, they will start believing that the system can launch before E3 in Japan

Shinobi

I <3 Katamari said:
PlayStation 3 is NOT going to launch before E3. I don't see how anyone can think this.

Do you honestly think that all the PS3 launch games are going to be at this mid-Feb event, playable and almost done, and then launch two months later? No.

Hell, Tecmo JUST said in Famitsu that they still don't know enough about PS3 and Rev, right?

Nah, PS3 coming out before E3 in Japan is very believable. That pretty much follows PS2's schedule to a tee.

It was the notion that PS3 would in the US before the summer that was a complete crock of shit, something that half the board and almost every publication and website out there seemed to be grasping onto until recently.

PS3 in April for Japan - November for North America sounds about right

that would be 1 month later in both territories compared to PS2 launches

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if Gamefront.de will report all our expert analysis of 'it can't possibly becoming out - just.....because!!'

:rollseyes:

Wouldn't april actually be quite a good month, especially if FFXII had some tweaks if you play it on PS3?

Shapingo

I <3 Katamari said:

Ben-Nice of beyond3d wrote a nice history lesson for us

November 27th: 1998 - Sega RELEASED the Dreamcast in Japan at 260$. People thought the graphics were awe-inspiring.

Sony doesn't even unveil their next system until March 2nd: 1999. During the initial unveiling, no games were shown, no tech details, Ken talks about the Emotion Engine.

Sony finally formally unveils the PS2 all the way on May 11th, 1999, a full 3 months after the initial announcement of the system. But still, no games are shown, nothing but a few technical details on the system itself.

September 9th, 1999. Sega releases the Dreamcast here in the United States. System sells out, flies off shelves, gamers are amazed at Soul Calibur.

February 18th, 2000, Sony for the first time shows off playable PS2 games to the public during the Playstation Festival. Nearly a full year after the systems unveiling. Dreamcast still selling strong in the US, falls flat in Japan.

Playstation 2 goes on sale in Japan on March 4th, 2000. Not even a month after the initial playable demos of games were showcased. Even without any first party titles or big name titles, THOUSANDS of people line up to take home the console. Stores are sold out before they officially open and a little less then a million consoles sell. Sony later announces a 980,000 unit mark and 500,000 of those being sold through Playstation Online.

May 10th, 2000. Sony announces plans to ship the PS2 to the US in October.

September 20th, 2000 Sony announces difficulty of manufactoring PS2's for the US due to a new graphic synthesizer design that failed.

October 26th, the Playstation 2 is released in the US selling 500,000 consoles at launch with 100,000 consoles per week hitting stores after that, always selling out. PS2's remained sold out until March 21st, 2001 despite the 100,000 a week shipments

memories of goldfish...........they did the same for ps1 too

Shapingo said:
Sony later announces a 980,000 unit mark and 500,000 of those being sold through Playstation Online.

Early Friday morning, Sony was forced to shut down its company Website as it received 100,000 hits in the first minute that pre-order sales of its upcoming videogame juggernaut, the PlayStation 2, went online. Industry experts are predicting that the PS2 will bring in a new era of gaming when it launches on March 4, 2000 in Japan and based on the massive number of attempted online pre-orders, the experts might know what they're talking about.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/075/075383p1.html

Hopefully their website is stable enough to handle the PS3 pre orders. :p

Top Bottom