• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Anthem's E3 demo analysed: BioWare takes Frostbite into new territory

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-anthem-20min-demo-tech-analysis

Video:

Excerpts:
''Also curious is that some visual effects aren't enabled in the demo footage, but did seem to be enabled in the PC demo we played during E3, so maybe the demo code is tuned to console settings? Regardless, Anthem is delivering some seriously impressive visuals, wonderful art design and some lavish rendering. That starts in the opening cutscene inside the mobile command base: the density of geometry inside the immediate environment is seriously impressive. Characters in particular shine as they showcase lots of additional detail fleshed out with real geometry, to the point where individual buttons are round - actual models rather than textures. It's the same story with the surrounding environment, with even the most insignificant knick-knacks looking fully rounded out. Even the wires and hooks hanging from the ceiling are real 3D geometry. Of course, it is an enclosed and controlled space, but even really superfluous things the team could have easily left as flat textures have a nice 3D roundness to them.

More of Frostbite's post-processing effects are deployed more lavishly too. Bokeh depth of field is used to highlight foreground detail more effectively, and an impressive number of shadow-casting light sources are used that help to emphasis asset quality, particularly on characters and the quality of their skin rendering. But it's the open world of Anthem in the demo that looks especially impressive.''
More at the link.

Personal thoughts:
Anthem looks pretty darn amazing but its clear that the E3 2017 footage isn't met... yet. The small interior sequence did look incredibly impressive, enough for me to envision a possible PS5/Xbox Two port released shortly after these consoles hit. It just looks that good. That being said, along with Ghost of Tsushima, it is becoming apparent that less aggressive LOD's are becoming a focus for game developers. To have fields of waving grass readily shown without popping in. This is something that i think will be more highlighted in the next generation of hardware. For the here and now, Anthem is a visually impressive game, but Bioware has to show its might after Mass Effect Andromeda.

jadedm17

EA.... After the last few years of an already awful company....
I'm optimistic but not holding my breath.

Redneckerz

EA.... After the last few years of an already awful company....
I'm optimistic but not holding my breath.
I think for Bioware this game is literally a Waterloo moment title. Andromeda went on to become a laughing stock example of everything wrong with rushed up games, so they can't afford making this a thing again with a completely new IP. But this is the main Bioware team working on it, whereas Andromeda was done by Bioware B.

Anthem right now also looks a whole lot like Titanfall 2, so it really has to sell on narrative to make it that much more distinct, imo.

Cosmogony

I think for Bioware this game is literally a Waterloo moment title.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. They're developing Dragon Age 4, a beloved and established franchise. Even if the foray into new territory that is Anthem tanks, they might still be able to revert back to the recipe that made DA successful.

Redneckerz

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. They're developing Dragon Age 4, a beloved and established franchise. Even if the foray into new territory that is Anthem tanks, they might still be able to revert back to the recipe that made DA successful.
Hence why i think. :) But its also main Bioware at the helm instead of the folks that delivered Andromeda. We will just wait, and see :)

Graven

The visuals in this game so far have been impressing me greatly, i really hope they pull some good optimizations so it's not too taxing to actually have beautiful visuals. This world design has been caughting my attention too, i'm getting a bit of Xenoblade X vibes, due the verticality of the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom