• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 16 - PlayStation 5 - Tech Review

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This has turned into the most embarrassing disingenuous thread in a long while. In game screenshots none are photomode.
U4jT7vF.jpg
I6tZZ2O.jpg
Xvtcif8.jpg

Yea, 720p ... /s
I've been way too busy playing and enjoying the game to read this shit but now I'm at work. >.< some of you are just full of it.
Do you have a screen shot of combat In resolution mode? That’s where you are supposed to really see the drop in resolution and frame rate.

Still really mixed on the graphics as it looks bad as often as it looks good but the HDR is simply sumptuous after playing Capcom games with their raised black levels.

Do you have a screen shot of combat In resolution mode? That’s where you are supposed to really see the drop in resolution and frame rate.
I'll take some when I get home, they are going to be a motion blurry mess. I do wish I could turn it down or off as it is way too strong in combat.

POKEYCLYDE

Nope, 720p is in combats where the most time is 60fps. When you are walking the resolution is higher, that is the reason the framerate is much better in combats
So when I said "it can drop to 720p" and doesn't keep a consistent 60fps... where's your "Nope" coming from? Both of those statements are true.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There is so much happening in combat, I can’t spot any quality drop. But at the same time… there is so much happening, I don’t think I could notice anyway :p
I do toy with photo mode in combat and it stays sharp there

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don't understand how some Xbox fans (looking at you, Riky Riky ) who praise VRS would scoff at SE's optimization approach for prioritizing 60fps combat by dropping resolution. Conceptually, they are near identical. Are you concentrated on the environment when engaging your opponent? So much weirdness going on here.

Bojji

I don't understand how some Xbox fans (looking at you, Riky Riky ) who praise VRS would scoff at SE's optimization approach for prioritizing 60fps combat by dropping resolution. Conceptually, they are near identical. Are you concentrated on the environment when engaging your opponent? So much weirdness going on here.

Square could have done one fucking simple thing: add 120hz output option with LFC and maybe 40fps mode. They have this shit in forspoken.

PS5 is fucked on a system level with poor vrr support in 60hz mode but devs can easily fix this.

Performance mode would still have the same resolution but it would always be in vrr window and super smooth compared to what we have now.

All new Sony games are doing this...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't think DF mentioned that the resolution drops in Quality mode, during combat. They specifically cited the Performance mode.

ryan90k

Neo Member

adamsapple

40fps + LFC would make a huge difference for this game. The demo was pretty jarring when it dropped below 48fps. Wonder why they chose FSR1 upscaling since they already previously used checkerboard rendering in FF15 and FSR2 in Forespoken, They are both Luminous Engine games but Final Fantasy 16 seems to be something else according to square https://mp1st.com/news/report-final-fantasy-16-does-not-run-on-unreal-engine-or-luminous-engine

FSR 2 is much more expensive than FSR 1. If they're dropping so many frames while having a DRS window that goes to 720p w/ the cheaper solution, FSR 2 would have made the drops even more pronounced.

Last edited:

ryan90k

Neo Member
FSR 2 is much more expensive than FSR 1. If they're dropping so many frames while having a DRS window that goes to 720p w/ the cheaper solution, FSR 2 would have made the drops even more pronounced.
I would hope it's the opposite using a lower internal resolution, say 540p internal instead of 720p but with a reconstructed 1080p output. I think the framerates don't drop when the DRS is allowed to go to 720p though as this is during combat. The framerate drops are during exploration when DRS does not drop as low maintaining image quality at the expense of framerate which is clearly by design.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Also, it's super hypocrisy seeing all these 60fps warriors throwing "but its 720p" card.
But on every other occasion they yell "but I would paly 720p. only 60fps matters"... well apparently not.

The Office What GIF

Are those peoples saying they would play 720p to have 60 fps on this current gen in the room with us right now?

oji-san

Banned
Thanks for the good word.
I know well I get too agitated easily. Never ending work on that…
I know me liking the game is affecting how much I overlook it’s other issues.

Forspoken for example is by no means a perfect game or that amazing looking like I make it out to be. But I had fun with it and it’s certainly not as bad looking as some make it out to be.

Ff16, I’ve just put few hours into. It continues to look fantastic. Especially the great wood area. But the village after is very flat as are some side quest npcs. I realise that very well. The highs are so high though that it’s overshadowing the flat parts for me.
The music and combat are undeniably great though!
I play in quality mode of course and I got used to 30 very fast. You have nothing to worry as the heavy motion blur helps a bit with motion on oled. Not a golden billet but if you can look past that, it’s ok. One of more responsive 30fps games this gen.
Not sure if I prefer hgig or dtm here yet. Both look great.
Just enjoy the game and don't give a fuck.
I thought Forspoken demo looked nice and FFXVI demo performance mode looked very good and while i respect other people opinions if it's looking good to me i don't care about what others might think. Enjoy it, as it look like a badass game and not worth getting angry about it. :)

vkbest

So when I said "it can drop to 720p" and doesn't keep a consistent 60fps... where's your "Nope" coming from? Both of those statements are true.
Because 720p and doesnt keep a consistent 60fps is not correct at the same time. When drop frames usually is not 720p is higher.

Man, if I want 720p, I thought that was for series s. This is wild. But it cool, immma still play it and enjoy it. I gonna be fine with rez mode. As long it stay over 30. I can work with it. Hell, did the ps4 even had games to fall down to 720p?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Isn’t it dropping resolution and frames so much in performance mode is because some form of ray tracing is on that should be off

Last edited:
First Forsaken, now this mess. This is some real low ball shit. 720p in combat, in 2023, GTFO here.

Why do they think this shit is acceptable. Visuals arent everything, drop some stuff back and get the fps up, jesus. I highly doubt there arent improvements to be made. And whoever chose to go with FSR 1 is a dumbc*nt.

I still emphasize Sony really fucked up their decision to set the VRR window so bloody high. If it was at 40 and not 48, dev's might be more incentived to aim for it as the de facto 'quality' mode.

But no, it just had to be 48 which is way too close to 50 territory. Real L move.
The VRR window of PS5 being 48-120 hz is a limitation of the HDMI VRR spec. It has nothing to do with anything Sony ever decided.

VRR on PC's can go down to 20 hz if the computer supports Nvidia G-Sync.

40fps + LFC would make a huge difference for this game. The demo was pretty jarring when it dropped below 48fps. Wonder why they chose FSR1 upscaling since they already previously used checkerboard rendering in FF15 and FSR2 in Forespoken, They are both Luminous Engine games but Final Fantasy 16 seems to be something else according to square https://mp1st.com/news/report-final-fantasy-16-does-not-run-on-unreal-engine-or-luminous-engine
FFXVI is likely using a retrofitted FFXIV engine which is neither Luminous nor Unreal Engine

Banned
The VRR window of PS5 being 48-120 hz is a limitation of the HDMI VRR spec. It has nothing to do with anything Sony ever decided.

VRR on PC's can go down to 20 hz if the computer supports Nvidia G-Sync.

I have never seen confirmation from anywhere that this is actually a limitation of the standard.
and even then, if it is a limitation of it, Sony is fucking stupid for not supporting Freesync as well then. (but we know why, because their TVs don't support it... and that's always the reason why a Sony system doesn't support something video output related sadly)

but also Sony not implementing a system wide 120hz mode leads to situations like these where a dev cant be arsed to implement a game-internal 120hz mode + LFC
you can't count on developers to do things properly sadly.

I also don't understand the lack of checkerboard rendering in modern ganes. it shits all over both FSR1 and FSR2 if implemented well

like, this is checkerboard 1800p
Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-4K-PS4-Pro.jpg

and this isn't even the best implementation, as this game uses an overly aggressive sharpening filter, but it's hard to tell this apart from a real native 1800p unless you look into fine details during motion. Dark Souls Remastered's Checkerboarding was famously so good that it fooled both Digital Foundry and VG Tech, as both thought it ran at a native 1800p

these are only 2,880,000 native pixels here... for comparison, a native 1440p renders 3,686,400 pixels!

FFXVI is likely using a retrofitted FFXIV engine which is neither Luminous nor Unreal Engine

the FFXIV engine is a branched off version of Luminous I think

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
The FFXIV engine is a branched off version of Luminous I think
The original FFXIV was powered by FFXIII's Crystal Tools, but due to all the headaches that arised from utilizing that particular toolset in an MMO game, Yoshi-P and his team began developing a new, unnamed engine in 2011 for what would become A Realm Reborn. It was not related to Luminous in any way, shape or form though - the only games to utilize that engine were Final Fantasy XV and Forspoken; Kingdom Hearts III was initially set to run under Luminous, but it was rebooted following its 2013 announcement and moved to UE4.

Last year, Square Enix trademarked the name "Radec Engine", and it is widely speculated to be the commercial title for the technology behind A Realm Reborn and now FFXVI.

Banned
The original FFXIV was powered by FFXIII's Crystal Tools, but due to all the headaches that arised from utilizing that particular toolset in an MMO game, Yoshi-P and his team began developing a new, unnamed engine in 2011 for what would become A Realm Reborn. It was not related to Luminous in any way, shape or form though - the only games to utilize that engine were Final Fantasy XV and Forspoken; Kingdom Hearts III was initially set to run under Luminous, but it was rebooted following its 2013 announcement and moved to UE4.

Last year, Square Enix trademarked the name "Radec Engine", and it is widely speculated to be the commercial title for the technology behind A Realm Reborn and now FFXVI.

I always read that the new engine was made in cooperation with the team behind Luminous 🤷‍♂️ so I assumed they modified Luminous for it.

I tried performance mode for a bit. It doesn’t look good at all. I’m not sure if it’s the resolution, or texture quality, or what. There just didn’t seem to be any detail. Add in the frequent juddering when it drops frames and it was an easy decision to go back to quality mode. The game looks fantastic in quality mode. I’d love a 120/40hz mode.

This is on an OLED, so the juddering in performance mode may be exacerbated, or the blur in quality mode lessened.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This game is very much like Game of Thrones, but without the nudity.

People getting brutally killed right and left. Yeesh. I still don't get why those two women were killed.

adamsapple

The end of the demo was pretty graphic.
It was kind of like Evangelion.
Why were those two women killed?

No witnesses.

I also don't understand the lack of checkerboard rendering in modern ganes. it shits all over both FSR1 and FSR2 if implemented well

like, this is checkerboard 1800p
Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-4K-PS4-Pro.jpg

To the best of my limited understanding, CB rendering does *not* play well with a lot of foliage or micro detail.

I think DF's Monster Hunter World video was one example where John explained that.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ve been playing on performance mode so far but had no idea it was dropping down to 720p. Maybe I should just switch to graphics mode…

Last edited:
Anyone having trouble dealing with the motion blur in resolution mode? It makes me feel queezy its that strong.

Cant believe thei make it this severe with no slider

There's always something lately

Banned
No witnesses.

To the best of my limited understanding, CB rendering does *not* play well with a lot of foliage or micro detail.

I think DF's Monster Hunter World video was one example where John explained that.

that's true if implemented poorly like in the launch version of Forbidden West, but it can look good still.

Gamerguy84

Wow. A Final Fantasy with cussing and nudity. Just wow.

I got to say that JRPG and FF lost me over a decade ago and thst distance kept growing every iteration.

I played the demo and will buy soon. I never thought I'd be excited to play a FF game again in my life.

Unexpected and refreshing.

Riky

$MSFT

Only weirdness is tagging someone who hasn't posted in the thread, obsessed much?

vkbest

Works perfectly, Horizon performance mode is the perfect example of it. I mean when they patched, not a release time, where that mode was made in the last moment

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You do understand that dropping the resolution and effects of the entire screen is wildly different to dropping the resolution of the very edges of the screen and parts of the image that the game and developers have deemed a point they wouldn't expect your eyes to be focusing on in that particular frame?

It's not the same thing at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You do understand that dropping the resolution and effects of the entire screen is wildly different to dropping the resolution of the very edges of the screen and parts of the image that the game and developers have deemed a point they wouldn't expect your eyes to be focusing on in that particular frame?

That’s vr. Flat Games with dynamic res never drop just peripheral res. That’s what vr and partially vrs does and it was proved terrible looking again and again without boosting fps.

Surfheart

I'm sorry those FF16 screenshots up there aren't really impressive to me, the lighting looks wrong on the one with the backlit solider, total wall guy moment.

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly, VRS actually enables the developer to raise the overall resolution of the image, as with Doom Eternal.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Exactly, VRS actually enables the developer to raise the overall resolution of the image, as with Doom Eternal.
Yeah but it looks so bad and pixelated too. They disabled it in dead space and the game runs the same and looks better.

Banned
Yeah but it looks so bad and pixelated too. They disabled it in dead space and the game runs the same and looks better.

it only looked bad on PS5 due to the lack of VRS Tier 2 hardware support.

it looked decent on Xbox, but wasn't needed...

they only left it in because the devs didn't notice how bad it looked on PS5 (source, most recent DF Direct), which should be a clear sign for all the "the devs know better" idiots to finally shut up with stupid arguments like that. developers are often wrong.

it also looks decent in Doom Eternal, you'd never notice it without looking for it.

Top Bottom