• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Stellar Blade PS5 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - An Ultra-Polished Action Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

- Three modes: Performance, Balanced and Quality
- Performance: 1440p at locked 60. Just one dip on a cutscene part, but 99% of the time is locked 60 fps
- Balanced: 4k via temporal UE tech, 60 fps as try to maintain the mix between quality and perfomance, but never stay at 60 fps that much
- Quality: 4K, but looks like he spot a dynamic resolution scaler in place. Locked 30 fps without framepace issue
- Balanced mode use Unreal Engine temporal upscaling and sometimes balanced mode can even beat Quality mode because UE tech remove some artifacts
- If you have VRR, John suggest using the Balanced mode
- There are no visual differences between the modes besides resolution.
- As John mention, the game is ultra polish. No bugs, crashes and the game launch was fantastic
- John make a commentary about how he miss this kinda of games that focus heavily on gameplay, less in cutscenes and is a day one polish game
- Fast load times. The game take like less than 5 seconds to continue your load game
- "...the best thing Sony has published in quite a while."

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Crazy how working within the limits of the console instead of against them gives you a game that not only looks good and crisp, but also has smooth performance.
It's almost as if most triple A developers are retarded and can't optimize their shit to save their lives.
So you want devs to continue making last gen games just so it has smooth performance?

It clearly comes at a cost. The game is lacking next gen visual features. he switched to star wars for a bit and it was a generational difference and that game isnt even pushing the PS5 hard like Alan Wake and Avatar.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not seen the vid yet but the demo looked better on Balance than quality 4k mode.
Probably because 4k mode is a bit more raw and balanced uses more AA with the ue temporal technique.
performance mode looked like crap. I am happy to take few fps hit with balanced. vrr and all

S0ULZB0URNE

Not seen the vid yet but the demo looked better on Balance than quality 4k mode.
Probably because 4k mode is a bit more raw and balanced uses more AA with the ue temporal technique.
performance mode looked like crap. I am happy to take few fps hit with balanced. vrr and all
Does balanced mode have a unlocked frame rate?

Fake

So you need to watch before make jugdment.
The reason Balance Mode beat Quality Mode is because the balance mode use Unreal Engine temporal upscaler tech.
Another thing is the Quality Mode is not native 4k. As John mention, quality mode use DRS sometimes.

And Performance mode is not crap. Locked 60 with native 1440p is good for a game heavily focus on gameplay. Balanced mode don't stick too much on 60 fps, so you need to rely on the VRR.

Saber

Gold Member
So you want devs to continue making last gen games just so it has smooth performance?

If that means they can focus on other aspects of the game, I'm 100% fine with that. Graphical masterpieces are usually just that, visual candies imo.

diffusionx

Gold Member

It clearly comes at a cost. The game is lacking next gen visual features. he switched to star wars for a bit and it was a generational difference and that game isnt even pushing the PS5 hard like Alan Wake and Avatar.
Star Wars Jedi Survivor? That game runs like total ass on PS5.

Ultimately it's up to devs to decide what they want to do. If you want to make a fast paced action game like DMC, yea maybe you do tone down the "next-gen features" and focus on performance. If you want to make a graphical showcase, well, it's probably going to be a 30fps game. What I don't get is people who want both next-gen features and perfect 60fps performance. It just doesn't work like that, it never has.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So you need to watch before make jugdment.
The reason Balance Mode beat Quality Mode is because the balance mode use Unreal Engine temporal upscaler tech.
Another thing is the Quality Mode is not native 4k. As John mention, quality mode use DRS sometimes.

And Performance mode is not crap. Locked 60 with native 1440p is good for a game heavily focus on gameplay. Balanced mode don't stick too much on 60 fps, so you need to rely on the VRR.
that's what I said month ago and today based on my demo playthrough.
Performance mode got really bad anti aliasing. Imo it's a waste of mode. Everyone got vrr now.
Whatever. It's all fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom