• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade will have 3 graphics modes - Performance, Resolution and Balanced Modes

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
*Rofif intensifies*
Stressed Mickey Mouse GIF

60fps is never and will never be considered fidelity mode. Its a performance mode and a high framerate mode.
You don't get to decide that, what an insane take, the resolution/fidelty mode is whatever the lowest frame rate option is, anything else is just pure projection and bad opinions.
What really happened here is you genuinely believed COD only had one mode and you fucked up by using it as your golden example, and now you're just trying to bu-bu-bu- *moves goalpost*.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"The game was created in 60 FPS, so the performance mode allows you to experience very smooth action, even in 4K."

But there is a specific 4K resolution mode? Sense it makes not.

Obviously the performance mode won't be 4K, so no idea what this is supposed to mean. Maybe just a bad translation.

Mister Wolf

"The game was created in 60 FPS, so the performance mode allows you to experience very smooth action, even in 4K."

But there is a specific 4K resolution mode? Sense it makes not.

Obviously the performance mode won't be 4K, so no idea what this is supposed to mean. Maybe just a bad translation.

Dynamic Resolution Scaler.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You don't get to decide that, what an insane take, the resolution/fidelty mode is whatever the lowest frame rate option is, anything else is just pure projection and bad opinions.
What really happened here is you genuinely believed COD only had one mode and you fucked up by using it as your golden example, and now you're just trying to bu-bu-bu- *moves goalpost*.
He does represents bad opinions….he has to live up to his tag.

Aenima

Good to know, as i dont play on a 4k TV, 60fps it is. Also glad to know thats the mode they designed the gameplay.

In Stellar Blade should not make much diference as it is melee combat, but in Nikke playing in 60fps actually makes you deal more damage compared to the 30fps.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Stressed Mickey Mouse GIF

You really think I couldn't think of games that offer 1 mode only?

OK lets play your game.

Last gen.

The Last Of Us 2
Read Dead Redemption 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
The Order
God of War
All Ass Creed games
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Horizon
Days Gone

Before that?

Hmmm

Bioshock
Gears of War
GTA 5
Perfect Dark
Halo 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
Breath of The Wild

Notice a trend here?

EVERY GAME offered 1 mode in previous gens. Thats how we grew up playing console games. None of yall were complaining either. None of this performance vs fidelity garbage. Devs delivered the games how they wanted to deliver them. Games were generally more polished too. This trend of high profile BROEKN games releasing at launch (like cyberpunk) was a lot less common.

Now we have every dev folding to pressure, having to offer 2- 3 modes. Its ridiculous. Each one of these modes is undercooked and underpolished. Performance modes run at sub 720p garbage nowadays. Sub 720p. In 2024.

They are stretching themselves too thin, having to modify the fuck out of their game. That time they use making 3 modes, could and SHOULD be used for polish and fine tuning.

But no. Console gamers nowadays need 3 fucking modes. Lmao. It Equals to lengthier development time, less time for polish, and an undercooked product. Let devs deliver what they want to deliver. Their way.

One of the main reasons a game like Tears of the Kingdom is so fucking polished? Nintendo isnt some magical company. They are smart. One mode. Polish the game for an additional year instead of wasting time making a bunch of different modes, trying to fit a circle into a square.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

OK lets play your game.

Last gen.

The Last Of Us 2
Read Dead Redemption 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
The Order
God of War
All Ass Creed games
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Horizon
Days Gone

Before that?

Hmmm

Bioshock
Gears of War
GTA 5
Perfect Dark
Halo 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
Breath of The Wild

Notice a trend here?

EVERY GAME offered 1 mode in previous gens. Thats how we grew up playing console games. None of yall were complaining either. None of this performance vs fidelity garbage. Devs delivered the games how they wanted to deliver them. Games were generally more polished too. This trend of high profile BROEKN games releasing at launch (like cyberpunk) was a lot less common.

Now we have every dev folding to pressure, having to offer 2- 3 modes. Its ridiculous. Each one of these modes is undercooked and underpolished. Performance modes run at sub 720p garbage nowadays. Sub 720p. In 2024.

They are stretching themselves too thin, having to modify the fuck out of their game. That time they use making 3 modes, could and SHOULD be used for polish and fine tuning.

But no. Console gamers nowadays need 3 fucking modes. Lmao. It Equals to lengthier development time, less time for polish, and an undercooked product. Let devs deliver what they want to deliver. Their way.

One of the main reasons a game like Tears of the Kingdom is so fucking polished? Nintendo isnt some magical company. They are smart. One mode. Polish the game for an additional year instead of wasting time making a bunch of different modes, trying to fit a circle into a square.
yep. It's not a good choice it's a choice "what do you want to loose" not what do you want to gain.
I genuinely don't like picking modes.
In any mode, you will feel like you are giving something up which console gaming should not be about.

edit: Counteractively, these modes are pushing people to buy pc and wait for pc version. Because on pc "they can have it all".
Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with this. giving up store, psn and other royalities from giving away sales of games on they console vs pc.

That said - i am still using some modes of course. I have my preferences

Last edited:

Represent.

It's not "my game" weirdo; you used COD as your shining example and were wrong, simple as that, I wasn't having any other discussion with you so just move on.
Yeah just ignore the 19 other examples I listed and stick to COD because it fits your narrative.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah just ignore the 19 other examples I listed and stick to COD because it fits your narrative.
There's no narrative, except whatever you are projecting once again, you made a post about COD and I responded that you were wrong about it, that's it; you were wrong, move on, it's not that deep, I wasn't discussing anything else with you.

Represent.

yep. It's not a good choice it's a choice "what do you want to loose" not what do you want to gain.
I genuinely don't like picking modes.
In any mode, you will feel like you are giving something up which console gaming should not be about
exactly. I play in performance, I feel like im missing out on graphics. I play in fidelity, smoothness.

bruh just make your game and release it as polished as possible. people dont need options for everything. imo.

thats literally what PC gaming is for. Go nuts on that platform, 30, 60 500fps i dont care. leave consoles as a set and steady product.

JaksGhost

OK lets play your game.

Last gen.

The Last Of Us 2
Read Dead Redemption 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
The Order
God of War
All Ass Creed games
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Horizon
Days Gone

Before that?

Hmmm

Bioshock
Gears of War
GTA 5
Perfect Dark
Halo 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
Breath of The Wild

Notice a trend here?

All of those games are 30fps on last gen hardware and since you've had no issue before just play in Quality mode. There... fixed your issue.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
exactly. I play in performance, I feel like im missing out on graphics. I play in fidelity, smoothness.

bruh just make your game and release it as polished as possible. people dont need options for everything. imo.

thats literally what PC gaming is for. Go nuts on that platform, 30, 60 500fps i dont care. leave consoles as a set and steady product.
yeah but then you have people throwing a fit because they "can't go back to 30fps".
Bitch it's 15 minutes of palying and you forget about it. I had 240hz monitors before

What a joke.

Make 1 mode. Deliver it how YOU want us to experience it. Make that 1 mode undeniable. I want to play the game how you want it to be played

Now all 3 modes will have issues and be less impressive than they should be. Book it.
Full compliance. Perfect wedding material.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
All of those games are 30fps on last gen hardware and since you've had no issue before just play in Quality mode. There... fixed your issue.
wrong.
30fps modes suck ass nowadays since these are not the focus.
most games with 30fps/graphics mode don't have good motion blur and control like slow shit.
Look at Demons Souls, 60fps mode is fine but compare 30fps mode to bloodborne.... bloodborne 30fps mode is so responsive and so good to control, it almost feels better than Demons souls 60fps mode.

One of few games that do 30fps well this gen is FF16. No deadzones, good, fast controls, no vsynced delay and heavy (but adjustable) camera motion blur.
There is a difference between 30 and 30fps and with lack of focus on it, it mostly sucks

Danjin44

What a joke.

Make 1 mode. Deliver it how YOU want us to experience it. Make that 1 mode undeniable. I want to play the game how you want it to be played

Now all 3 modes will have issues and be less impressive than they should be. Book it.
Is not like you gonna play this game anyway, because the character design it’s too hot and it’s not “realistic“.

sendit

What a joke.

This is how it should be on consoles. No messing around with graphical settings. A game built around a 60 FPS minimum.

Aenima

OK lets play your game.

Last gen.

The Last Of Us 2
Read Dead Redemption 2
Ghosts of Tsushima
Uncharted 4
The Order
God of War
All Ass Creed games
Bloodborne
Death Stranding
Horizon
Days Gone

Before that?

Hmmm

Bioshock
Gears of War
GTA 5
Perfect Dark
Halo 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
Breath of The Wild

Notice a trend here?

EVERY GAME offered 1 mode in previous gens. Thats how we grew up playing console games. None of yall were complaining either. None of this performance vs fidelity garbage. Devs delivered the games how they wanted to deliver them. Games were generally more polished too.
Its a shame Bloodborne only ofered one mode, cuz no one woulld be complaining about frame pacing now if the game had a 60fps mode back then.

Last edited:

Aenima

A 60fps mode wouldn't have been possible on PS4
Thers plenty of 60fps games on PS4, and Sony launched a PS4 Pro later. If Bloodborne had a 60fps mode today ppl could be enjoying the game at a silky smooth frame rate on PS5, instead ppl keep crying for a 60fps patch that will never be made.

Same shit with The Last Guardian, the game launched with unlocked 60fps mode, ppl complained the framerate was not good, they locked the game at 30fps. Now to enjoy the game at 60fps on a PS5 you need to have a physical version and dont instal the updated patches. If 2 frame rates mode was a thing last gen that was another game that had benefited from it.

Having options is only good cuz the games are designed with one in mind, and the extra options is for ppl that might have higher res screens. Painting this as a bad thing is going full retard.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm not a developer and you are not either, so it'd be better if somebody with personal experience would weigh in, but the idea of "polishing" graphical settings is likely primarily a burden on QA rather than the entirety of the development group. The process in general is pretty easy to change parameters, and modern engines are designed to be flexible. (Really, they have been since PC and consoles have managed operational parity and export the same general code from a source engine adjusted for each console's API library, rather than "porting" each version of a game by hand.) Much of the change is in dialing up parameters and in procedural shifting of asset quantity/quality, not from by hand modifying textures and models and code.

I have never seen a developer blame the trend of broken or unpolished games on the modes they're setting for output.

Before this gen, you didn't see modes in games before PS5/XB Series because it was assumed console gamers didn't want them. Developers made settings for infinite amounts of modes all the time in the PC release, but for consoles, they rarely allowed those toggles to be chooseable even though the engine was the same across versions. (They also didn't have a lot of latitude to mess around on PS4/XBO gen; you could potentially make a game look worse if you turned things off, but you still probably would struggle to find a livable 60FPS setting.) Still, there were settings and options down in those games, and it kind of bit the consoles in the ass that they hadn't encouraged flexible settings early once the Pro/One X concept came to market; although simple framerate/resolution bumps through brute-force processing was doable (well, doable easy enough on Xbox Series X due to its run system and lax QA concerns, whereas PS4 Pro neglected to enhance games unless they were patched, thus the Bloodborne lament,) patches needed to be made for games to do anything more than the basics of final output.

In the before-before gens, developers were more often writing "to the metal" (kind of... middleware was pretty prevalent even in the PS2's days, but there were ways to get more out of the console by focusing on each platform's specific skillset,) and so yes, you would get wild performance leaps from games tuned and polished for exactly the framerate and resolution their console of choice was best at. Still, you did see games with visual settings even back then. PS3/360 games had differences to them depending on if you turned on 1080p Mode (where available, which was rare since these consoles were running on fumes as it was) or used 3D. Many PS2 or Xbox One games have 480p and widescreen settings on top of the standard 480i or 4:3, and some even had "1080i" mode where they targeted 576x960 and then that was upscaled to full screen. Sound modes were also regularly selectable. (In fact, the games that offered the most variety of settings tended to be the most advanced and complex games; you'd think maybe that the cheap games which didn't push the hardware would be the ones that could do progressive scan easiest, but it was more often budget and coding talent which made it happen.) And going even further back, N64 had the Expansion Pak to allow games which supported it to do higher resolution or faster framerates (albeit usually not toggled by the user.)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its a shame Bloodborne only ofered one mode, cuz no one woulld be complaining about frame pacing now if the game had a 60fps mode back then.
other 30fps games can only wish to be as responsive and fast as bloodborne.
Dont give a crap about framepacing. was always overblown issue with bloodborne.
You want to see bad framepacing, try ff15 on ps5 in 4k mode lol. unplayable

Represent.

A 60fps mode wouldn't have been possible on PS4
Yes it would. They’d just have to dumb the game down, cut the resolution in half, reduce the amount of enemies, reduce draw distance, and pay even less attention to fidelity.

Sacrifice.

And that’s how it is today too. 60fps requires sacrifice. Everything has to be sacrificed for framerate

That’s why I fucking hate it.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yes it would. They’d just have to dumb the game down, cut the resolution in half, reduce the amount of enemies, reduce draw distance, and pay even less attention to fidelity.

Sacrifice.

And that’s how it is today too. 60fps requires sacrifice. Everything has to be sacrificed for framerate

So, your problem is that the game has a 60fps mode. Not that have multiple modes. It just seems you wanted all games forced at 30fps to improve visual fidelity and assets quality. But there are certain game genres that 60 fps actually improve the experience. Racing games, fighting games, action games, First Person Shoots... they all benefit more from higher frame rates than higher fidelity.

So thats why having more than 1 mode is a good thing and not a bad thing, cuz allows ppl like you to enjoy higher fidelity in trade of lower framerate.

Last edited:

Senua

Sacrifice.

Well no shit, I'm talking about how the game released. Also dude where do you want it to end? Can you imagine the insane visuals they could produce at 20fps? You and rofif could give eachother a massage in stop motion

Last edited:

Danjin44

So, your problem is that the game has a 60fps mode. Not that have multiple modes. It just seems you wanted all games forced at 30fps to improve visual fidelity and assets quality. But there are certain game genres that 60 fps actually improve the experience. Racing games, fighting games, action games, First Person Shoots... they all benefit more from higher frame rates than higher fidelity.

So thats why having more than 1 mode is a good thing and not a bad thing, cuz allows ppl like you to enjoy higher fidelity in trade of lower framerate.
You are arguing with self-proclaimed "true graphic whore".....remember that.

Salz01

The balanced mode sounds like 40fps mode which is awesome to support 120hz TVs. An unlocked VRR mode would be icing on the cake :messenger_winking:
I really hope this is the case. All current gen games should have this by default. (Looking at you Alan Wake)

Top Bottom