• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: Episode Duscae revisited

Wait, did they confirm this for PC?
It was never confirmed for PC but this is being developed on DX 11 and a PC port is likely coming after Type-0 HD anyways.

It, in its current presentation, does not look that great to me because of those things I mentioned. So I cannot exactly agree with that. But, If it were 1080p 30 (like they promise at the end), then I definitely would consider it one of the best looking open world games.

I have praised aspects of the game, just not the final image on a whole.
IQ is not perfect but when we see the game in motion, it is not bad. The stills just don't do it any justice. It needs to be seen in motion and not in tiny GIFs either.

Aside from that, the devs hopefully hit their 1080p target by the time it launches.

Okay, at this point, in modern gaming. Anyone saying "rest assured most stuff will be ironed out and will be such and such res and such and such FPS" in a big open world game, is delusional. Get real here. Okay? Realistic expectations. This goes for both console and PC.
It is a weird case here with FFXV because the engine that they are using (Luminous Engine) is still being worked on and nowhere near final stage. This demo was released when the engine was in its 1.2 or 1.3 version. Currently, it sits at 1.5 and they are still porting stuff from their previous engine to Luminous. The final game not only can look better, it can also perform better because of an advanced engine.

omonimo

Banned
sigh....

Also, this game patently runs like crap and kinda looks terrible IMO. Great assets being destroyed by poor IQ and performance.
Performance are not terrible considered the scope of the game, not at least for the console standard. Still what I see it's damning impressive. I almost though it was a CG in real time. But if you want to concentrate only to the negative aspects, ok.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It is a weird case here with FFXV because the engine that they are using (Luminous Engine) is still being worked on and nowhere near final stage. This demo was released when the engine was in its 1.2 or 1.3 version. Currently, it sits at 1.5 and they are still porting stuff from their previous engine to Luminous. The final game not only can look better, it can also perform better because of an advanced engine.

Look, that's all fine and good. But again, lets be real here.

AESplusF

It was never confirmed for PC but this is being developed on DX 11 and a PC port is likely coming after Type-0 HD anyways.

Yeah I'd bet on it coming to PC, I just hope it won't be a total hack job.

The performance as is, is basically passable, so with further optimization it should reach a nice balance.

Then really need to get those performance issues ironed out 13fps is not ok. The game looks like it plays great but I wouldn't touch anything that performed like that.

Performance are not terrible considered the scope of the game, not at least for the console standard. Still what I see it's damning impressive. I almost though it was a CG in real time. But if you want to concentrate only to the negative aspects, ok.

I'd rather recognize the bad performance and speak about it then say it's ok and let more companies follow that path. Even if it's a demo and probably will get fixed if we aren't vocal about performance issues we are just gonna keep getting more games with them.

Aurongel

Okay, at this point, in modern gaming. Anyone saying "rest assured most stuff will be ironed out and will be such and such res and such and such FPS" in a big open world game, is delusional. Get real here. Okay? Realistic expectations. This goes for both console and PC.
I wasn't aware you saw enough pre-release games and are familiar enough with software development to make that call.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah I'd bet on it coming to PC, I just hope it won't be a total hack job.

The performance as is, is basically passable, so with further optimization it should reach a nice balance.

Just give it to Nixxes. I'm not sure Hexadrive has the expertise for a nice PC port.

nib95

Banned
Yeah IDK anymore man. Certain sectors of Japanese development are clearly on par but 80% of it is just a mess at this point and I'm not sure they really care either. Japan is mobile at this point. The talented ones will remain and prosper. This says nothing about janky American games either. Plenty of them.

Come back when Witcher, a janky--but AWESOME--Euro dev has these animations? ND is going to kill all these devs by ten miles when their final animation system is revealed.

I expect GG to have massively improved as well and animation is not even their main concern by far usually. Japanese devs are not shit but their programming is definitely on the rocks across the board in many places.

If a couple hundred million dollar game does not have better animation than a 36 million dollar budget RPG you had better get worrying about the state of things.

You say that, but as amazing as Witcher 3 is, this year a Japanese developed game could still just as likely win GOTY (MGSV, Bloodborne, Persona 5 etc). I don't really see Japanese devs being behind par at the moment, and think they're every bit as well versed in making games as Western developers. They just have different focuses and styles of game is all.

Arkeband

Banned
The animations and graphics are probably some of the best out right now for this type of game.

The framerate sucks, though. It illuminates how much current-gen consoles are struggling to keep pace with truly cutting edge tech.

Too many Xbones in the marketplace to leave money on the table.

Historically, Japanese games have sold badly on Xboxes. The Xbone has been severely under-performing in mainland Europe, where Final Fantasies tend to do well in. Type-0 sales were massively in favour of the PS4 worldwide. I would imagine FF15 pre-orders would be similar.

Like, it's probably too late to drop the Xbone version of FF15, but don't act too surprised if FF16 gives the Xbone a miss.

Putty

The animations and graphics are probably some of the best out right now for this type of game.

The framerate sucks, though. It illuminates how much current-gen consoles are struggling to keep pace with truly cutting edge tech.

Hyperbole. Lets see what the finl outcome is when the game actually lands.

thelastword

Banned
sigh....

Also, this game patently runs like crap and kinda looks terrible IMO. Great assets being destroyed by poor IQ and performance.
IQ is not at the normal PS4 standard, but technically it's doing things that put other open world games to shame. (yet it's only a very early demo).

The good thing about all this, is that they mentioned so many moons ago that their target is 1080p 30fps, so we know they intend to boost the resolution and sort out the framerate. I don't know of any FF game on release that was an eyesore IQ wise relative to the standards that existed at the time either.

I'm sure if the game was not as accomplished technically and doing 1080 30fps now, you'd say it's doing nothing amazing (technically) etc.....it was probably a slippery slope either way. There is one thing I know, is that when it comes to graphics, Square is certainly not one to question.

Arkeband

Banned
Hyperbole. Lets see what the finl outcome is when the game actually lands.

What's hyperbole, that consoles are struggling or that it's a contender for best looking for an open-world RPG? Both of those are factual statements. Even the DF article sounds wary that it might have set its sights a little too high for the PS4, and certainly for the XBO.

Putty

What's hyperbole, that consoles are struggling or that it's a contender for best looking for an open-world RPG? Both of those are factual statements. Even the DF article sounds wary that it might have set its sights a little too high for the PS4, and certainly for the XBO.

The game isn't out for well over a year...If the game was out next week different story....but a game so far out managing to get close to 30fps is OK in my book.

tried the demo and i noticed that it was a bit glitchy. froze twice. and i had to delete my save file because Noctis was invincible. ended up deleting the update because it happened again.

also itt:"Please cancel the xbox one version and put it on pc"

Kintaro

I wasn't aware you saw enough pre-release games and are familiar enough with software development to make that call.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

So, given the history of open world games, their recent history, the amount of bugs, issues and such that require patches long after the game's release... you don't expect any of these once the game launches? You expect this to be 30 FPS locked? All good?

I may not be in software development, but I don't think you need to be to expect a good chance at all of this happening.

I mean, hell, they patched a DEMO. A demo which had many, many issues on its own. A small demo. Of a gigantic game. Patched. Come on now. I hope the game is great, but a smooth ride, especially after this long, I do not expect.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Just admit Japanese devs are shit at this point. After the witcher you can't blame the xbone hardware.

Dude, FFXV is pushing far more on screen. I'd bet it's the most demanding game we've seen so far. So I guess the strengths and weaknesses of both systems will come at play here.

I mean, hell, they patched a DEMO. A demo which had many, many issues on its own. A small demo. Of a gigantic game. Patched. Come on now. I hope the game is great, but a smooth ride, especially after this long, I do not expect.
The only reason they patched this demo was because it was originally supposed to release in June/Summer but it was rushed to launch alongside Type-0 HD in March. You can figure out the rest of it.

Dude, FFXV is pushing far more on screen. I'd bet it's the most demanding game we've seen so far. .

I am pretty sure the witcher 3 has more vegetation on screen then FFXV, but I would say FFXV has higher quality character models, has more geometry per model, and is using some more expensive effects (SSR on all surfaces, rather than water only, etc..).

El_Chino

I don't imagine Square Enix are really putting a ton of work into the Xbox One version. They probably know most people have the demo on PS4 so they focused on that.

I agree. It's a shame really. Multiplatform games should get equal attention and quality checks.

Kintaro

The only reason they patched this demo was because it was originally supposed to release in June/Summer but it was rushed to launch alongside Type-0 HD in March. You can figure out the rest of it.

Aight then. Where is my magic system? Was this version rushed too? When is 3.0? =)

Personally, that is when I'll be able to tell if this system is headed in the right direction or not.

thelastword

Banned
I am pretty sure the witcher 3 has more vegetation on screen then FFXV, but I would say FFXV has higher quality character models, has more geometry per model, and is using some more expensive effects (SSR on all surfaces, rather than water only, etc..).
Perhaps more vegetation, but a significantly lower quality vegetation than what's in FFXV. More expensive effects in W3? apparently you have not played FFXV demo, did you even watch some footage at the very least?

Aight then. Where is my magic system? Was this version rushed too? When is 3.0? =)

Personally, that is when I'll be able to tell if this system is headed in the right direction or not.
They confirmed right from the get go that there won't be magic in the demo. So it was never going to be in there until the final game.

The demo also changed a lot in term of the actual content. Originally, the car was going to be drivable to give the player a feel of the open world exploration but they removed it later to better convey the on-feet exploration, and perhaps focus on the combat and encounters.

The final game will have magic, different type of summons (the demo one is just a test and won't be like that in the final game) and will have a customizable and drivable car. We will probably see some of it at Gamescom.

Lastly there won't be any more update to the demo. Starting from Gamescom, the marketing will officially kick off leading into a hopefully 2016 release.

artsi

You're talking like they had to patch it because it had so many problems. They didn't do it to squash bugs, they released a new version just to showcase some new features they worked on after 1.0 and the feedback round.

Perhaps more vegetation, but a significantly lower quality vegetation than what's in FFXV. More expensive effects in W3? apparently you have not played FFXV demo, did you even watch some footage at the very least?

I meant FFV is using more expensive effects. Maybe my sentence does not reflect that so well.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I agree. It's a shame really. Multiplatform games should get equal attention and quality checks.

Really not, especially in lopsided sells.
If 85% of your consumers are on a platform, you better focus on that one.

Really not, especially in lopsided sells.
If 85% of your consumers are on a platform, you better focus on that one.
FFXV is not going to be a traditional JRPG. It is going for more action approach which appeals to the Xbox One owners more. It is possible that the game sells more than Type-0 HD, which was a portable remake anyways.

sensui-tomo

FFXV is not going to be a traditional JRPG. It is going for more action approach which appeals to the Xbox One owners more. It is possible that the game sells more than Type-0 HD, which was a portable remake anyways.

you do know the xbox only has numbers in one of their 3 (maybe 4 if you count china?) markets, really at this point i wonder how much they'll get back from sales since EU,JPN are sony dominated, while the usa is the only place where the xbox is sorta close (not sure anymore since i've never kept up with companies and their numbers) Now I dont wish for nobody to not play this, I'm just wondering from a buisiness standpoint why this game (and KH for that matter) are being made for a console where sales were so bad for the last title, a handheld title sold better on a vita (ffx on vita vs ff13-3 xbox) when the market doesnt buy the games, Hell the only reason there were japanese made rpgs on the 360 was because microsoft handed out wads of money to devs (then those devs made superior ps3 ports (Tales of vesperia and that other game with the music themed story) and were reluctant to put ff14 because of their cross play clause.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
you do know the xbox only has numbers in one of their 3 (maybe 4 if you count china?) markets, really at this point i wonder how much they'll get back from sales since EU,JPN are sony dominated, while the usa is the only place where the xbox is sorta close (not sure anymore since i've never kept up with companies and their numbers) Now I dont wish for nobody to not play this, I'm just wondering from a buisiness standpoint why this game (and KH for that matter) are being made for a console where sales were so bad for the last title, a handheld title sold better on a vita (ffx on vita vs ff13-3 xbox) when the market doesnt buy the games, Hell the only reason there were japanese made rpgs on the 360 was because microsoft handed out wads of money to devs (then those devs made superior ps3 ports (Tales of vesperia and that other game with the music themed story) and were reluctant to put ff14 because of their cross play clause.
Back in 2013, Square Enix thought MS would be doing a lot better than they are now.

I praise it in this very thread. I just think the total package is not too great in its current state. As in... far below what should be par.
Ok, noted, the vegetation comment still stands though. W3's vegetation may be more plentiful but in no way does it compare in quality.
Would you mind posting some close up shots of the vegetation?

omonimo

Banned
Then really need to get those performance issues ironed out 13fps is not ok. The game looks like it plays great but I wouldn't touch anything that performed like that.

I'd rather recognize the bad performance and speak about it then say it's ok and let more companies follow that path. Even if it's a demo and probably will get fixed if we aren't vocal about performance issues we are just gonna keep getting more games with them.
Where I have said we should to ignore the others performance problem ? It's not what I meant.

Global illumination gives FFXV a notable edge over TW3 in terms of lighting. Also, there's a more pronounced display of particle effects here. The weather simulation in TW3 is quite remarkable, though, but that's something Square Enix is also looking to add to FFXV in a future build.

When you say that you think the game looks "kinda terrible", you're putting greater emphasis on IQ/LOD while overlooking what its graphics engine is accomplishing. It's just that the developer seems to be prioritizing fidelity over IQ at this point. That said, we can probably expect better AA coverage in the final build, but I doubt the 1080p target would be achieved on the ps4.

P.S. LOD seems be on par with that of the ps4 version of TW3. I'm guessing you were comparing it to the PC version?

Global illumination gives FFXV a notable edge over TW3 in terms of lighting. Also, there's a more pronounced display of particle effects here. The weather simulation in TW3 is quite remarkable, though, but that's something Square Enix is also looking to add to FFXV in a future build.
TW3 does have GI of some sort, it is just not.. .consistent. Do you have any screen showing off the GI in this game?
When you say that you think the game looks "kinda terrible", you're putting greater emphasis on IQ/LOD while overlooking what its graphics engine is accomplishing. It's just that the developer seems to be prioritizing fidelity over IQ at this point. That said, we can probably expect better AA coverage in the final build, but I doubt the 1080p target would be achieved.
I do think almost any scaling to 1080p looks terrible. So yeah.

I do hope they get it to 1080.
P.S. LOD seems be on par with that of the ps4 version of TW3. I'm guessing you were comparing it to the PC version?
Perhaps I did. Need to go look back at some PS4 TW3 footage.

I kind of agree with some of what you are saying. I think it is precisely because the game at the moment, which overall still looks fantastic in my opinion, looks like it is running equivalent of medium settings max if was on PC, versus W3 which is at least High. Some aspects look very impressive which only makes the lack of AA and poor IQ and LoD even more evident. Still I am hoping it will be cleaned up towards release and certainly upresed. Otherwise, I am still very impressed, particularly by the modelling which is as good as anything out there, never mind open world games.

TW3 does have GI of some sort, it is just not.. .consistent.

I was actually going by what was said here:

We ended up not using Global Illumination, light bouncing and reflecting… this is similar to what I mentioned previously with visual effects, an area where things keep getting better every year, but these really cool solutions are still far too expensive to use in a complex game. So to add more detail to the lighting, the whole world is covered in “lighting and reflection” probes, that analyse the surrounding area and light it accordingly. It does a pretty good job.

http://www.*****************/2015/0...her-lighting-consoles-graphics-and-much-more/

(Edit: Apologies, didn't know the site was banned here.)

Though, I do believe there is some sort of baked GI in there.

Do you have any screen showing off the GI in this game?

I can't seem to spot light bouncing or color bleeding in any of DF's screens, but I do believe it's there. The cave lair is probably a good area to test this in. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my ps4 these days, so can't take screens of my own. Though, the lead graphics engineer does confirm its there in this video (0:47).

artsi

I'm excited to see how light is used in the final game, the system is very nice.

http://gfycat.com/EarlyTintedKusimanse

Do you have any screen showing off the GI in this game?

It's always present and you can see it affect the whole picture, especially indoors, but here's the most obvious example of the light bouncing back to the wall behind him.

Epmd5aH.jpg

Indoors you can see the whole room is very naturally lit with light bouncing from many directions.

This is from an older demo buy you can see the global illumination here too, nice soft light even in the shade.

It's a very subtle effect, but makes a great difference how natural the lighting looks overall.

The tech is pretty spectacular but boy oh boy that performance.

At this point it seems like they are maybe biting off a bit more than they can chew on these systems. Hate to say it but as beautiful as this game is, it has some of the worst image quality I have seen this gen so far.

Hopefully they can get it sorted. It's not like Square don't know what they are doing. Their technology has always been incredible.

People in here bitching about the framerate of an UNFINISHED game.

Apparently none of them know that optimization is literally one of the last things any dev does to a game before going gold.

People in here bitching about the framerate of an UNFINISHED game.

Apparently none of them know that optimization is literally one of the last things any dev does to a game before going gold.

I think you may be overestimating the effect of the optimization you are talking about. I'm struggling to think of a game that had performance problems this severe before launch that didn't ship with performance problems.

It will of course perform better than it is right now by release, but the idea that it will maintain 30FPS is shaky. We'll see.

Top Bottom