• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: Episode Duscae revisited

Yeah but barely any of their owners bought Type-0.

Speaking for myself, I have zero interest in Type-0, but every intention in buying FF15. Yes, you'll find more FF fans who own PS4, but to use sales of a last gen handheld port to predict the sales of what will be one of the biggest titles this gen is a bit silly.

Just looking at this again...

https://youtu.be/AnKHmB2zXcc?t=0m45s

Man...this just looks stupidly good.

I don't think that'll be achievable on PS4 since this was for all intents and purposes a tech demo, but it would be great if SE could bring back those exact lighting conditions and also the cloud cover on the huge open fields. I think those two things are what I notice the most.

FF character design makes me wanna throw up these days, but enemies and music are nice. Probably gonna play it for nostaliga. :/

Blame Nomura who created these characters years ago. We are now stuck with it till the next Ff.

Yeah, it is really bad. Gotta love these douchebags who probably spend 3 hours doing their hair before going into a fight. I know this is nothing new in FF, but I am an old grumpy man and can't identify with this stuff anymore.

nOoblet16

It should be noted that Witcher 3 doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of animation priority as FFXV does. And that they were going for a way more realistic combat based on how it's described in the books, so lots of faint attacks, pirouettes and parries.
MjqqQVH.jpg

1248743195861580462.gif

http://gfycat.com/CrispOffbeatElk

It looks quite good and I for one certainly wouldn't say that they're stiff or that they lack variety of detail. The actual attack is dependent on the distance from the enemy and Geralt even pulls his sheath up when he puts his sword in. And I prefer these kinda combat animations over what's seen in FFXV, which is incredible with it's character animation but at the cost of player input.
Look at the second gif you posted for example, he's standing on a slope but his movement is as if he's still on a flat surface !

Whenever people talk about animation they talk about animation blending (with environment and between animations) and how well the characters move about. The combat animation is a set of canned animation apart from that everything looks very stiff and it shows especially when you are moving around the world. If you look at the first witcher game you'll see that the actual combat animations (eventhough sped up) are very realistic in terms of sword movement and that's because those are canned, there is no procedural stuff and that the character movement outside of these canned animations are quite shit. It's similar for Dark Souls games, fantastic looking move set but the actual character is floaty as fuck and never really appears connected to the surface.

FF character design makes me wanna throw up these days, but enemies and music are nice. Probably gonna play it for nostaliga. :/

This is my main complaint against Final Fantasy ever since Nomura took point. They all look the same. Cloud looks like Lightning looks like Noctis, and they all look like wannabe visual kei rockstars that spend an inordinate amount of time on their hairdo. The most relatable post-Amano character designs have IMO been those of IX and XII.

they worked with MS on something "cry vol.2" so i guess they will improve it in final build

Where did you see this? They've only shown "WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry]" so far, but it implies there will be further chapters/updates to it.

I stumbled upon SE's tech publication library with lots of Luminous related stuff and it's quite impressive.
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/info/library/
I also stumbled upon this tonight, independently. Interesting coincidence.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Look at the second gif you posted for example, he's standing on a slope but his movement is as if he's still on a flat surface !

Whenever people talk about animation they talk about animation blending (with environment and between animations) and how well the characters move about. The combat animation is a set of canned animation apart from that everything looks very stiff and it shows especially when you are moving around the world. If you look at the first witcher game you'll see that the actual combat animations (eventhough sped up) are very realistic in terms of sword movement and that's because those are canned, there is no procedural stuff and that the character movement outside of these canned animations are quite shit. It's similar for Dark Souls games, fantastic looking move set but the actual character is floaty as fuck and never really appears connected to the surface.
It should be noted that that second gif is from pre-release footage since I can't find a good gif of whirl, which is a prolonged animation compared to the tapping inputs in the first gif. Admittedly the walking doesn't look as good as some other games but Geralt does adjust his weight according when on slopes. More than can be said for a lot of open world games. Animations like parrying also blend very naturally with the combat.

Ushay

Come back when Witcher has these animations.

rfpobsuipr.gif

Come back when FF15 has a coherent storyline. Really now, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Different genres of RPG, different settings, combat systems and themes. ONe is more grounded in reality than the other.

That being said, I think FF15 looks gorgeous.

Come back when FF15 has a coherent storyline. Really now, this is like comparing apples to oranges. Different genres of RPG, different settings, combat systems and themes. ONe is more grounded in reality than the other.

Comparing a demo to an already released game...

And yeah no way they would ever drop the XB1 version, imagine how bad that would be for business relationships.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

What does a coherent storyline have to do with a technology thread? And how is he going to come back? Wait a year? Lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

How can anyone not find the basic synopsis of XV coherent?

Go_Ly_Dow

I quite enjoy the overly styalized character designs of XV and the contrast with the particular environment of Duscae. In some environments the designs will blend, such as Insomnia and in other it shall be jarring.

That's what I've always wanted. A world where characters travel around and the variety and difference is obvious. Not like other games set in one country with aesthetics in one culture like many other RPGs have. (Medieval/Tolkien fantasy or post apocalyptic wasteland...rinse & repeat).

Like if a young group of teenagers from Tokyo went to Africa you would get the same jarring affect as XV.

Its fine and perfectly aligned with what they've always wanted this title to be. Big, varied and jarring like the real world.

artsi

I quite enjoy the overly styalized character designs of XV and the contrast with the particular environment of Duscae. In some environments the designs will blend, such as Insomnia and in other it shall be jarring.

That's what I've always wanted. A world where characters travel around and thr variery and difference is obvious not just one country with aesthetics in one culture like many other RPGs have. (Medieval/Tolkien fantasy or post apocalyptic).

Like if a young group of teenagers from Tokyo went to Africa you would get the same jarring affect as XV.

Its fine and perfectly aligned with what they've always wanted this title to be.

I agree, and it's cool that in Duscae you can hear people looking and commenting on the luxury car, it feels very alive to me and I hope it extends to the whole game.

thelastword

Banned
The tech is impressive, but that's meaningless when the resolution is atrocious. I really hope they can get it up to 1080p on PS4 before it comes out, because anything less is unacceptable.
This is my stance as well for the most part, but I feel we can't judge the IQ in a conclusive manner yet since the target is indeed 1080p. We can only look at the IQ and even it's performance as work in progress for the time being. Now, if the game was already released then that would be a different story entirely.

Go_Ly_Dow

I agree, and it's cool that in Duscae you can hear people looking and commenting on the luxury car, it feels very alive to me and I hope it extends to the whole game.

Exactly.

The country bumpkin nature of Duscae Is great. And then you have the city slicker main characters.

A great taster of what's to come and then some.

Philippo

That's what I've always wanted. A world where characters travel around and the variety and difference is obvious. Not like other games set in one country with aesthetics in one culture like many other RPGs have. (Medieval/Tolkien fantasy or post apocalyptic wasteland...rinse & repeat).

Its fine and perfectly aligned with what they've always wanted this title to be. Big, varied and jarring like the real world.

25gdoph.gif~original

Can't wait to see how much crazier and fantasy-ish the other enviroments will be, and how it'll feel riding through them with the car.

omonimo

Banned
Jeez this graphic. A pity I hate with all myself jrpg. I just don't get it the combat system. Handle menu and submenu during a combat,it ruins completely the immersion in a game, for my tastes. Just I can't.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't believe it does.
It doesn't have it, but every light in the game is dynamic according to CDPR.

The Witcher 3? How much of it is dynamic, and how much is baked?

JT: Lighting is absolutely crucial! And making an open-world game with always changing lighting conditions was a huge challenge. Every light in the game is dynamic, even some effects cast lights too, you can walk up to almost every light source and extinguish or ignite its flame, nothing is baked!

We ended up not using Global Illumination, light bouncing and reflecting… this is similar to what I mentioned previously with visual effects, an area where things keep getting better every year, but these really cool solutions are still far too expensive to use in a complex game. So to add more detail to the lighting, the whole world is covered in “lighting and reflection” probes, that analyse the surrounding area and light it accordingly. It does a pretty good job.

I made it to the city and was slightly disappointed in the interiors.

Jeez this graphic. A pity I hate with all myself jrpg. I just don't get it the combat system. Handle menu and submenu during a combat,it ruins completely the immersion in a game, for my tastes. Just I can't.
This is not even a tradtional JRPG. It is all action. You don't even have a menu this time around and not even the attack button as UI like in Witcher 3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For this title i've been waiting for 10 years for, i honestly would hope they would optimize framerate first and then bump up the res based on how far they get.

They have more than a year(assuming holiday 2016), so i'm not saying they cant do 1080p at all, i'm actually optimistic.

With that being said, i can't stand the mindset this gen to ship a game with crappy performance and then try and fix it in patches after shipping. Get the performance solid first and foremost, and depending on that, then you can play with the res however you want.

Also, i have an issue with the terms thrown around

Tales has always been an action RPG, does that mean its not an JRPG? I've never understood how certain people put strange limitations on what makes a JRPG.

With that being said, i can't stand the mindset this gen to ship a game with crappy performance and then try and fix it in patches after shipping. Get the performance solid first and foremost, and depending on that, then you can play with the res however you want.

I couldn't agree more, well said.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I couldn't agree more, well said.

Thanks, i mean it makes sense right?

People are going to be more inclined to notice to a stuttering or tanking framerate then res, and if you have the capability for FHD but could not optimize it in time for launch, then you can bump it up after launch and get the good press that comes with an upgrade instead of bad press over a bad performance ratio that you cant fix for a GPU limited game without dropping it

It just makes no sense to me why devs dont do something like that if they know they are struggling during development

Chilikar

This is my main complaint against Final Fantasy ever since Nomura took point. They all look the same. Cloud looks like Lightning looks like Noctis, and they all look like wannabe visual kei rockstars that spend an inordinate amount of time on their hairdo. The most relatable post-Amano character designs have IMO been those of IX and XII.

If you put it that way, then all the Amano characters look effeminate and are scrawny. Nomura's designs are closer to the tastes of modern Japanese culture, and it's clearly working since he's one of the more popular designers in Japan right now. I'm just curious, what do you mean by relatable character designs?

I think the reason Cloud and Lightning look alike is because they wanted a strong female character, and the first character they thought of was Cloud. That's why she was designed similarly to Cloud, and even took on some characteristic traits from Advent Children.

EDIT:

I wouldn't worry too much about Square Enix doing this tho. I mean KH2.5 came out without any patches, and it's pretty good performance wise (even if it was a PS2 game, they did have to port it to PS3 architecture). I have a little more faith in them, since I personally believe them to be magical tech wizards.

Snorlocs

As an xbox only owner all I want is for the game to run at a decent frame rate at least. I would love for the resolution to be bumped but the frame rate is most important. The combat for me has been affected because of how laggy it is. Just fix that please.

On Demand

Banned
You know, as much flak cdpr gets for Witcher 3 trees blowing in the wind so violently, I kind of like it. I wish ff15 incorporated something like like that. These trees look so lifeless compared to Witcher 3.

Trees that large wouldn't move from the wind that much. TW3 trees move like they're on crack. It doesn't look realistic.

Just looking at this again...

https://youtu.be/AnKHmB2zXcc?t=0m45s

Man...this just looks stupidly good.

I don't think that'll be achievable on PS4 since this was for all intents and purposes a tech demo, but it would be great if SE could bring back those exact lighting conditions and also the cloud cover on the huge open fields. I think those two things are what I notice the most.

I can only hope the final game looks like that on PS4. A PC version would be welcomed honestly. I don't have a gaming PC but i would love to see how far they can push the engine.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What?

You really think that there aren't enough Xbox Ones out there to warrant multiplats?
C'mon man.

Hu?
Nobody is saying that.

i'm just saying that if the split is 85\15 for PS4 and XBone, PS4 optimization is higher priority.

Hyunashi

Yeah, it is really bad. Gotta love these douchebags who probably spend 3 hours doing their hair before going into a fight. I know this is nothing new in FF, but I am an old grumpy man and can't identify with this stuff anymore.

Wow. So much anger. Im happy with the designs. Can always count on SE for interesting characters.

SparkTR

As sad as some wanting the xbox version scrapped to facilitate a PC version? Lol yea very sad.

They both are pretty sad. In a consolidating AAA industry removing avenues for growth is an idea that won't get past third party studios often anymore, AAA developers need to take what they can get. Even if only 25% of the games sales will be on the XBO, that's a percentage a AAA developer can't afford to miss, same goes with elsewhere like PC.

Nerokis

Wow. So much anger. Im happy with the designs. Can always count on SE for interesting characters.

Yup. The hair thing makes perfect sense, anyway. Look at how soccer players run around like crazy, fall constantly, end up super sweaty, gross, sometimes a bit bloody...yet at the end of a game, they still have this pitch perfect, wonderful, often times ridiculous hair.

Fantasy Based on Reality indeed.

killatopak

Yup. The hair thing makes perfect sense, anyway. Look at how soccer players run around like crazy, fall constantly, end up super sweaty, gross, sometimes a bit bloody...yet at the end of a game, they still have this pitch perfect, wonderful, often times ridiculous hair.

Fantasy Based on Reality indeed.

I would not want to play as a super sweaty, gross and sometimes bloody character in my game. Thanks.

Xenus

They both are pretty sad. In a consolidating AAA industry removing avenues for growth is an idea that won't get past third party studios often anymore, AAA developers need to take what they can get. Even if only 25% of the games sales will be on the XBO, that's a percentage a AAA developer can't afford to miss, same goes with elsewhere like PC.

25% at this point is being ridiculously kind. It's probably going to be sub 10%.

Top Bottom