• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gears 5 Tech Demo on XsX - In depth analysis

The DF crew crew provides analysis of the impressive Gears 5 tech demo running on XsX

(Updating as I watch)

- XsX has 60fps cutscenes (up from 30fps on previous consoles)
- Demo was rushed together in 2 weeks, not highly optimized yet
- XsX version using Ultra HD textures
- loads in 13 seconds, down from 32 seconds on One X
- XsX draw distance pushed way further, matching PC Ultra setting. Less pop in. Draw distance detail increased
- Added screen space shadows
- SSR expanded out, evenly used across environment
- Improved volumetric fog/lighting
- Screen space global illumination added in XsX version
- Areas that were overly bright are now more naturally shaded
- Running the benchmark utility on the XsX (4k resolution) is comparable to a RTX 2080 with Threadripper 2950x
- If they add in mesh-shading and VRS it could run even faster
- They are aiming to update multiplayer to run at 120fps on XsX

Thank you D dark10x and crew for the stellar coverage

Last edited:

Neur4lN01s3

Neophyte
well, they are getting G5 running with higher specs than pc ultra at 4K 100fps with no effort

Last edited:

Stuart360

13 seconds loading time? Too much! Give me lower res and lower FPS and instead 8 seconds loading time.
Thank you.
Why the hell did Microsoft chase a more powerful gpu, faster ram, and a faster cpu, when they could of given us a faster SSD and saved me a few extra seconds!. Dont Microsoft realize that no one has any time now in the current world, i could do so much with those extra few seconds!. :messenger_beaming:

13 second load time, i am surprised at that, for some reason i was thinking 2 or 3 seconds.
That's just the raw Xbox One code version running on an SX without any optimization for the SSD. Just the power of the new console alone shave about 20 seconds from the load time, and this port was done in just two weeks and is now running on ultra level textures which would probably impact the load times with or without the SSD.

Imagine it being built for the SSD from the ground up. You probably would be seeing times in the 3-6 second range.

Matsuchezz

But I though the XsX could do these "upgrades" on the fly without anyone touching the code. So in reality, they do need to touch the games to get improvements on them. Or this is the smart Delivery then, where the new assests and configurations are downloaded to the XsX. I am not sure, but I guess the disc in the XsX drive will authenticate the license "thingy" and download the XsX enhanced version.

The game looks good, but i find really odd that the character is being hit by those white enemies, and he does not get any reaction, is that normal in the final game?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
The DF crew crew provides analysis of the impressive Gears 5 tech demo running on XsX

(Updating as I watch)

- XsX draw distance pushed way further, matching PC Ultra setting. Less pop in. Draw distance detail increased
- Running the benchmark utility on the XsX (4k resolution) is comparable to a RTX 2080 with Threadripper 2950x

Stuff like this might push me to get nextbox. This breaks down is very helpful.. Like what I'm hearing and mp at 120 niceee

But I though the XsX could do these "upgrades" on the fly without anyone touching the code. So in reality, they do need to touch the games to get improvements on them. Or this is the smart Delivery then, where the new assests and configurations are downloaded to the XsX. I am not sure, but I guess the disc in the XsX drive will authenticate the license "thingy" and download the XsX enhanced version.
For BC games, the upgrades are pretty much automatic at least to a point where the developer doesn't need to touch the game for it to work better. For Xbox One games i'm not so sure because the things they added must be done manually as far as i know. I'm sure the resolution and framerates can be done just by playing on better specs so the game matches them, but for adding entire new graphic features i think would need to be done by patch, or built with an XB1 & SX version from the get go.

ZywyPL

Banned
Gears 5 is the new playground for MS just as Forza 6 was back when they were developing X1X. They will keep throwing everything they can into the game to see where the console's maximum limits are, measure everything they can, and design their next-gen titles based on that data. And just as with those Forza experiments back then, the initial, should I say rushed results are very optimistic.

thelastword

Banned

(Updating as I watch)

I was telling folk we will see 120FPS games, especially indies, AA games, multiplayer games like COD, QUAKE ARENA etc.....I'm happy to see you have this as the biggest font in your breakdown......There was so much pessimism about it before...

This is how "remasters" should be handled with next gen. Have 2-3 people patch in PC ultra settings (or push even further) for 1-2 weeks and be done with it, no need to go wild with any optimization issues or whatnot.
If people don't want to patch their games to add another performance profile, let the console handle resolution and framerate improvements by injecting/overwriting code.

I hope Playground Games will do the same for Forza Horizon, would love to see that game with less foliage pop-in and 4K/60.

I'm seriously considering getting this console instead of a new GPU next year.

This is how "remasters" should be handled with next gen. Have 2-3 people patch in PC ultra settings (or push even further) for 1-2 weeks and be done with it, no need to go wild with any optimization issues or whatnot.
If people don't want to patch their games to add another performance profile, let the console handle resolution and framerate improvements by injecting/overwriting code.

I hope Playground Games will do the same for Forza Horizon, would love to see that game with less foliage pop-in and 4K/60.

I'm seriously considering getting this console instead of a new GPU next year.

I’m salivating thinking of Forza Horizon series on XsX

Filippos

Banned
I was telling folk we will see 120FPS games, especially indies, AA games, multiplayer games like COD, QUAKE ARENA etc.....I'm happy to see you have this as the biggest font in your breakdown......There was so much pessimism about it before...

fuck I bought OLED last year. you need a new HDMI 2.1 TV for that. bummer

Didn't watch yet, but did they put motion blur back? That was one thing that made it look a lot worse than the reveal trailer

Isn't the XsX even more like a PC? (Seems like consoles are blurring the line more and more each gen.) So, why use the XB1 code and not the PC code which already has the unlocked frames, support for higher res, assets, etc.?

sdrawkcab

Banned
Isn't the XsX even more like a PC? (Seems like consoles are blurring the line more and more each gen.) So, why use the XB1 code and not the PC code which already has the unlocked frames, support for higher res, assets, etc.?
I think this was done solely to demonstrate how easy it is to port from Xbox One to Series X. Two weeks, with little to no optimizations and that kind of performance isn't bad at all.

Top Bottom