• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Hardware AA from an HDMI cable? mCable Gaming Edition Review.

JP

I've been waiting for this one.

It really seems a bit of a mixed bag. It is useful for some games, mainly on Switch, while it actually lowers the image quality on other games so you will need to manually swap HDMI cables and alter the resolution in the Switch settings if you really want to get the best possible image quality using this.
  • Only really useful for games with lower image quality so it can be useful on some Switch games. Not so many benefits on the other consoles and PC. On PC there are far better ways of adding AA on a software level.
  • Deactivates itself if it receives a 4K signal.
  • Can improve things at lower resolutions, particularly if your panel isn't so good at upscaling images. 720p and 480p are better than 1080p.
  • To get the best benefits from Switch, don't let the console output at a higher resolution that it's rendering at. If it's a 720p game, it's best to output at 720p but you'll manually alter this in the console settings each time that you change to a game that renders at different resolutions.
  • Don't use it on all games, you'll need to swap it for a standard HDMI cable on some games or it will soften the image.
  • Lag is imperceptible.

Last edited:

nowhat

It sounds intriguing for a Switch, but...

To get the best benefits from Switch, don't let the console output at a higher resolution that it's rendering at. If it's a 720p game, it's best to output at 720p but you'll manually alter this in the console settings each time that you change to a game that renders at different resolutions.

...yeah, no. I'm a lazy fuck. I will not be switching resolutions based on a game.

JP

nowhat nowhat
Yeah, it seems to be far from the ideal solution for anything really but I suppose it is the only really option available for people on the Switch. As well as having to manually change resolutions some Switch games are actually better without the cable and that means having to swap cables sometimes or at least use a couple of HDMI ports to have this and a standard cable plugged in and you just swap them when you need to.

The asking price is far too high for something that seems to be so hit and miss.

goldenpp72

Seems like a pretty cool but also very limited usage cable. I wonder, has anyone tried mixing it with a Framemeister and older consoles?

radewagon

Post your review

I actually posted it to gaf a while ago in the original mcable thread. Lots of gaffers contributed some great comparison pics in that thread.

Here's a link to my review for those that don't want to search for it. I really wish I had had some capture devices like the digital foundry guys. Instead, I just resorted to taking photos of my TV screen for my comparison shots. It's nowhere near as effective a way to showcase the cable's effectiveness. That said, I didn't focus much (at all) on benefits to PS4 games because I didn't really see the point. A thought echoed in the Digital Foundry review's assessment of the cable.

Top Bottom