• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Metal Gear Survive (PS4/Pro/Xbox One/X) Final Code

Leonidas

-typically 60fps w/ similar drops on Xbox One X, PS4 and PS4 Pro
-sub 60fps mostly on the original Xbox One/S
-X uses native 1440p
-standard PS4 uses 1600x1080
-PS4 Pro renders at ~1088x1440 with a temporal reconstruction of two frames to reach an output of ~2134x1440*
-PS4 Pro temporal reconstruction causes dithering, shimmering artifacts
-artifacts can be removed on PS4 Pro by running the game at the base PS4 resolution

pixel counts(taken from the article)
Xbox One X: 2560x1440 (135% more than PS4 Pro, 4x base hardware)
PS4: 1600x1080 (88% more than XBO, 10% more than PS4 Pro)
PS4 Pro: ~1088x1440(~70% more than XBO)
XBO: 1280x720

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-survive-playstation-xbox-final-code-analysis

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait PS4 renders 10% more pixels then Pro?
That can't be right

Leonidas

Wait PS4 renders 10% more pixels then Pro?
That can't be right

Pro renders more horizontal pixels but is using a rendering technique(seems similar to the one used in Killzone Shadowfall multiplayer) which cuts the rendered vertical pixels in half. Reading up on the technique used in KZ Shadowfall it seems that sort of reconstruction is a bit more demanding than the pixel count suggests.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What an utter balls up. The original game looks a lot better and plays a lot better to boot, yet this thing... good lord. How did it get so screwed up? This should be 4K 60 locked on Xbox one x.

Even worse is that the original Xbox runs it at 720p? Is this a joke?

Both Konami and Capcomare really dropping the ball with pro/x stuff recently.

I knew it was a wise division to NOT buy this the other day. Nearly impulse bought it too...

Leonidas

Because it isn't PS4 Pro render 2134x1440 it's just done in 2 passes you will never see 1088x1440 in a frame.

The video shows a moment where you do see ~1088x1440 before it is reconstructed a few frames later...

Last edited:
I can somewhat understand the performance drop from 5. When you actually play the game you see it's doing a lot of fancy stuff with lighting, fog, and larger enemy counts. The environment also seems to be slightly more dynamic, and there's AIs interacting with each other (i.e. fighting) in a way I don't remember in 5. It's not a generational shift or anything, but I can see why it could require a resolution drop.

JaffeLion

Banned
Again, the gap between xbox one X and ps4 Pro is LARGER than the gap between xbox one and ps4 pro. lol

xbox one x is such a beast. truly nextgen

thelastword

Banned
DF says there's some type of reconstruction, but can't say what it is, my word......In any case, Konami has always had some weird resolutions like MGS4's 1024 x 768, like we were using 14" CRT monitors then..SMH.....Still, don't know why devs aren't using CB, they'd rather use all Z tier reprojection. reconstruction methods when in this title, 1800CB with TAA would look much better.....

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the FOX engine, but it's also quite evident that a lot of the top persons who worked on it, and improved it from 720p to 900p on XB-ONE are no longer at Konami, and have since parted for a better work environment under Kojima. Another thing to note, is that there are more enemies on screen with more effects in Survive, so that carries a GPU hit as well, so the lowered rez is understandable, still, if Kojima was around, results would still have been better than they are here, no doubt....

Last edited:
Top Bottom