• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

Marlenus

It definitely is not. There are plenty of areas where tearing rears its head - particularly at night. The PS4 version is far more consistent overall.

With the AF issues that seem to occur in a lot of games for both consoles is there any chance you could speak to some devs about this to get some actual feedback as to why this is turned down or off. It is even more puzzling here where we know that a) 16x AF seems to work on the PC with no issue, b) the Xbox One version does have AF and c) the PS4 has more memory bandwidth so should suffer less from AF than the Xbox One.

I just find it really strange and I have not come across an explanation that seems plausible.

omonimo

Banned
What thing? I'm not saying the XB1 version should run at 60fps due to higher clock speeds and half a core more for compute, just that it's odd that despite all that it actually lacks 3-5 fps behind the PS4.
It's not odd. Xbone memories it's even worse of the 360 for game like this. In such games this problem will appears more frequently, don't be surprise.

Honestly, from the first two stills the XB1 looks superior from a IQ point of view. The floor and wallpaper in the apartment and the the outside scene look noticeably better in the XB1 shots.

wapplew

Xbox games getting closer and closer to full hd each sdk update yet PS4 stay the same.
by the time dx12 hit, all gap be gone.

What thing? I'm not saying the XB1 version should run at 60fps due to higher clock speeds and half a core more for compute, just that it's odd that despite all that it actually lacks 3-5 fps behind the PS4.

The drops I experienced mostly come from heavy foliage which is GPU bound.

Majanew

Banned
So Xbox One version isn't 1920x1080 even after Techland said the game is native 1080p on both? Nice. :|

PS4's struggle with AF is pretty damn disappointing.

Marlenus

Yeah, that surely must be it...

Well it is not off in all games so there is obviously something in the API devs can do to enable the feature.

The fact it is off in a lot of games though, especially when the performance impact is minimal, is just utterly weird.

I cannot make any sense of it to be honest and I think it would be interesting to investigate what is actually going on.

thebloo

Well it is not off in all games so there is obviously something in the API devs can do to enable the feature.

The fact it is off in a lot of games though, especially when the performance impact is minimal, is just utterly weird.

I cannot make any sense of it to be honest and I think it would be interesting to investigate what is actually going on.

Something is clearly weird. But saying that it's "off by default" is silly. These are developers, they don't really forget stuff like this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Almost all normal engines play well with AF. If not, they have specialized ways of doing AF (AF for virtual texturing at stuff).

The lack of AF in so many PS4 releases at this point is pointing toward either a really really really odd developer preference, an SDK issue???? or a hardware performance problem with AF.
It has to be something SDK related at this point. Most of the PS4 games with it are exclusives who are generally used to working around things like that.

dumbo

Personally the use of that chromatic thingy is annoying as hell (some of the screenshots seem a blurry/headache inducing mess).

But, that's probably just me :).

On Demand

Banned
It's not odd. Xbone memories it's even worse of the 360 for game like this. In such games this problem will appears more frequently, don't be surprise.

I've mentioned plenty of times that the CPU boost wouldn't really change anything. Developers even said so themselves.

Now we move on to the 7th core.........Which Sony can free up too.

Marlenus

Something is clearly weird. But saying that it's "off by default" is silly. These are developers, they don't really forget stuff like this.

It could be something as daft as setting it in the API alone does not work and they have to have some sort of driver override to enable it. Kind of like forcing AF from the control panel of your graphics driver.

Reallink

Alright enough is enough. It's time for a thread dedicated solely to the lack of AF in consoles, seeking comments from active developers and real world situations.

chadskin

If the game is GPU bound they could have a ten times faster CPU and it wouldn't matter.

The drops I experienced mostly come from heavy foliage which is GPU bound.

Like previous Techland games I assumed it was pretty heavy on the CPU hence my surprise but if it's GPU-bound, Techland should have just reduced the resolution. In that type of game, 900p and a more stable framerate would've been much better imho.

Majanew

Banned
Personally the use of that chromatic thingy is annoying as hell (some of the screenshots seem a blurry/headache inducing mess).

But, that's probably just me :).

Nah, many of us hate chromatic aberration. Devs just seem to love that ugly shit.

It has to be something SDK related at this point. Most of the PS4 games with it are exclusives who are generally used to working around things like that.

What? Most PS4 games have it, exclusive or not. There's a handful that don't and people keep extrapolating the handful that don't as "most don't" for some reason.

I hope so. When people asked about it they were laughed at and ridiculed last. :(

IDK, I think it is a big deal. Especially for a game generation all about material and texture qaulity.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing more, I do think the devs really need to fix the weird frame-rate bug on PS4 where the frame-rate is allowed to jump over 30 fps. It's usually not an issue but, when tackling the indoor areas that are seemingly less demanding, it happens a lot and feels awful. Basically it seems to break the frame-rate cap for just a split second when looking around in less demanding areas. You can see the game lurch above 30 fps quite a bit when it happens. Quite jarring and clearly some sort of bug.

I think that's the most likely explanation.
Yeah, that's what I noted below those shots. The textures DO load in on Xbox One but it often lags behind leaving blurry textures on screen for a bit. Not pretty.

Why is PC performance so awful when both consoles are pretty stable 30fps?

PC performance is way higher than 30fps: it is what you want it to be based upon your hardware. PC offers much higher preset settings than the consoles have.

Depending whether you can lock the game at a consistent 30fps or 60fps is more a question of user time and the desire to tinker (unless you have a massive rig). But very rarely, some games, because of how unintuitively they were made or developed... just never run well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The only deal breaker for me is the Screen Tearing. It is my absolute biggest pet peeve when it comes to technical stuff that annoys me. The lack of AF is really weird I really hadn't noticed it as I have been playing the PS4 version for the last couple of days. The drop to 24fps on XB1 is a bad look.

I really do wonder what is going to happen later on in this gen when games get very demanding graphically. The analysis I am really looking forward to are Evolve, Batman AK and the Witcher III. I expect those games to be the most graphically demanding multiplat games this year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope so. When people asked about it they were laughed at and ridiculed last. :(

IDK, I think it is a big deal. Especially for a game generation all about material and texture qaulity.

I personally don't notice it too much after a point but I'd like to see at least 4x AF make it in. I think something like 1080p, good post process AA, and 4x AF would be a sweet spot for console image quality.

RK9039

Why is PC performance so awful when both consoles are pretty stable 30fps?

PC version has it's problems but it's still better than the consoles. For now some people are just having to knock a few of the settings down in order to get 60fps, even simple ones like field of view.

thelastword

Banned
Man, in this one section, this game is tearing like a mofo on the xbox one, I mean tearing for a long time. I guess they let it tear to hold frames and for better "control response" as df would typically say, even then, it drops frames in that area consistently, just as it tears.

PS4 looks like a locked 30 though, colors seem warmer and lighting pops a bit more, seems like the sun peaks a bit more a la far cry with it's god rays, IQ seem cleaner and better there too, at times trees and buildings in the foreground look very muddy on the Xbox one.

AF is clearly an issue, but the lod is pretty in your face, detail and textures load in 1" from where you walk, it's pretty apparent.

thebloo

It could be something as daft as setting it in the API alone does not work and they have to have some sort of driver override to enable it. Kind of like forcing AF from the control panel of your graphics driver.

And nobody (and I mean nobody) looked at it?

I really do wonder what is going to happen later on in this gen when games get very demanding graphically. The analysis I am really looking forward to are Evolve, Batman AK and the Witcher III. I expect those games to be the most graphically demanding multiplat games this year.

Game always look better towards the end of the generation, and usually, have performance to boot as well. You only have to look at something like Gears of War 3 or TLoU relative to earlier stand-out titles early in the generation.

abracadaver

PC version has it's problems but it's still better than the consoles. For now some people are just having to knock a few of the settings down in order to get 60fps, even simple ones like field of view.

I knocked a lot of settings down and the game still runs like shit. I get like 25fps average while probably looking worse than the PS4 version. I had no problems with alien or shadow of mordor for example. They both run with constant 60fps in high details but DL is terrible for me.

fFmb.png

DeweyChat

Banned
This game seems like kind of a mess technically all around. Except for the somewhat stable 30fps on ps4.

Wat?
The game is beautiful, lot of details, post process, atmospheric effects, night cycle, lamp with dynamic shadows, and a vert good aa solution.

Top Bottom