• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Pikmin 4 - DF Tech Review - An Unreal Graphics Boost For Nintendo?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A tech overhaul is afoot at Nintendo with Pikmin 4 making the jump to Unreal Engine - doing away with its in-house engine. The results impress: it moves to a dynamic 900p, boosts lighting and material quality and adds a host of post-effects to the experience. All round, the result is one of the Switch's best looking releases.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Complete graphical overhaul using Unreal Engine, as opposed to Nintendo's in-house tech.
- Pikmin 3 was 720p / 30 FPS with no AA, looked 'superb' for a 2013 release.

- Pikmin 4 is a clear upgrade. Docked: Dynamic 900p, 810p is more common. Portable is dynamic 720p, but averages at 664p in most areas.
- 30 FPS and uses anti aliasing with other Unreal effects like better DoF and Chromatic aberration.
- However, dynamic scaling does not eliminate aliasing, you can see geometry shifting in resolution and DoF also has low resolution aliasing

- Lighting and geometry are a huge upgrade over previous game(s).
- Locked 30 FPS with a single frame drop here and there. Not water-tight but very tight.
- "Surprise visual tour-de-force for the switch"

Last edited:

acm2000

if nintendo have sense they will be working with epic on engine optimisations and stuff to make sure their future handhelds are well supported in UE

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Game is beautiful. however, I do wish they would have swapped to higher-res textures when zoomed in during "cut scenes", because they look so bad and they know in advance when those happen. Strange choice.

Last edited:

Bridges

The game is absolutely beautiful. I remember thinking the same of Pikmin 3 when it came out, but viewing the side by sides in the video this is an undeniable improvement.

daclynk

its Crazy what Nintendo 1st party Studios can do with the Unreal Engine. Can wait to see what they come up with Unreal Engine 5 on their Next Generation system. Its one of the Best looking games on the Switch with Luigi's Mansion 3.

Last edited:

daclynk

They did terrible in the past LOL.
AT Where. i dont remember? is it the Feelgood studio? the Dev that made Yoshi crafted world. Its truly shocking with the result as Yoshi woolly world looked incredible on Wii U.

its interesting that Yoshi and Pikimin are game that swapped in house engine from the Wii U to Switch generation. Maybe MP4 as well does why it taking long.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yoshi mix performance. Zelda bad performance and frame pacing issue.
If youre talking about links awakening, thats only when the game is loading new areas, afterwards it was pretty stable (but that could be jarring at times)

daclynk

Yoshi mix performance. Zelda bad performance and frame pacing issue.
Yeah i remember but wasnt that game developed me Feel Good Studio. And they are not 1st party developer. Also Links Awakening was not made in UE.

Fake

Yeah i remember but wasnt that game developed me Feel Good Studio. And they are not 1st party developer. Also Links Awakening was not made in UE.

They are first party IPs mind you. Its up to Nintendo choise whatever they find proper to the job.

And I need to check out Links Awakening because I remember hearing about UE in Digital Foundry video, but now I not so sure.

Top Bottom